Joystick cable adjustment....maybe!

/ Joystick cable adjustment....maybe! #1  

RNeumann

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1538
I’m borrowing the neighbor’s tractor which is a 10ish year old Kubota probably in the 40-50hp range. It has two interesting things happening.
1- if the 3 pt control lever is all the way up the loader controls are very slow. Moving the lever down even a small amount brings back full loader controls.

2- the loader joystick seems like it’s out of adjustment or something- it’s 2 cable controls for the valves. When the joystick is pushed all the way forward to float the lift cylinders the slow down but continue moving down. After the bucket touches the ground it takes about 10 seconds and the front wheels are no longer touching the ground. In other words it won’t float!

I can live with the first issue- heck that might be normal. But I know the second isn’t right- the joystick control pic is still on the machine and it shows float.

I am wondering if this sounds like a simple cable adjustment or does it sound like a bad joystick or something else. I am happy to spend a little time to make a simple fix/adjustment. But I don’t think it’s appropriate to make more extensive repairs to a borrowed machine.

Thx

/ Joystick cable adjustment....maybe! #2  
I would certainly look at the cables to see if it could be adjusted to make the float feature operate.

Another possible problem on an older machine is that the float detent assembly is full of crud not allowing the spool to shift fully.

/ Joystick cable adjustment....maybe! #3  
After awhile those cables will stretch and give a sloppy feel to the joystick.
Also the detents on the valve can accumulate crud and rust which keeps them from functioning.

/ Joystick cable adjustment....maybe! #4  
I can tell you the first issue is not right and should be fixed, it means the upper limit hydraulics cutoff for the 3-pt is not adjusted right, so it's still trying to lift and thus bleeding flow/pressure. Is it position control or quarter-incher?

/ Joystick cable adjustment....maybe!
I would certainly look at the cables to see if it could be adjusted to make the float feature operate.

Another possible problem on an older machine is that the float detent assembly is full of crud not allowing the spool to shift fully.

Ok thx- is the float detent assembly on the valve or joystick? Both are easy to get to.

After awhile those cables will stretch and give a sloppy feel to the joystick.
Also the detents on the valve can accumulate crud and rust which keeps them from functioning.

Ok I’ll clean, inspect and lube the valve rods and linkage.

Thx

I can tell you the first issue is not right and should be fixed, it means the upper limit hydraulics cutoff for the 3-pt is not adjusted right, so it's still trying to lift and thus bleeding flow/pressure. Is it position control or quarter-incher?

I assume it’s a position control as I’ve never heard of a quarter incher. The lever adjusts height based on lever location.
Does the position control have a little stop of something similar that’s easy to spot and adjust or is it more complex than that?

/ Joystick cable adjustment....maybe! #8  
Float detent assembly is under the spool end cover on the valve. Opposite end from where the cable connects

Float detent assembly is under the spool end cover on the valve. Opposite end from where the cable connects

Perfect thx!

Is the adjustment for the 3 pt dead heading when all the way up an easy adjust too?

/ Joystick cable adjustment....maybe! #10  
I do not know about the 3 pt adjustment on that Kubota. Suspect it is some external linkage but I do NOT know that for a fact.

Might want to look along the right side of the tractor for feed back linkage from the lift arms. On my Branson it is out in the open and a simple adjustment. Again not sure about the Kubota.