Kubota Dust Cover Replacement Advice

/ Kubota Dust Cover Replacement Advice #11  
Hi ETF,

Just after I got my tractor, I ordered the workshop manual for it. I get the service manuals for everything I buy...from my boat motors, ATV, to my cars and truck. They soon pay for themselves.

About grease. I used the grease which I use on my tractor, trailers and truck. Use what you are using on your tractor, already. Any good lithium complex should be good. I use Chevron Ultra Duty EP NLGI 2 grease. Also, Diesel Power, (one of the TBN members), is a good source of lubrication information. You can do a search in the lubrication section and read his posts on greases. Very enlightning. When assembling, I just slathered the grease on and into the joint. Messy but effective.

About torques...
The tie rod lock nut is torqued to 123-145 Ft-Lbs.

The tie rod end slotted nut is tightened to 115-130 Ft-Lbs for L4330 to L5030 tractors. I would assume the newer L5240 is the same torque. I noticed the smaller tractors are torqued lower...L3130 to L3830...to 29-33 Ft-Lbs.

/ Kubota Dust Cover Replacement Advice
milkman said:
Should be easy to do without any expensive tools, just remove the cotter key and nut, place a pry bar at orange arrow and apply pressure while you hit the area at the yellow arrow with a hammer and the joint will pop out, have used this method for 40 years. Then you can loosen the locknut and remove the tie rod end and replace the boot. I don't like the pickle forks as they tear the rubber boots then you got another one to fix.

Thanks to all who gave advice. I tackled this project this afternoon. The above method was very effective, and all I had in it was the cost of the dust cover. The most difficult part of the job was getting the larger of the two metal circle clips back over the largest end of the dust cover. The small one was easy because all you had to do was squeeze it with your pliers. The larger one was a pain because there was no apparent way to easily work it on and off. I am sure there is a method of which I am unaware. At any rate, patience and a small screwdriver got the job done.

Then I put the grapple on, went to the log pile, carried 8 or 10 logs up near the house and went to work cutting up firewood--about 2 rank or so. That's enough for one day. Time to watch a football game.

Thanks again to all.

/ Kubota Dust Cover Replacement Advice #13  
ALSO, make sure you don't hit the actually threads with a hammer when trying to get the tie-rod end off. The picture is great advice BUT MAKE SURE you use a 2x4 or similar or else you will ruin the threads and not be able to get your nut back on.

I know from experience. The whole in bolt for the cotter key weakens the bolts integrity. You will mess it up!

/ Kubota Dust Cover Replacement Advice #15  
Hello All

I know that this is an old thread but I was wonder if we could revisit this issue. Any advice on changing the dust cover. If I need a jack, tools, etc. Also, approximation on how long it would take?

Since I am new to this, any advice on keeping my kubota BX 25 (purchased in 2011) in prime shape. I store it outside but will eventually get it inside once I have the money to build it something. I do the 10 working hour grease up and changed the oil once since I had it. My wife would say that the house is the best thing we have and I would say the tractor. :)

Dust Cover pic 2 (1).jpgDust Cover pic 2 (2).jpg

Thanks in advance for any help on this
Roberto

/ Kubota Dust Cover Replacement Advice #16  
Your tractor is practically new so the tie rod should come out fairly easy. Just back the nut off and hit upward with a hammer using a block of wood on the nut. If that doesn't work, see post #4. Good luck.

/ Kubota Dust Cover Replacement Advice #17  
Hello All

I know that this is an old thread but I was wonder if we could revisit this issue. Any advice on changing the dust cover. If I need a jack, tools, etc. Also, approximation on how long it would take?

Since I am new to this, any advice on keeping my kubota BX 25 (purchased in 2011) in prime shape. I store it outside but will eventually get it inside once I have the money to build it something. I do the 10 working hour grease up and changed the oil once since I had it. My wife would say that the house is the best thing we have and I would say the tractor. :)

View attachment 408677View attachment 408678

Thanks in advance for any help on this
Roberto

If your dealer is like most, you will be told it can't be done with just new boots, replaced the set on mine because of this, here is a good thread that should help: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/310869-replacing-bx24-tie-rod-boot.html#post3757492

/ Kubota Dust Cover Replacement Advice #18  
Thanks for the info in the link, when I replaced mine, I had to replace the joint as well. Price is ridiculous for such a little hunk of metal and not much tougher rubber than a condom.:eek: