[KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #1  

Forest_Man

Bronze Member
Tractor
B3200 HST
New to TBN as well as to Tractor life. Happy to be here. I'm shopping/researching a grader blade or box blade - are these the same? - for maintaining and repairing a muddy driveway with a Kubota 3200. plus lots of loads of gravel.

The market seems to be filled with different brands. Just trying to learn a bit more and get recommendations to help me funnel my shopping:

- Good brands that will work well with a 32HP Kubota? Maybe brands to avoid?
- Used x New?
- Good prices?

Thanks in advance!

20240505_165128.jpg

20240505_165133.jpg

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #2  
Welcome to TBN - Forest Man. Wow!! That driveway is a real challenge in its current condition. Honestly - I would not recommend that you work on the driveway in this condition with any type of ground contact implement. It must dry out before you will be able to do any meaningful improvements.

Here is how I see the basic driveway maintenance implements.

Box blade - good for moving loads of dirt from here to there. Does require practice, experience and patience.

Rear blade - good for building and maintaining driveway ditches. OK for rough grading and snow removal. Requires a whole lot of practice, experience and worlds of patience. A rear blade is a wanna-be road grader. The tractor/rear blade combo just isn't physically long enough to make the road grader status.

Land plane grading scraper ( LPGS ) - good for putting the final finishing touches on the driveway surface. Easy to use, requires little experience and delivers good results.

If you are looking for an all weather driveway - you need to build up the road with gravel. Large gravel - well compacted at first. Then smaller gravel ( pit run ) on the surface that can be smoothed and compacted.

Road side ditches are needed to control runoff and keep the water off the road surface.

Once that road dries - you might need a larger piece of equipment to construct the driveway ditches. Depends upon soil type and how much rock is in the soil.

Implement brands - Land Pride, Bush Hog, Rhino, Pittsburg...... there will be many added brands as members log on.

You have the beginning of a fairly large project there. Keep us posted and be safe.

Last edited:
   / [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #3  
New to TBN as well as to Tractor life. Happy to be here. I'm shopping/researching a grader blade or box blade - are these the same? - for maintaining and repairing a muddy driveway with a Kubota 3200. plus lots of loads of gravel.

The market seems to be filled with different brands. Just trying to learn a bit more and get recommendations to help me funnel my shopping:

- Good brands that will work well with a 32HP Kubota? Maybe brands to avoid?
- Used x New?
- Good prices?

Thanks in advance!
depending on where you live; woods, land pride and Gannon are about the top 3. Lots of other manufacturers Homestead, Ironcraft, Catawba, etc…. Weight is your friend with this kind of stuff

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #4  
D&D indicates another important point. Weight is your friend with land engagement implements.

I had a Land Pride rear blade with my first tractor. It was great for clearing snow on my mile long gravel driveway. It weighed around 300 pounds. It was totally useless in the summer when my driveway dries out and becomes hard as concrete.

I got a Rhino 950 to match with my new Kubota M6040. It weighs a tad over 1000 pounds. It's seven feet wide. What a difference. I can easily offset - angle and depress this blade to clear my driveway ditches.

It will cut into the surface crust that forms on my driveway. Unfortunately - the rear blade is not a big 'ol road grader. It takes a whole lot of patience and practice to make a smooth finish when going over swalles, lumps and bumps. I use my LPGS for finishing the driveway surface.

It depends a whole lot on the finish surface of the driveway. My surface is a combination of gravel, sand, silt and volcanic ash. In the summer it becomes just like concrete.

Many have a surface that is almost 100% screened gravel or pit run gravel. This type surface responds much better to the use of a rear blade.

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #5  
you need a uphill ditch on that driveway first and foremost. A box blade isnt going to do that.

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #6  
I would remove a couple more trees and straighten it out. Looks tough to get a large truck in there (when dry). 2% slope to the downhill side might do wonders also.

Last edited:
   / [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #7  
Holy crap, thats your driveway? No offense intended, its just so, so far away from being ready for daily automobile/truck traffic. Is this your future homestead? Beautiful forest!

You need an excavator first, not a box blade for your tractor. (ok you need that also, but not as tool #1). You could rent a mini-ex for a weekend and get things shaped up.

You need a 12' wide, crowned or sloped road bed, with drainage/ditches on each side.

Then you need 6+" of 2-3" sized rock. Then whatever final gravel type you want atop that.

This is just my opinion, but if you don't start with a proper base, you'll be fighting this driveway for the rest of your life.

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance #8  
Forrest Man - how long is your driveway.

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance
Welcome to TBN - Forest Man. Wow!! That driveway is a real challenge in its current condition. Honestly - I would not recommend that you work on the driveway in this condition with any type of ground contact implement. It must dry out before you will be able to do any meaningful improvements.
Thank you very much! And yes, it's been raining and I understand I need to let it dry before trying anything on it.

Here is how I see the basic driveway maintenance implements.

Box blade - good for moving loads of dirt from here to there. Does require practice, experience and patience.

Rear blade - good for building and maintaining driveway ditches. OK for rough grading and snow removal. Requires a whole lot of practice, experience and worlds of patience. A rear blade is a wanna-be road grader. The tractor/rear blade combo just isn't physically long enough to make the road grader status.

Land plane grading scraper ( LPGS ) - good for putting the final finishing touches on the driveway surface. Easy to use, requires little experience and delivers good results.
Thank you for the summary. Maybe I won't be able to fix my driveway but I will try to maintain it. The Box Blade seems more adequate for my conditions and limitations.

If you are looking for an all weather driveway - you need to build up the road with gravel. Large gravel - well compacted at first. Then smaller gravel ( pit run ) on the surface that can be smoothed and compacted.
Where does the "crusher run" fits in this advice? If at all?

Road side ditches are needed to control runoff and keep the water off the road surface.

Once that road dries - you might need a larger piece of equipment to construct the driveway ditches. Depends upon soil type and how much rock is in the soil.
What type of equipment would be adequate to construct driveway ditches? Yes, we have fairly rocky soil. Most of them fist size but some larger.

Implement brands - Land Pride, Bush Hog, Rhino, Pittsburg...... there will be many added brands as members log on.
Thank you! I came across a used Land Pride 5 footer. Already shopping but not yet comfortable pulling the trigger before I understand what I actually need and will be able to use.

For instance, my B3200 has a quick hitch on the back. So I suspect any box blade I choose to buy must be compatible with my quick hitch. Or is this already standard?

You have the beginning of a fairly large project there. Keep us posted and be safe.
I am excited and a bit anxious too. Believe me, many more questions to come.

Thank you!

/ [KUBOTA B3200] Grader Blade / Box Blade Recommendation for Driveway Maintenance
depending on where you live; woods, land pride and Gannon are about the top 3. Lots of other manufacturers Homestead, Ironcraft, Catawba, etc…. Weight is your friend with this kind of stuff

Awesome video! Really informative, thank you! We do have Woods and Land Pride nearby. Good to see Land Pride in the top list. Came across a used on for $800 with 5 feet.

Regarding weight, I understand the importance of weight but I suspect it must be a balance with my B3200 limitations: 32HP + R4 tires (did I get this right?) + loaded tires + 8" spacers + quick hitch.

Kubota lists box blade weight at 500 Lbs maximum. Is this a good number already to maintain a driveway? I suspect lack of weight would mean more passes? Or what would you recommend for a box blade length and weight for my package and total inexperience?

Here is the rear end of my tractor:
Rear.jpg