Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch

/ Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch #11  
So you had no issues with starting before you fixed it? I would have thought it wouldn't allow you to start the engine unless it was in the centered position.. mine is a DT model, I'm just curious so I know for sure the next time someone has this problem.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Sean

/ Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch
No I did not have any issuses with starting. The only time I had a problem was when I got off the seat. The motor would shut off almost every time, even in neutral, break set, and with the PTO off. I called my local Kubota dealer and they said it was supposed to cut off unless the transmission was shifted into neutral and the break was set, but I know that was not how it worked previously. I could have the tractor in high, med, or low and not set the break and it would still run unless I had the PTO on or pushed on the treadle pedal. Now that I adjusted the switch, that is how it is working again. Thanks
Todd

/ Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch #13  
Have had the very same problem on my L3800. The first problem was the pedal not returning to center, but not really notice by me. Cured that by greasing it and working back and forth to get the pivot point well coated. Second problem was the tractor shutting off when I stood up and pulled the seat up. Found out that by flicking the seat switch up, the tractor kept running as well as the snowblower. My switch likes to stick part way up. Before anybody says this is a bad idea of getting off the tractor and checking out your snowblower. There are times when you just have to make sure the auger, blower and chain drive are turning smoothly. That doesn't mean its time to get close to it or stick your hand, foot or scarf into it, just observe the operation.

/ Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch #14  
To hold down the seat switch temporarily, I use one medium bungee cord around the seat as a belt, then two short bungee cords, under tension, from the belt down to convenient non-moving points on the three point hitch.

Got tired of the Bungee cords. Now have the seat switched held down with some Velcro tape. A better temporary fix.

/ Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch #15  
After getting in the ditch and not getting the L4400 with 125 hours to crank I was determined to solve this intermittent starting problem. I have always after fooling with the HST pedal eventually gotten it to crank. Took the switch apart and adjusted the threaded contact point to take out any slack. This solved the HST switch and also fixed the issue with the seat switch allowing it to run by lifting the seat when not occupied as it should.

/ Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch #16  
You can tell which switch is the problem by flipping the seat up as soon as you're out of the seat. If it's the PTO switch it'll stay running until you drop the seat again. If it still stops, it's the pedal switch. That's assuming there's no problem with the seat switch itself. I'm surprised you can get it to start like this.

This logic works for me, but maybe I'm missing something .. it's happened before! :laughing:

If you need more info on checking the switches I can dig into the service manual and see what it says. If I can lay hands on it, that is.

Sean

How do you know if the switch under the seat is defective?

Ralph

/ Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch #17  
The switch is defective if the tractor shuts off when you try and move it.

/ Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch #18  
There are several tests in the shop manual for the seat switch. It has three different positions, each has different continuity tests for the harness pins.

/ Kubota L3400 seat cutoff switch #20  
I used a couple spade terminals, a short piece of wire, and some shrink tubing to make a jumper for mine, can't even tell unless you really look and it can be restored easily if needed.