Mowing JD X300 transmission problems

/ JD X300 transmission problems
It sounds like you clearly know your trans-axle is broken and I'm not here to change your mind, only offer my experience with the X300.
I have (2) experiences working on (2) different X300 lawn tractors that were diagnosed with a broken trans-axle. Both times I found that the splines on the ID of the trans-axle belt sheave wore out and the belt sheave was free-wheeling on the (vertical) trans-axle shaft. This makes it appear that the trans-axle is broken because the tractor will not move in either direction. The only way to tell if this is what happened, is to disassemble and remove the tractor seat and foot pan to gain access to this. The sheave is on the top of the trans-axle (under the white plastic fan).
Then you can see if the belt sheave is free-wheeling on the shaft (sheave moves and shaft does not move).
If this is the case, then a new sheave is about $50. If you find this is your issue, I have pics and step by step instructions that I made while I did this. I can send them to you if you like.
Again, if you already checked for this, my apologies and ignore my post.

Yes, A thank you is in order for Hill-Billy, thanks for the great advice. Can't wait to go buy a new sheave, hope it works. I will still drop the transmission and change the fluid if and when I get a couple of days off.

/ JD X300 transmission problems #33  
Glad it worked out for you. Sorry for my long post explaining it, but I don't know everyone's mechanical ability and wanted to be clear with my instruction to help you out. As others have said here, there's easier and quicker ways to get at the sheave.

Well, I changed the Transmission fluid on my X300 (388 hours), the old fluid didn't look grey to me and it was not really black either but it was very dark in color, it did not smell burnt. But I do not know what the original fluid looked like. The magnet was clean. I let it drain for about an hour then I replaced the fluid with Gastrol 5-50W full synthetic. Couldn't find Valvoline or Mobil One 5-50W in the local parts stores. So, I guess the Gastrol will be ok. I had about three Tablespoons of oil left out of 2 quarts.

I used a drill to spin the trans a few times and filled it up to about 3/4 inch from the top. I hope that will be alright. Put it back together and I drove it back and forth multiple times and it seemed to drive fine.

/ JD X300 transmission problems #35  
Sorry BMG I haven't checked this thread till now. The dark color says the oil overheated and it's good you changed it. You should get many more years out of it. Try to keep it clean (K46) - I use a leaf blower on it after every use and I never cut wet grass that will tend to build up on the trans much more.

Thanks for the reply RBL, I suppose it did get hot, I always blow my mower off when I am done and then I hose it down and make sure I rinse off the transmission and then I blow the mower pretty dry before I park it. I really don't worry about the wet grass since I clean my mower completely after each use.

Have a good Thanksgiving and a worship filled Christmas.

/ JD X300 transmission problems #37  
With the K46 transaxle failure is a matter of when , not if. The X370 is the first tractor in the line with a beefy transaxle .

There are many posts stating that changing the fluid in the K46 will either fix a particular issue or at least extend the life of the transmission, others state that the K46 is doomed to failure regardless of a fluid change. My 2010 X300 has 388 hours on it and I thought that exchanging the fluid with 5-50W synthetic was worth a try, it wasn't that hard and was inexpensive. It seemed to function well after the fluid change. It is parked for the winter, this Spring I'll see how it does. If it fails in the future, then it fails. I guess I will either buy a new K46 or figure out which other Tuff Torq model transmission that is more sturdy will fit my X300 without doing modifications. It just is what it is.

/ JD X300 transmission problems #39  
Thanks for the information RBL, I will certainly save your post for the future.

In about 2 years I will be moving on to 40 acres and will also have to get a large tractor with a bucket and a bush-hog on it. I will just use my X300 to mow around the new house and shop (less than an acre). I am thinking about a 50 horse New Holland. I heard New Holland used to be a Ford and have been told New Holland makes good stuff and about 50 horses would be big enough but I am still kicking that can around for now.

Thanks once again for the help.