Just bought 6 acre of land. Now what???

/ Just bought 6 acre of land. Now what??? #111  
Trouble is loggers leave the stumps and brush, plus only take the good trees and leave the smaller stuff or trees they can’t make money on. If you ask them to get rid of the slash, they probably will turn the job down.
While it's true you'll still need the property stumped after it's logged, but at least in my part of the world most loggers chip any slash. Then again, we have biomass (wood chip) power plants, so it's extra revenue for them. This would vary by region/state.
A bigger issue would be to find loggers who'd take on a relatively small job like this.

/ Just bought 6 acre of land. Now what??? #112  
Have you investigated a small ICF or SIPs build?
My goal will be something low cost, unless I decide to move there permanent, then I would sell my existing house and have the funds to build larger.

I started a new thread on it:

/ Just bought 6 acre of land. Now what???
Still plucking away at the property. Although I hit a snag earlier today and had to have my wife pick me up.

I was tossing a large branch into the burn pile and the branch snatched my glasses 🫣🫣🫣 Glasses ended up in the middle of the coals

Had to hit the 1hr eye glass place. Managed to sweet talk the eye doctor for a last minute exam since it's the weekend and I couldn't call my regular eye doctor for my prescription.

Course late in the day, some my new glasses won't be ready till Tuesday.

Had my wife run me into work and got my prescription safety glasses so I can still drive this weekend But they aren't quite as clear as regular glasses.

Been bulldozing sections of the property with our old push mower. I got so fed up with stuff grabbing my ankles and boots. The plus side to this is if I can get through there with the push mower, I'll definitely be able to go through there with the Zero turn later

So I've been getting the bigger stuff out with the chain saw. The going through it with the push mower. It's much faster then chainsaw and weed eater.

Once we're out living on the property, we'll invest in another tractor.

20230527_114235.jpg

/ Just bought 6 acre of land. Now what??? #115  
Can't be too far in the country--I see a fire hydrant. ;) But that should save something on insurance.

Come on--We have campfires down here bigger than that. :cool:

Can't be too far in the country--I see a fire hydrant. ;) But that should save something on insurance.

That's was part of the selling point. Just far enough out for piece and quiet, but a 6 mile round trip to the grocery store.

15 miles to the city and all the amenities.

The other big selling point was city water on the property. Well water in the area is sketchy. It's either high Sulphur content, or high iron content. The home's we looked at that had wells in that area all had high iron content.

Required a home filtration system and really poor water pressure.

The lot north of us can't be built on. It's in a bowl where all the water from the surrounding area drains too.

We have a 400ft buffer of oak trees between our build site and the 4acres being built on behind us.

And a cow pasture across the street.

Lot south of us is vacant field. And we can leave a buffer of trees for privacy. The people who own it have a house in the woods behind the field.

So no neighbors in site.

/ Just bought 6 acre of land. Now what??? #117  

They tell me that means there is at least a 6" water line under. Nothing like that within mile of my property. They say its 2" or 3" at my meter.

/ Just bought 6 acre of land. Now what??? #118  

Unfortunately someone around here had their campfire get away from them and caused a 2400 acres forest fire. Not many details so far. Be careful with fires. Jon

They tell me that means there is at least a 6" water line under. Nothing like that within mile of my property. They say its 2" or 3" at my meter.
We got lucky. On the east end of the road our property is on, they are maxed out on the water main.

If we had purchased the property over there we would have been stuck drilling a well even with the water main on the property.

/ Just bought 6 acre of land. Now what??? #120  
That's was part of the selling point. Just far enough out for piece and quiet, but a 6 mile round trip to the grocery store.

15 miles to the city and all the amenities.
88 miles round trip to the grocery store for me and 91 to the Walmart.