Kohler Engine Oil

/ Kohler Engine Oil #41  
"We worry about oil less and less as it goes on." With exception of internet oil threads! :laughing:

/ Kohler Engine Oil #42  
I have a 2011 Cub Cadet GT2000 (purchased new) with a 20HP Kohler Command engine. Has roughly 400 hours of use after 10 seasons with an oil change each season (averaging 40 hrs use). I have used the Kohler brand 10W30 oil (conventional) as recommended by Kohler for the Command Engine without any problems at all. It does not use any oil. Spring is coming up and I will change the oil soon.

1. I have been seeing some blurps on the internet regarding the Kohler brand 10W30 conventional oil as "NO LONGER AVAILABLE" with the exception on current stock on hand at suppliers. The bottles now state Kohler engine oil (Semi-Synthetic 10W30).
2. Have seen a statement by someone that says they contacted Kohler about this and were advised that the old Kohler 10W30 was Semi-Synthetic but was not listed on the label.
3. Some have said just to use the new Semi-Synthetic and don't worry about engines with a lot of hours on them as they would be fine.

I really liked the Kohler engine oil. It had a high ZDDP content, I used it in very hot weather, 95 degree without any burnoff.

I WOULD SINCERELY ANY THOUGHTS TO MY QUESTIONS LISTED BELOW.
THANK YOU

Questions for those that may know or have experience on this matter to reply.
1. Was the old Kohler 10W30 oil (Semi-Synthetic)?
2. If it was not, would the Kohler semi synthetic 10W30 have any negative consequences on that 20 HP Command after 400 hours of conventional oil use?
3. If yes to question 2 (negative consequences) I plan to switch to Shell Rotella 15W40. It does not get that cold where I am and I don't get on the mower for anything if the outside temp is under 50 degrees. Just fall leaf cleanup. What are your thoughts on Shell Rotella 15W40?

Amsoil has several small engine oils, all with high levels of ZDDP. 4 Stroke Power Equipment: Shop Oil for 4 Stroke Equipment - AMSOIL
The new 15W50 Kohler oil, made by Amsoil, will come out in early Summer I believe.
Dutchy

/ Kohler Engine Oil #43  
What a coincidence . When we were paying the dealer to change oil it was every 3000 miles. Then the dealers starting including the oil changes etc in the purchase price, it WAS NOT free!

Now that they are paying its every 6-7-10K miles? Funny how that worked out.

/ Kohler Engine Oil #44  
If I read it right the other day I see one on a common Ford said 40K

/ Kohler Engine Oil #45  
Seems like most companies had an engine or 2 fussy about oil. One in some Jeep as I recall, the 2.4 GM thingy I saw recently, 5.4 Triton maybe. Had and have some others dont seem to matter. Got one in an old van could see thru it at 15K. When it was newer and we taking better care and following the schedule it looked new with 6Kon it and the older it went the more we stretch it. I put 20 or better on one change and was running so good felt sorry for it and had a filter,,, got 10or 15K maybe on it now and engine will well outlast the truck with no further maintenance.
I am gonna do on of my Kohlers this year. mower hoist.JPG I put 5-40 T6 in it and was shooting for 250 hrs. The meter got fuggrf up so its a guess now at 50 per year, maybe 60 on way too ruff service but it still works. Some of the set ups in welders and other equipment may be in a cleaner world which does really help. Some were swearing about 20/50 for summers I cant imagine anyone really makes a better oil than that Shell Synthetic.
I gotta think the old engines love it. The modern oil is now several generations better than when some of them were made,,, even Dino oil and synthetics are a step above that. Mid 60's relatively modern wass CC or CD and new oil is maybe CH now? 7 steps better. Maybe 8. They used to call for 100/150 service and now test at 50% with 500 and 750 hrs on old stuff. Not sure where we might actually see the end of it as these tractors do use some oiland got to wonder how long the filter paper might be good for?

Last edited:
   / Kohler Engine Oil #46  
I just swapped my Lincoln Ranger 305G w/ Kohler 23HP to Mobil 1 at 400 hours. It probably has significantly less hours than that. An annoying thing with both the Lincoln Ranger and Miller equivalent is they have an issue with the fuel filler tube that can cause you to over fill it and cause issues with cylinder over wash. So you have to leave the ignition on so you can see the fuel gauge level to prevent getting fuel in the fill tube. Guess what happens if you do that and then forget to turn the switch back off?

/ Kohler Engine Oil #47  
Thanks to all for taking the time to respond to my questions. Good information. I just did not want to press my luck to far as I hope my Kohler will live a few more years.
Mobile 1 full synthetic 10w-30w Walmart good price what goes in my Koehler EFI 27 hp.

/ Kohler Engine Oil #48  
Thanks to all for taking the time to respond to my questions. Good information. I just did not want to press my luck to far as I hope my Kohler will live a few more years.
If its changed before it clogs up all this is rather moot. Its not all that complicated and specific,,, one oil vs another, there is no pixie dust in one of them. Air cooled engines can run hot, the synthetics are a pinch better, they a little better cold, they a bit better with extended change but,,,, this is a pinch and not earth shattering.
I use common dino in most stuff. On the plus side with air coolers means no coolant contamination. Lots of new are "no change". Not everyone thinks this is a great idea, some fresh oil couldnt hurt if they have the snot ran out of them. Something to consider,,,, 50 hrs a year isnt a LOT despite what the hobby crowd thinks,,, 500 is getting there.
Change when its convenient, change if use is hi, 250-300 hrs if its used every day.

Last edited:
   / Kohler Engine Oil #49  

You’ll be fine! My old cub cadet has the command engine and is 15 years old they can last with proper matinenece for about 30-35 years or about 2500-3000 hours.

/ Kohler Engine Oil #50  
Kohler now has a new 300 hour oil change kit. It's 10w50 that kohler worked on with Amsoil. The kit includes oil and a filter, both need to be used together to reach the 300 hour rating.