John Deere rep going to take tractor

/ John Deere rep going to take tractor #71  
So what did the OP end up doing? There has only been the OP from the OP so far. Did they buy a tractor?

/ John Deere rep going to take tractor #72  
First time posting something like this! So I’m looking at purchasing a 1025R with loader, backhoe, and 60” mower deck. Had the quote and price looked good, said I’d take it but wanted the 84 month 0% financing. I got the e-sign and wasn’t able to look at it till that evening and the price was different than I thought it was going to be. So on the way home from picking up my kid from daycare I stopped at a different dealership just to see what I could get for a price from them. They are in the same dealer network and said they wouldn’t be able to sell me the tractor after figuring out a price because they didn’t want to step on any toes! I figured no problem I would just call the salesman when I get home and see what was up with the Price and I had a couple other questions anyway. At that point I didn’t even know what size bucket was on the loader or the bucket on the backhoe. So as I’m driving home I get a call and the guy states he’s the regional rep, and that he’s taking my name off the list and the tractor is going to be sold to someone else! I was like wait just a second I never said I didn’t want the tractor. He said it didn’t matter anymore, if I was at another place I didn’t want the tractor. I kept arguing that he couldn’t just take the tractor, finally I said let me talk to my salesman and get some answers to my questions. He said he would give me two hours and if the paper wasn’t signed the tractor would be going to someone else! Well at that point I’m mad and that takes a lot! And my salesman was trying to call 3 times as I’m trying to keep this guy from not holding my tractor and selling it to someone else. When I hang up I try to call my salesman back but he doesn’t answer, so I figure this rep had talked to him and he was calling to say I couldn’t have the tractor anymore. So now I’m really mad so when I get home I called a dealer not in their net work and they actually have what I’m looking for also. He wasn’t able to match the price but wasn’t far off. The only thing is is that they are 2+ hours away. But right now I’m at the point in the morning when I’m done with work, I might just call him back and tell him I’m going to buy from him. I would feel bad for the salesman loosing the sale, but if that’s the way I’m treated from their dealer network and I don’t even own the tractor yet I can only image how I would be treated in the future. What would you guys do in a situation like this?
Typical of JD these days.

Mahindra has them beat on quality and price. Name brand don't get the job done.

/ John Deere rep going to take tractor #73  
JD isn't the only company which thinks they still own the product after you've paid for it. One of my hobbies is watch repair. Turns out that Swatch Group now owns a large number of "big name" watches, which names they bought up cheap when quartz watches knocked mechanical watches basically out of the game. Swatch also owns ETA, which makes most of the quartz movements in European watches and lots of them assembled in other places as well. Parts are getting really tough to find, and are getting expensive when you can find them.

Anyway, I bought a "big name" watch, lovely thing, it has a comma in the price tag.

Needed to know something about it, they snootily told me "We don't like people going into our watches."

Look, dude (I actually said something a lot stronger), this is MY watch now, not yours, and if I want to go into it, I darn well will.

The internet is a wonderful thing . . . I found everything I needed online, no problems, learned to do it and fixed the watch myself for a tenth of what they wanted.

Watch parts are rather smaller and lighter than tractor parts (10,000 watch screws weigh less than an ounce!), but the theory is exactly the same - *I* own it, *I* can do with it what I please, and if that doesn't please the seller, well that's just too d*** bad.

JD also isn't the only company with salesman problems. Porsche sales in the US were going down, down, down and the company wasn't pleased. They discovered that the sales staff was treating the cars like museum pieces, no test drives, no, you can't sit in it, no we won't special order anything, this is what we have.

The factory "cleaned house" with typical Teutonic thoroughness (you don't want to know), and all of a sudden, the cars started selling again . . .

Mike in Florida

Who was looking at a 190E years ago and was told "You aren't ready for a Mercedes". It is now six Mercedes' later, and I'm very glad I didn't listen to the sales droid.

