John Deere 2040 Hydraulic squeal fixed or not?

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic squeal fixed or not? #21  
First, the check valve missing will cause no problem other than oil draining back and possibly causing hesitation of hydraulic function on start up. I have seen many missing ones over the years. It is easy to have one fallout when splitting the tractor and it falls out of the line.
Second, it is entirely possible the supply and return lines are reversed where they fit into the clutch housing ports. The check valve should be in the line closest to right side of tractor as you are sitting in seat.

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic squeal fixed or not? #22  
What app do I need to see the fotos ?
Screenshot_20211220-080217.jpg

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic squeal fixed or not?
Thank everyone for your response. The information came from a John Deere technician.
Jim83
I think presence or absence of this low pressure(155-165 psi) check valve will have little affect on whether a hyd seal fails. May I ask where this info originated?

Thanks to everyone who responded. I am going to continue to run the 2040 without the check valve. I started this thread thinking it might help all those other 2040 users with squealing hydraulic pumps up front like mine.

I am sure the squealing could be from a lot of factors, but removing the check valve made my entire tractor run better - from being able to easily engage the pto, to a big reduction in the total noise of the tractor, to my oil lines not shaking anymore, and even the clutch seems to be working better.

Thanks again for all the help and info - it so cool seeing you guys diagnose these old tractors. After 3 plus years, I feel like my tractor is finally running the way it should. Jimmy

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic squeal fixed or not? #28  
You're welcome. It would have been much easier when I served as a JD dealer service manager back in 1975-1987 if these type tractor discussion forums had existed.

2040 has a dry traction clutch that should not be affected by hyd operation or affect hyd operation in any manner.

A couple of related questions. It looks like to me that both of the low pressure lines show a check valve in the diagram. I'm I correct in what I am seeing. Are both these lines supplying oil to the front hydraulic pump? or is the line coming from the top of the reservoir letting oil go back to the sump of the transmission pump?

I have no oil cooler.

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic squeal fixed or not? #30  
Parts catalog parts description states one of each piece of check valve

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-23 101443.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-23 101443.png
    359.1 KB · Views: 70