Testing with 28"

j670lives.jpg
j670xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg
j670xx.jpg
j670xxx.jpg
j670x.jpg

/ Just another junk chainsaw
#1,182  
Rebuilding a carb on a saw before shipping it out. Can see where some fines had gone in over the years too.

Diaphragms were getting stiff. Symptoms would show up in cuts.

whdb.jpg
whdbb.jpg
whdbbb.jpg
whdbbbb.jpg

/ Just another junk chainsaw #1,183  
I have three Echo chainsaws; two are fairly new (CS-490) and one I bought off a friend that's probably 10 yrs old. All three work fine.

However, I 'm wondering how often you should replace chains?

I use a Stihl chain sharpener after each use of the chainsaw. Two of the saws weren't cutting that great (after I sharpened them) and the chains were about a year old. I do hit dirt on occasion since I'm felling trees and try to get the stump down low.

I had two new chains so replaced the two that weren't cutting well.

I'm wondering if I my sharpening skills need improving or chains just need replacing?

#1,184  
I have three Echo chainsaws; two are fairly new (CS-490) and one I bought off a friend that's probably 10 yrs old. All three work fine.

However, I 'm wondering how often you should replace chains?

I use a Stihl chain sharpener after each use of the chainsaw. Two of the saws weren't cutting that great (after I sharpened them) and the chains were about a year old. I do hit dirt on occasion since I'm felling trees and try to get the stump down low.

I had two new chains so replaced the two that weren't cutting well.

I'm wondering if I my sharpening skills need improving or chains just need replacing?

I run them till there isnt anymore cutter left almost.

Also as cutter is moved backwards from sharpening you need to be lowering your raker down too.

/ Just another junk chainsaw #1,185  
I run them till there isnt anymore cutter left almost.

Also as cutter is moved backwards from sharpening you need to be lowering your raker down too.

Doesn't the Stihl chain sharpener automatically file the rake while sharpening the cutter?

Stihl chain sharpener

#1,187  
Had to go back in the carb. Missed the fulcrum height by a ;)

smidgen.

All good now.

I even used the W walbro tool to set first time. It was so close but wasnt happy. 🙃

c37fulcrum.jpg

#1,188  
Dont know if I showed all of this. Working on these older jred is so much fun. Things I have found out changes for year to year. 4 different clutch covers and brake parts on series.

Bought the husky 272 to get some parts from. Then found some NOS jred parts like brake band etc.

The grey husky handle fit better as far as room for hand. The black handle ended up being for a super and made less room for hand. Didnt like that.

Black inner cover was for the super too not for the champ cover. So came up short.

j670h272.jpg
j670needs.jpg
j670cb.jpg

j670cbbbbbbb.jpg

Last edited:
#1,189  
Found a outer spike and while I was at it. Bought this full wrap for it too.

Figure they are hard enough to find. Better grab it just in case.

Oh that brake handle in black above was to close to my liking. A dealer of them told me that was prob a brake handle for a super which was different then super II and champ brake handles.
So took it back off and went with a clack one I had in parts bin. Much better now.

j670fww.jpg
j670fwwww.jpg
j670pcccc.jpg
j670pc.jpg

#1,190  
Paint can wait IMHO. Full wrap has enough on it anyway. Half the one that lost almost all of the paint.

Going to piece it together in one post from yesterday.

Now to redneck me some full wrap brackets to work.

Got my pieces cut to make brackets.

To cool my poulans that use a lot of 2 series parts happens to have the full wrap fasteners. 1 in each saw. Good thing I have a bunch of parts saws on hand. These things list for $5.79 each through husky. The longer ones.

First try rednecking. Used a old 2 series inner spike to make a strong outer brace deal.

Good enough for now.

Whats left of a inner 2 series spike. Then grind to fit slot.

j670z.jpg
j670zz.jpg
j670zzz.jpg
j670zzzz.jpg
j670zzzzz.jpg
j670zzzzzz.jpg
j670zzzzzzz.jpg