AND

Who was looking for an airplane and went to an FBO with a pocket full of cash and asked about three that were for sale. Nobody could be bothered to talk to me, so later that day, I bought one from somebody else, for cash, thank you, and I still have it.

/ John Deere rep going to take tractor #74  
Again I say, JD product sells itself.

Not defending the dealer employees, that's another story.

But don't confuse the two.

/ John Deere rep going to take tractor #75  
Be nice if OP were to come back on.

But it sounds like lack of communication on really both sides, I suspect the OP was just trying to get his/her facts correct by shopping before calling-visiting the dealership again. If your thinking 10 and the quote is 12... sometimes you go else where to verify the 10 was the correct # in your head so you don't look like an idiot when you call 1st place again to verify #'s. did I miss remember, was that the other machine, did I add on some $$ option, 2nd sticker...

The first dealer obviously went postal for no real meaningful reason, sure it sucks to spend time and loos a sale but I can tell you yelling at me has the opposite effect. maybe 9 out of 10 people fold and sign the contract after a call like that but. I would let them dig the hole then calmly ask them what are you talking about? I stopped by X because I wanted to look at identical machine again without bothering you, and they insisted on giving me a price. I was actually about to call you to verify the price as I had some Q and sign the contract but if you don't want to sell a machine to me ok. I can call Fred back at Kubota he is offering me a great option on a XYZ and if your not selling to me anymore I guess I only have the one option now.

What the dealer should have done is reached out asking how you were doing and if you had any Q. Sure maybe mention they knew you went to another store and see where the conversation went. I suspect it would have built a relation VS 1 night stand with out the sex.

Before I purchased... IF still I would make sure they were eating crow.... remember how you called me up and were cursing at me... haha good old times..

In terms of the big chain stores, sadly it has happened on the west side of the US as well, hard to price shop anything and as I have been looking this week prices are inflated at the chain stores like 20k on a 40k machine else where. I guess they only need to sell 1 machine a month with profit margins like that. But it's to a point where I can't justify the expense either.

I think I just learned my new tactic in buying something.. get to the point of signing and then take a pause... If they are cool then sign... If they turn into idiots... well keep walking.

/ John Deere rep going to take tractor #76  
Again I say, JD product sells itself.

Not defending the dealer employees, that's another story.

But don't confuse the two.
Ha! JD 50hp and under use to be quality decades ago. That isn't the case today and that's a fact.

/ John Deere rep going to take tractor #77  
JD isn't the only company which thinks they still own the product after you've paid for it. One of my hobbies is watch repair. Turns out that Swatch Group now owns a large number of "big name" watches, which names they bought up cheap when quartz watches knocked mechanical watches basically out of the game. Swatch also owns ETA, which makes most of the quartz movements in European watches and lots of them assembled in other places as well. Parts are getting really tough to find, and are getting expensive when you can find them.

Anyway, I bought a "big name" watch, lovely thing, it has a comma in the price tag.

Needed to know something about it, they snootily told me "We don't like people going into our watches."

Look, dude (I actually said something a lot stronger), this is MY watch now, not yours, and if I want to go into it, I darn well will.

The internet is a wonderful thing . . . I found everything I needed online, no problems, learned to do it and fixed the watch myself for a tenth of what they wanted.

Watch parts are rather smaller and lighter than tractor parts (10,000 watch screws weigh less than an ounce!), but the theory is exactly the same - *I* own it, *I* can do with it what I please, and if that doesn't please the seller, well that's just too d*** bad.

JD also isn't the only company with salesman problems. Porsche sales in the US were going down, down, down and the company wasn't pleased. They discovered that the sales staff was treating the cars like museum pieces, no test drives, no, you can't sit in it, no we won't special order anything, this is what we have.

The factory "cleaned house" with typical Teutonic thoroughness (you don't want to know), and all of a sudden, the cars started selling again . . .

Mike in Florida

Who was looking at a 190E years ago and was told "You aren't ready for a Mercedes". It is now six Mercedes' later, and I'm very glad I didn't listen to the sales droid.

