Kubota M5-111 Engine lock up

/ Kubota M5-111 Engine lock up #1  

landruma

Tractor
Case 930 Comfort King
My 1,200 hour Kubota M5-111 engine locked-up while raking hay. Has anyone else had any engine issues with a new (3 year old) Kubota? Of course the warranty expired about 4 months back!

Thanks in advance for your input. / Tony, Texas

/ Kubota M5-111 Engine lock up #2  
What happened to lock it up? My MX let go of all it’s oil due to a drain plug that loosened itself up at about four years old.

/ Kubota M5-111 Engine lock up #3  
any details leading up to the seize? were coolant & engine oil levels good upon failure? any over heating leading to the failure such as restricted radiator air flow while in the hay field?
thought about saying welcome, but see you've been a member since '10 w/3 posts? welcome regardless

/ Kubota M5-111 Engine lock up #4  
That is unfortunate and I would think really rare. I would suggest you reach out to Kubota and just see what they say. Details about what happened and the condition of the fluids before and afterwards may tell us something.

Did a rod go through the block or did it just shut down slowly and then it was locked? I probably would pull the oil pan and look at the bottom end.

/ Kubota M5-111 Engine lock up #5  
Don't they have extended power train warranty? Contact your dealer before you touch anything.

/ Kubota M5-111 Engine lock up #6  
Seems like there was one for sale by me last year that had a new engine at 400 hours.

/ Kubota M5-111 Engine lock up #7  
Don't they have extended power train warranty? Contact your dealer before you touch anything.
Yes, it seems like drive train component warranty is longer than the rest of the tractor for most brands. You said yours is only three years old?

My Kioti DK4510 Warranty:
"Eligible units purchased during the program period will receive a total of 6 years (72 months) extended powertrain warranty coverage. This extends KIOTI’s already industry leading 4 year warranty for an additional 2 years"

Edit: Looked up Kubota for 2019 purchase year and saw this:
1655902083157.png

You said it is three years old, are you under or over the three year mark from date of purchase?
Still worth a call to see if they will consider it under "good will" warranty since it is so close and hours are only 35% of limit.

Last edited:
   / Kubota M5-111 Engine lock up #8  
As others said....more detail.

What led up to seizure?

When is the last time you changed the oil and filter? Or even checked the oil?

IF the thing was out of oil....or neglected....even 4-months ago and under warranty they wont cover you