Just got my first tractor. Tips for mowing steep slopes?

/ Just got my first tractor. Tips for mowing steep slopes? #1  

tallguy104

Bronze Member
Tractor
B2301
So I finally took delivery of my Kubota B2301 with underbelly mower. I've had a go at mowing our 2 acres of pasture, half of which is pretty steep (20-25 degrees). I mowed straight up and down the slope as advised, following the manual's advice to back up the slopes rather than drive head first up hill. Hitting slight depressions and lumps at that angle is enough to make the tractor feel like it's getting close to rolling over, though. It was a little scary at times.

So any tips for a newbie mowing slopes would be appreciated!

I couple of specific questions:

1. The tractor came equipped with a loader + bucket, and I also have a box blade and a rotary-tiller (not yet connected). Is it best to mow slopes with or without these attachments? I did wonder whether having the loader on the front might give it some extra front weight so I could mow forward up the hill, rather than backing up the hills. Am I correct? Also, if I put the tiller / box blade on the back and keep it low to the ground, won't this also help prevent the tractor from tipping over backwards when mowing forward up a hill?
2. Is it possible to space the wheels wider on this tractor? Is it an expensive upgrade? Would this make much off a noticeable difference to its stability on slopes?
3. If I do tip the tractor over, will the ROPS and seatbelt save me, or is there still a good chance of getting killed? Will tipping the tractor over damage the tractor / mower at all?

/ Just got my first tractor. Tips for mowing steep slopes? #2  
Mate, operating your tractor, especially on gradients, is all about balance = front and rear weight.

A FEL with bucket PLUS your box blade (a ballast box, carried as low as practical would be better), whilst going up and backing down slowly will keep you safe. Take your time on these inclines and you'll be fine, as long as you keep your FEL & 3PH implement low in order to keep the tractor's centre of gravity as low as possible.

Don't get cocky. ;)

Reversing your front tyres (as easy as swapping the wheels around) will help on braking on steep inclines. It won't harm anything on regular operation. As long as you don't cross the extreme incline you'll be stable.

If it all goes to custard and you do tip the tractor, as long as you're wearing the seatbelt, then the ROPS will save you.

/ Just got my first tractor. Tips for mowing steep slopes? #3  
I mow around 1 3/4 acres. I have a JD X570. About 60% of my "lawn" is really meadows that I consistently mow. It's all flat but rough ground. My lawns are primarily for fire protection around my house and out buildings. I keep all this area - low and green.

On steep slopes - go slow, do what you can to your tractor to prevent rollover, be aware of "pitfalls".

"Pitfalls" being - radical changes in slope, holes where a tire can drop into, large and hidden objects.

/ Just got my first tractor. Tips for mowing steep slopes? #4  
Spacers on the rears are generally added for across slope operation, but 20-25 degrees is way too steep to even attempt it. I would imagine that spacers would still add stability going up and down the slope if a wheel were to fall into a depression. They certainly won't hurt.
Increased weight by loading the rears would be a good idea for low slung weight. As far as the loader is concerned, I consider a fel to be a liability on a slope, but as already mentioned you can mitigate this with having something heavy on the 3 point.
Everyone is implying it, but it deserves stating outright... Make sure you are in 4wd.

/ Just got my first tractor. Tips for mowing steep slopes? #5  
Tallguy, are you sure the manual says to back up the hill and drive down? That is exactly opposite of what I would do. I try to keep the weight on my back wheels as much as possible.

I would drive up the hill and back down the hill always in 4WD and slow.

/ Just got my first tractor. Tips for mowing steep slopes? #6  
If you have bucket keep low to ground,steep sloes I find it's safer to backup,rear weight of sort big help,4ws for better traction,in doubt don't try it,wear seat belt.

/ Just got my first tractor. Tips for mowing steep slopes? #7  
Actually - if this is your first tractor and you are new to tractors - it would be wise to stay off the steep slopes until you gain more confidence. The steep slopes and tall grass aren't going anywhere. Learn on flat land and gentle slopes.

My rule of thumb - if it feels unsafe, it most likely is unsafe. And sure will be, if I'm up there and a wheel drops into an unseen hole or depression.

A slope that is 20 to 25 degrees is a place I will never be with my tractor - at least, going across the slope.

/ Just got my first tractor. Tips for mowing steep slopes? #8  
No easy way to say it but tractors and slopes dont really mix well. As you say any little bump can throw things off. Straight up and back down is the best way, but super time consuming. Larger mowing operations use a batwing to help stabilize on slopes but there is no denying physics. Personally I would use a different machine on slopes. If thats not an option go really slow, be sure you have your ROPS up and seatbelt on. Once you get more practice at it you will likely be able to increase speed a bit.

/ Just got my first tractor. Tips for mowing steep slopes? #9  
Look in you owners manual about wheel width spacing. There are numerous width’s you can set to by simply moving wheels around to take advantage of the offsets of mounting hardware on rims and the dish offset of the centers. The wider the better up to a point. I wouldnt want it wider than my cutter.

/ Just got my first tractor. Tips for mowing steep slopes? #10  
The mower should eliminate side flips.
Backing up steep slopes would be preferable. A filled bucket kept low would allow either direction.