Just discovered my Kubota has skid steer front tires.

/ Just discovered my Kubota has skid steer front tires. #21  
My R-4 front tires are "a little worn",, but, not ready for replacement ,, yet!!
They turn real nice on grass,, almost like a turf tire.

grill4.jpg

/ Just discovered my Kubota has skid steer front tires. #23  
get that Fram filter off your JD :)

I KNEW that I would get fussed at for that,,
I put that on while I was waiting for Amazon to deliver the WIX filter!!

I figured it was better than a dirty filter,, if only for a few engine hours,,

/ Just discovered my Kubota has skid steer front tires. #24  
okay your off the hook for now. those R4's sure are worn but if they work for you and are easier on your turf than why not.

People seem to hate the R4's but I like the fact that they seem to wear out slowly and are more puncture resistant. and for what I do with my tractor they seem to work fine in the mud that is on my property. Never have gotten stuck. my rears are studded as well and that seems to work well on ice atleast compared to my b7800 that were not studded.

/ Just discovered my Kubota has skid steer front tires.
. . . those R4's sure are worn but if they work for you and are easier on your turf than why not.
Regarding tire wear, I wanted to find out how much tread my R4s had left compared to the same tire new. My tires have, as best I can figure between 3/8 and 7/16 inches of tread height left in the middle of the tire (I bent a curved ruler over the center of the tire and measured up to the bottom of the ruler). Checking the specs on line for the same tire it states the treads are 20.2, but does not say what that is in, but I am assuming it is in millimeters. Converting that to inches it comes to a shade over 3/4 inches (0.795 inches). So, my tread is about half of what it would be on the same tire new. That is measured in the middle of the tire - the outside edges of the tires seem to be more worn down - and I guess that would make sense as that part of the tire could get more wear.

Anyway, I think I can get some more hours out of the tires.

Last edited:
   / Just discovered my Kubota has skid steer front tires. #28  
Run them until the air in them shows.

I had a local tire guy put two take-off tires on my trailer yesterday.
The tires on it were tubeless, and the tires were so old, the tread broke away from the inner casing of the tire.

The inner casing was bulging out like a balloon,,,

The tire guy laughed, and said that I had almost lost the air out of the tire,,, :ROFLMAO:

/ Just discovered my Kubota has skid steer front tires. #29  
After my tires crack and leak air through the cracks I put tubes in them and use them until they are all worn out. I just don‘t drive the tractor around corners at 50 mph. Also the belts provide the strength not the rubber.

/ Just discovered my Kubota has skid steer front tires. #30  
After my tires crack and leak air through the cracks I put tubes in them and use them until they are all worn out. I just don‘t drive the tractor around corners at 50 mph. Also the belts provide the strength not the rubber.

If I was smart, I would have done that. Instead, I bought new tires. I put skid steel tires on my BX: