JD400 Steering play

/ JD400 Steering play #1  

70jd400

Tractor
JD 400 Industrial
I took the old girl down the road today and that was a scary ride! I have noticed the there is play in the wheel but man its a lot worse than i had expected. So when i got home i was looking at it and when i turn the steering wheel right the whole steering wheel turns up and that is about 3/4 of a turn then when you turn left it will go down. So is there an adjustment for this?

/ JD400 Steering play #2  
Well there are certainly people with more 400 expertise than me but from what I can see from the parts breakdown on the JD website the upper steering shaft (21) seems to be held in place by two snap rings (7) and a thrust bearing (11) with more shims and washers between.

It seems likely the snap ring and/or thrust components have failed causing the excess travel. I’d be suspicious if failure of another component in the driven end of the steering system could’ve forced the upper shaft and caused the damage. You wouldn’t want to repair it to have the same thing happen again so hopefully someone more familiar will be able to answer that.

There are a few threads on the Green Tractor Talk forum about these old machines and one of them that was about hydraulic issues had drifted to the topic of steering. I had a look but I didn’t see it. I’d start there, there are a couple members very knowledgeable on these. I only know what I’ve figured out keeping mine running.

View attachment 593194

/ JD400 Steering play
Ok. So it looks like I have the power steering option. I have one hydraulic line on the bottom of the steering column on the right side.

steering parts diag..jpg

/ JD400 Steering play #4  
I don’t have a manual, maybe someone else can offer more advice but if it were me I’d start by looking at the adjustment nut on the top of the stack and confirm there is no damage there and if it takes up some of the slack.

Looking at how the control valve is laid out it looks like there should be some up down travel but if the adjuster nut has been forced out of the threads, something lower down has probably failed forcing the upper control shaft up. I’d probably pull it all apart regardless to be sure nothing else has failed paying particular attention to the snap rings and thrust washers. Also a good time to replace the o rings.

/ JD400 Steering play
the adjuster and adjuster not do not move up and down like the steering wheel does. I tried to turn the adjuster nut by hand to see if it was loose and i couldnt move it. The whole steering shaft moves up and down. Well it looks fun to take this apart. Ill see when i have some time to take it out. Hopefully its just the snap rings.

/ JD400 Steering play #6  
I’ll look forward to the pictures. Hopefully someone else will have some insight also.

I would also ask on GTT, there seemed to be a few people with first hand knowledge of this machine on there.

/ JD400 Steering play #7  
The steering shaft that steering wheel attaches to is designed to move up/down a little as steering wheel is turned from one direction to the other as this movement open/closes control valves in housing. I can't remember the correct amount of movement up/down BUT the top adjusting nut has a specific torque value. I'll bet the steering slack isn't in the valve housing but in the steering lever(key 12)attached to valve housing shaft(loose capscrew) or the bellcrank has worn bushings(key 12) from lack of grease under fuel tank. Remove rear inspection cover in clutch housing & be sure capscrew(key 14) is tight.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    55.9 KB · Views: 491
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    33.1 KB · Views: 432
   / JD400 Steering play #8  
The steering shaft that steering wheel attaches to is designed to move up/down a little as steering wheel is turned from one direction to the other as this movement open/closes control valves in housing. I can't remember the correct amount of movement up/down BUT the top adjusting nut has a specific torque value. I'll bet the steering slack isn't in the valve housing but in the steering lever(key 12)attached to valve housing shaft(loose capscrew) or the bellcrank has worn bushings(key 12) from lack of grease under fuel tank. Remove rear inspection cover in clutch housing & be sure capscrew(key 14) is tight.

You might get by with replacing the bushings, but shaft of bellcrank could also be worn. Then there are tie rod & drag link ends that are most likely worn too.

/ JD400 Steering play
I can turn the steering wheel 3/4 of a turn before the drag link even starts to move. I removed the cover on the left side of the transmission housing to look at the steering lever and the steering wheel moves 3/4 of a turn before that even starts to move

/ JD400 Steering play #10  
Looks like you narrowed it down to the column.