AND

Who was looking for an airplane and went to an FBO with a pocket full of cash and asked about three that were for sale. Nobody could be bothered to talk to me, so later that day, I bought one from somebody else, for cash, thank you, and I still have it.
Interesting.

(Off topic)

Have two old gold pocket time pieces which need new crystals.

Have been unable to locate replacement crystals.

The few who claim to know where to get them require me to ship them the watches. (NOT)

Trust is Gone with the Wind.

Any suggestions?

/ John Deere rep going to take tractor #78  
Not saying this is the case here. But you gotta love people that are so impatient to buy, agree to a deal, then find a better deal and try to undo or ammend the first.

/ John Deere rep going to take tractor #79  
Last week I called my local orange dealer about getting a rear blade. I got a price, but did not commit to buying it. The price was okay based on the limited information I had. On Saturday I drove over to look at it. The salesman, not the one I had talked to (he was not there), said they had two. I had to ask to see them. They were still in the crate and not really possible to see. I knew more about the blade than the salesman did. I said it looked like some assembly was required. He said yeah they could go that, and then went into a song and dance about how they could even attach it to my tractor. Not sure why he felt that was necessary.

I asked how long it would take to get assembled. Another song and dance, but it wasn't going to be ready for me to pick up that day. So there went my plans, but I still sort of wanted it. So I asked for the price. He asked what the other guy said. Why did that matter? Anyway I told him $900, which was the price I was quoted. That is double what I paid for the one I got from TSC, but it doesn't have tilt. So he goes to his computer and the price is now $1000. I said it was $900 yesterday. He said he could take a dollar off and sell it for $999. Since I talked on the phone I didn't have anything in writing. I also didn't think I needed anything. I wasn't asking for a deal. I just said what is your price over the phone. He didn't say none hundred and something he said $900. I thought that was a bit high, but was willing to pay it. But the extra $100 was too far for me to go. So I thanked him for wasting my time and I don't believe I will ever go back there. I stopped on the way home and called the other Kubota dealer. They were busy, but said they had one and it was $930. They were supposed to call me back, but didn't. I get that there may not be a lot of profit on a $900 blade. But, why have such an inefficient sales method. I have to call someone and get them to tell me the price. When I go there nothing has a price on it and no one there seems capable or willing to take the time to help me get what I need/want.

TSC has its issues, but at least I can see price and inventory and while I had to drive a ways out of my way, I found a store that had stock that I could see the whole blade and make the decision to purchase. It has been fine. I really want tilt to deal with the edges of my driveway, so I am stuck.

EA is 3 months out and they charge the CC on order but say they won't ship for 12 weeks. It might be good, but I am outside the free shipping area so another $250-300 for shipping makes it much less desirable.

While COVID-19 might have made it worse, I have never found tractor dealers very willing/able to help me.

/ John Deere rep going to take tractor #80  
Back in the 80s Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus we're both designing kinda upscale golf communities around Raleigh, thats where barney goes to party. I am not into living in upscale communities but, I love golf and a good real estate investment so......about 1990?

It was a Saturday, beautiful morning but gonna get hot. My wife, 5 year old and I jumped in my 73 olds 88 convertible and went to the big sales event at the Nicklaus property. Large tents, lots of goodies to eat, pretty young girls chatting everyone up. And hot as he//.

I was in jeans and a tee shirt, so for me, i got really dressed up but, i guess they thought I was not worthy because we were absolutely ignored, for 10-20-25 minutes?

I have a policy....I will say.... either we get some attention in the next 3 minutes or i'm walking out. Mostly restaurants. Of course we walked and no one stopped us.

I bought a lot at the other course, the Palmer course, and promptly sent a note to the developer of the Nicklaus property. The note went to the owners group, not the salesman.

I received a letter begging me to comeback. Big discounts etc.

Michael Jordon was a member at the arnie course I bought in to.....turns out they give people like him free memberships just so they can say he's a member. I bet he don't even know where it is.....Durham NC. Go Duke!

In sales it cost 10 times more to add a new customer than to keep an existing one.