KK Tiller - Added row markers and other mods

/ KK Tiller - Added row markers and other mods #1  

Ford850

Tractor
Case DX55, Ford 850
I recently purchased a King Kutter 84" tiller. It's been raining every day for over a week and water is standing everywhere, and another 7 days of rain are in the forecast. It will be some time before my soil dries enough to get into the garden, and I'm getting the itch. While I'm waiting, I built a simple wood cart with 4 caster wheels to move the tiller in and out of a storage corner in the barn.
I also added a S-hook to the exisiting back gate chain, crimping one end so it hangs on there permanently. By leaving the other end half open I can adjust the gate height easily by looping the hook on a higher link to shorten the chain temporarily.
Then i added 2 pieces of Uni-Strut, cut to fit between the outside edges of the gate and the welded tab that holds the lower end of the chain. I dipped the cut ends in some yellow paint. I drilled and bolted the Uni-Strut through the 1" square tube along the lower edge of the gate, using 3 bolts per side. I added 3/8" Uni-Strut nuts and had some 'knob bolts' that fit those nuts. Regular bolts would work but knobs really make adjustments a breeze. I think they can be bought at Lowes, etc. A trip to TSC landed me 4 cultivator points. The 'knob handled' bolts hold on the cultivator points and can be adjusted easily. They can be slid anywhere along the Uni-Strut to match my row spacing. I have it set up for four 28" rows in the pictures. Since the welded chain tab is slightly off center, I can also set up 3 rows with the middle one centered if I want. You can see the points hang down about 3 inches below the gate with the gate raised about 7" above the lowest cutting tines. The gate should be dragging the soil and the points cutting nice rows as it is set up now. I also show how I can rotate the points out of the way within seconds when needed.

Attachments

• P1000699.jpg
    P1000699.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 449
  • P1000700.jpg
    P1000700.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 405
  • P1000704.jpg
    P1000704.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 409
  • P1000702.jpg
    P1000702.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
   / KK Tiller - Added row markers and other mods
Here's a couple pictures showing how far the point extends below the gate bottom, and how the point can be stored out of the way.

Attachments

• P1000701.jpg
    P1000701.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 305
  • P1000703.jpg
    P1000703.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 229
   / KK Tiller - Added row markers and other mods #3  
Now you just need to work up a seed dropper on the back and you have an all-in-one unit!

Looks good!

/ KK Tiller - Added row markers and other mods #4  
I recently purchased a King Kutter 84" tiller. It's been raining every day for over a week and water is standing everywhere, and another 7 days of rain are in the forecast. It will be some time before my soil dries enough to get into the garden.

Why don't you just KISS MY *****!!:mad:

JUST KIDDIN' Just kiddin' ;)

We're dryr'n a popcorn fart down here and everything is burning up.
Literally! We are just short of being declared a disaster area. Texas that is.
Fires everywhere. I have 300+ acres of grass across the road from me and I worry everyday, it's gonna go up. So far I've been lucky but there a lot of folks around here locally that have not been so lucky. Lots of houses burned.
Pray for rain for us if'n you don't mind.

Oh, 'bout the other stuff in your post...
Cool! :thumbsup:

/ KK Tiller - Added row markers and other mods #5  
where did you get a 84 inch king kutter and how much was it. I don't see them listed on the web page

/ KK Tiller - Added row markers and other mods #6  
Why don't you just KISS MY *****!!:mad:

JUST KIDDIN' Just kiddin' ;)

We're dryr'n a popcorn fart down here and everything is burning up.
Literally! We are just short of being declared a disaster area. Texas that is.
Fires everywhere. I have 300+ acres of grass across the road from me and I worry everyday, it's gonna go up. So far I've been lucky but there a lot of folks around here locally that have not been so lucky. Lots of houses burned.
Pray for rain for us if'n you don't mind.

Oh, 'bout the other stuff in your post...
Cool! :thumbsup:

It's been over 2 hours since it rained here. That qualifies as a dry spell after what we've seen this spring. I've measured over 14" of rain in the past 12 days with my new rain gauge. 4" fell in a one hour period a few days ago. We're still supposed to have 2 MORE days of heavy rain.

/ KK Tiller - Added row markers and other mods #7  
Sorry about your dry spell. We are in for 4 inches of rain here next couple days,this week, just had over 3 inches in days. Trees are pulling up the root systems in the 30-45 mph winds.I am sandbagging the holes in the back yard from washing out. I plan to order dirt as soon as they can haul it again...The Miss river is going to 45 feet here, but it will not get to us..So every one has their own ills?

/ KK Tiller - Added row markers and other mods
where did you get a 84 inch king kutter and how much was it. I don't see them listed on the web page

I'm not sure why they aren't listed on the KK website. They are available through any KK dealer. They are built with a heavier frame and are made for cat1 and cat2 3ph. I've seen them advertised as low as $2000 at Rural King, but most are $2100-$2200.

/ KK Tiller - Added row markers and other mods #9  
Here's a couple pictures showing how far the point extends below the gate bottom, and how the point can be stored out of the way.

Thanks so much for this tip, it solves a problem at my house. I was looking for a way to mark rows....behind the tiller.

/ KK Tiller - Added row markers and other mods #10  
Nice work Ford850. I know what you mean about the rain here in OH. :mad: I got my 5' KK tiller at Rural King in Wooster for $1349. They beat everybody by a bunch.