Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch

/ Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch #1  

tsrohrb

Tractor
Kubota L3400 HST
I have a kubota L3400 HST. When I get up off the seat the tractor shuts off. I know this will happen if the PTO is on or if the forward/reverse pedal is pushed, but my tractor is doing it with the tractor in neutral, PTO is off, and I have wiggled the forward/reverse pedal to make sure it is in the correct position. It acts like the PTO switch is stuck on, but I did check the spring like switch and it looks ok. How do I actually check the switch on the PTO lever and the forward/reverse pedal? Thanks

/ Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch #2  
I would lean toward the hst pedal is not returning to neutral. Have you looked to see if yours has a grease fitting on the hst pedal shaft? To eliminate the pto try this as soon as you stand up pull the seat up. For stationary use flip the seat on the steering wheel (brakes locked) mash the clutch then egage the pto. This for generators or grain bin augers.
(not recomended) When I am mowing and need to jump off and move something I will pull the seat up as soon as I get up and the tractor will not shut off.

/ Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch #3  
I have a kubota L3400 HST. When I get up off the seat the tractor shuts off. I know this will happen if the PTO is on or if the forward/reverse pedal is pushed, but my tractor is doing it with the tractor in neutral, PTO is off, and I have wiggled the forward/reverse pedal to make sure it is in the correct position.

Yes, your treadle pedal switch needs adjustment. If you do not have it adjusted soon, you will not be able to start your tractor at all. Mine strayed out of adjustment when service was due so I let Kubota Service deal with the adjustment.

You should check to see if you have debris lodged in the mech. I also blow out the switch area with compressed air before greasing the pedal shaft zerk. I do both every ten hours when it is time to grease the FEL.

I have not had any difficulty since Kubota made the switch adjustment.

/ Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch #4  
You can tell which switch is the problem by flipping the seat up as soon as you're out of the seat. If it's the PTO switch it'll stay running until you drop the seat again. If it still stops, it's the pedal switch. That's assuming there's no problem with the seat switch itself. I'm surprised you can get it to start like this.

This logic works for me, but maybe I'm missing something .. it's happened before! :laughing:

If you need more info on checking the switches I can dig into the service manual and see what it says. If I can lay hands on it, that is.

Sean

/ Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch #5  
My 2011 L4400 does this also. It is easier to put a weight in the seat than to seek out which safety feature is causing you a problem. When you have more time you can run done what is causing the tractor to cut off.

/ Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch
Thanks for the responses. I did crawl under the tractor to see if anything was lodged around the treadle pedal. Nothing was obvious. I will try flipping the seat up as soon as I get off the tractor when the weather warms up a little (it is not supposed to get out of the teens here today). I did not see how to adjust the treadle pedal the last time I looked, but I'm sure it can't be that hard.

/ Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch #7  
The treadle switch is under the ignition switch in the dash and is lever operated. You can see it if you stand on the ground and look up under the dash toward the right side. It is a push type switch and you can see how it operates by moving the treadle while observing it. If checking the PTO with the lift seat method doesn't work then check the treadle switch. It may be out of adjustment or the push button may actually be stuck up inside the switch. On Edit; if the PTO switch itself is bad the tractor will not even start.

Last edited:
   / Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch #8  
My 2011 L4400 does this also. It is easier to put a weight in the seat.

To hold down the seat switch temporarily, I use one medium bungee cord around the seat as a belt, then two short bungee cords, under tension, from the belt down to convenient non-moving points on the three point hitch.

Last edited:
   / Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch #9  
I may get flack for this but I just disconnect the seat switch and put in a jumper. I grew up on tractors where you could stand up to get better visibility w/o the tractor shutting off. I see no reason to change but do accept full responsibility for all alterations.

/ Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch
Thanks again for the responses. I finally got some nice weather and time to work on the tractor and it only took about 10 minutes to fix. I looked under the dash and found the treadle switch. I could tell immediately that while in the centered position it was not pushing in on the switch far enough. I just took the bolt holding the switch bracket out and made the adjustment to the switch on my work bench. It works fine now. Awesome!