John Deere 2040 Hydraulic squeal fixed or not?

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic squeal fixed or not? #1  

Jim83

Tractor
John Deere 2040
I removed the check valve between the transmission hydraulic pump and the front main pump, and the squeal from the front pump is gone after listening to it for 3 years.

Can I leave out the check valve? or will this cause other issues?

Any guesses as to why removing this check valve got rid of the lines shaking and the front pump squealing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

Texas

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic squeal fixed or not?
The check value is on the supply line going to the front pump

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic squeal fixed or not? #3  
Welcome to TBN
Is your tractors serial # below or above 266,749? My guess is with check valve missing that hyd squeal is missing then check valve must have been blocking flow to pump. My 1st thought is check valve/seat were installed backwards.

Thanks for the response, I agree that the check valve must be reducing the flow of oil to the front pump somehow. I looked at the manual 6 times to be sure I had the check valve installed correctly.

I also looked at it from a logic standpoint of oil flow, and it seems logical. The ball is on transmission pump side, and the spring is on the front pump side. I assume the transmission pump pushed oil and opens up the check valve, I also assume when the tractor is not running, this check valve stops oil from running back into the sump area of the transmission pump from the front pump .

I just wonder if leaving the check valve out is going to cause a problem, and I also wonder if the transmission pump is getting so weak it will not push enough oil past the check valve for proper operation. I check the transmission pump last year, and it had good flow.

With the check valve out, the tractor sounds better that it has in 3 years. The front pump is not squealing anymore and the lines are not shaking. 319000L

319000L

I did notice that in one john deere schematic the check valve was on the supply line that goes to the oil reservoir, and on another diagram the check valve is on the supply line that goes to the front hydraulic pump.

Last edited:
   / John Deere 2040 Hydraulic squeal fixed or not? #6  
Tech manual 4300 for 2040 shows check valve on line leading to hyd pump from hyd filter. Ball on check valve is on filter end. Your tractors serial # indicates it has closed center hyd system.

Thanks you! That is the way I believe I had everything put together. My guess is the transmission pump is a little weak or other blockage causing this.

Anyone know why there a two supply lines to the front hydraulic pump? One goes to the top of the oil reservoir and the other one with the check valve goes directly to the front hydraulic pump?

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic squeal fixed or not? #8  
Thanks you! That is the way I believe I had everything put together. My guess is the transmission pump is a little weak or other blockage causing this.

Anyone know why there a two supply lines to the front hydraulic pump? One goes to the top of the oil reservoir and the other one with the check valve goes directly to the front hydraulic pump?
That's return/overflow from the reservoir. If you have an oil cooler (right of radiator), flow will first go through the oil cooler, then return to sump.

Thank you !!- Ok, that make more since - I don't have an oil cooler, but I understand now. Any excess oil flows out of the top of the reservoir back to the sump.

I am beginning to think no one knows if the check valve on the supply line to the front hydraulic pump is important or not. I will likely just run the tractor without the check valve since it seems to run so much better without the check valve.

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic squeal fixed or not? #10  
I'm by no means an expert on this system, but my feeling is that Mother Deere didn't put that check valve in there just so people could guess at it's purpose. I would suspect that without it, over a long enough period of time, much of the fluid in both the surge tank and even the pump could eventually drain back into the filter and transmission pump circuit leaving the pump relatively empty. On startup in this condition it could take a while for that fluid to made up so the hydraulics and steering will function. Would that happen overnight? Probably not, but after a few days/weeks of non use it might show up. I'm not saying there isn't a problem of some sort with your check valve, but it would seem to me repairing or replacing it might be a better alternative to tossing it under the bench.