JD 7230 CRAZY Electrical problems

/ JD 7230 CRAZY Electrical problems #1  

Buckaroobarnes

Tractor
Bear with me there is a lot of crazy stuff going on.....

2014 7230 Standard Cab

Shuttled into reverse the other day and tractor died.
Eventually found blown ignition fuse behind seat, replaced fuse and started right up.
Drove tractor up the hill and it died again, blew same fuse. This is where it gets weird....

Sometimes the headlights and the flashers come on while it's running (headlight switch in off position). Turn off ignition and start again no change.
If the headlight switch is in on position and you turn the ignition off tractor keeps running but the lights go off.
Intermittently it blows the ignition fuse.
Dome light stays on with door closed.

I have checked a lot of things and disconnected the headlight switch all to no avail.

Hopefully someone here will have some ideas for me.
Thanks in advance.

/ JD 7230 CRAZY Electrical problems #2  
When the battery was going bad on my JD 6415, sometimes on of the warning lights on the ROPS would come ON, but not flash. Also the dash light for the same light would be ON. That happened more and more. Finally the battery would not start the tractor. I replaced the battery and the light stopped coming ON by it self.
I did not have any fuses blow. I am guessing the voltage was lower than it should be and electronic control units were acting up (on my tractor).

/ JD 7230 CRAZY Electrical problems #3  
And sounds like a ground problem, so maybe remove and clean all the ground wire/cable connections that you can find.. hope that is it.

/ JD 7230 CRAZY Electrical problems #4  
After checking grounds try looking for rubbed through areas on insulation or places where rodents may have been snacking on wires. (They took out the headlights in my Dodge Charger.)

/ JD 7230 CRAZY Electrical problems #5  
+1 on rats chewing wires.

If tractor is parked near a hay barn & especially if it sets more than it’s used : LookOut

/ JD 7230 CRAZY Electrical problems #6  
Bear with me there is a lot of crazy stuff going on.....

2014 7230 Standard Cab

Shuttled into reverse the other day and tractor died.
Eventually found blown ignition fuse behind seat, replaced fuse and started right up.
Drove tractor up the hill and it died again, blew same fuse. This is where it gets weird....

Sometimes the headlights and the flashers come on while it's running (headlight switch in off position). Turn off ignition and start again no change.
If the headlight switch is in on position and you turn the ignition off tractor keeps running but the lights go off.
Intermittently it blows the ignition fuse.
Dome light stays on with door closed.

I have checked a lot of things and disconnected the headlight switch all to no avail.

Hopefully someone here will have some ideas for me.
Thanks in advance.

I am guessing a rubbed through harness or rodent damage as well. Check harness where it goes around right rear rops. Harness from fuse panel goes around right rops and up through right console and then under floor mat and into front dash area. I have seen wires rubbed through in that area around right rear rops. Unfortunately it is very hard to access to see. Removal of upholstery panels and disassembly of right console is required to see the problem area.

/ JD 7230 CRAZY Electrical problems #7  
Also, to find a potential bare wire, put a 12v bulb in the place of the fuse that blows.. then when moving wires around the short will light up the bulb indicating you have found the potential bare wire. Saves on replacement fuses too.

What I concocted up that helped me find a bare wire above the upholstered headliner in a previous Citation. Was a nightmare to find it, but when the "light came on" we knew where the short was.

Attachments

• Short_jig.jpg
    Short_jig.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 97