/ Kubota B8200D -- am I giving it away? #1  

SuperAwesomeDOOD

Tractor
Kioti CK3510
Hello,

I recently found a note on my front gate asking about one of my tractors. I had no intent to sell, but I don't use it much. I talked to the young man over the phone that night and explained the tractor to him. I said I haven't started it for a year. Before that, I hadn't used it for around a year. This means two starts in the past two years. When I'd started it last year, the hydraulics were unresponsive. After talking to a few folks a year ago, many suggested swapping the hydraulic mesh filter and putting in new hydraulic fluid. I told the young man this. He threw out an offer of $3500 to which I responded, "Why don't you just come and take a look at it before offering me something blindly."

He came and looked at it. I checked the fluids with him to make sure it was good to fire off. It started right up, he was interested. He'd said he would like to attempt the fluid and filter change if I'd allow him to next week. I was fine with that. He came over last week with some fluid and I helped him drain the trans, clean the mesh filter (which had coagulated, white hydraulic fluid likely caused by condensation in the trans). After refilling the trans, we started it up and everything functioned normally: PTO, 3-point, Front end loader, etc. it's a good little 4x4 FEL tractor. We drove it around a bit before him saying he'd like to buy it, but wouldn't have a trailer for a couple weeks. Me, being super busy and thinking about the chores I was already behind on that day and from working out of town for 7 months, didn't even think to talk price before saying good-bye.

Fast forward to yesterday, he said he'd like to bring me a deposit of $1000 and the other $2500 next week. I never agreed to $3500 and I paid $7500 for it 5 years ago. Am I giving this tractor away at $3500? I don't need the money and my wife thinks it's worth more. She'd rather keep it unless we get fair market value. You don't see many of these available with factory Kubota front end loaders, so finding comparable units is difficult.

What is it worth? For perspective, this is a Northern CA tractor. Surface rust is minimal to non-existent. I'd rate the tractor a conservative 7/10 for a tractor it's age. I like the young man, but I want my wife to be happy.

Last edited:
   / Kubota B8200D -- am I giving it away? #2  
From my perspective, allowing him to do the transmission service complicates matters in a "fair guy" world. He probably should have stated outright that if the hydraulics work after the service he would buy the machine at the agreed price. Obviously you would have had to agree (or not) in advance. There's nothing wrong with the potential buyer wanting to limit his exposure while at the same time providing value to the owner.

What's really fair? Who knows. I suspect that machine is worth 4-5k in poor condition, as is where is. Good condition with a loader.... It should be worth about what you paid for it (7k +).
If it was someone I know (and liked) I would probably take the $3500 and be happy to see a great machine get a new lease on life! A stranger off Craigslist.... No way.

/ Kubota B8200D -- am I giving it away? #3  
Decide on how much you need to get for your tractor to keep your wife happy, and call the guy as soon as you can, and explain to him that there was a mis-understanding on the pricing. Who paid for the parts required for the fluid changes ? There is a reason I buy stuff, as is, where is, and complete the deal right away, and haul it home with me. I try and buy stuff at a fair price, and take my chances.

/ Kubota B8200D -- am I giving it away? #4  
It probably was worth $3500 until he got it working. You should have got it working if you wanted more. Might have painted yourself in a corner.
However, you never stated you would sell for $3500. He might say otherwise. If you don’t sell, pay him for his fluid and time to get it going.

/ Kubota B8200D -- am I giving it away? #5  
Im thinking 3500.00 is cheap.. 4x4 with a loader..running and driving tractor up here is 6-7K all day.

/ Kubota B8200D -- am I giving it away? #6  
I said I haven't started it for a year. Before that, I hadn't used it for around a year. This means two starts in the past two years. When I started it last year the hydraulics were unresponsive.

It probably was only worth $3500 until he got it working. You should have got it working if you wanted more money.

If it was someone I know (and liked) I would take the $3500 and be happy to see an inactive machine get a new lease on life.

/ Kubota B8200D -- am I giving it away?
to be honest, he came by with a jug of tractor supply fluid and used all my tools and my help to drain and fill the trans. its a 20 minute job. he's out the cost of the fluid, which I'd happily reimburse him for if he feels shafted.

I never agreed to the price, nor was I soliciting a sale. I agreed to let him look at it after he left a note on my gate, that's about it. I figured $3500 was really cheap. I'm still on the fence because I'm a sucker, but I think I'll pass. As I said, I wasn't really trying to sell it anyhow.

/ Kubota B8200D -- am I giving it away?
He is a complete stranger, but WTH...my conscience won't let me be unless I figure something out now. I feel slimy calling him back to haggle when he thinks the price is settled. Damnit I wish I didn't care.

I did just buy a bunch of Carli suspension stuff for my dodge. This will help pay for part of it I guess.

/ Kubota B8200D -- am I giving it away? #9  
He is a complete stranger, but WTH...my conscience won't let me be unless I figure something out now. I feel slimy calling him back to haggle when he thinks the price is settled. Damnit I wish I didn't care.

I did just buy a bunch of Carli suspension stuff for my dodge. This will help pay for part of it I guess.
Hate to say it but that's probably the right call.

/ Kubota B8200D -- am I giving it away? #10  
Since you both know it is definitely worth more than 3500, especially now that you both know everything is working, see if he would consider coming up to 5K. That way you are only losing roughly 2K on it for all the time you have owned it. The buyer would still be getting a very good deal at that price, and he knows it. If he won,t come up to that figure., I would give him a hundred bucks for his help, and wish him all the best in his search for another one.