Kubota M62 TLB Pin Retaining Bolt Snapping / Loose Nylon Lock Nuts

/ Kubota M62 TLB Pin Retaining Bolt Snapping / Loose Nylon Lock Nuts #21  
What kind of grease you are using? I’ve been using moly from TSC on loader and backhoe pins. Red grease on bearings and drive lines. The moly seams to be dry. Thinking about changing to one grease, Lucas heavy duty EP grease. It’s treated polyurea suspose to be compatible with lithium base greases. Higher EP specs. That retaining bolt is showing wear from lack of lubrication or wrong lubricant on that pin. You do have a good testing apparatus to evaluate grease performance.

/ Kubota M62 TLB Pin Retaining Bolt Snapping / Loose Nylon Lock Nuts #23  
What kind of grease you are using? ... Thinking about changing to one grease, Lucas heavy duty EP grease.
This stuff? Lots of good reviews on Amazon, FWIW. Here's the spec sheet. Only a dollar or two more per tube than the TSC stuff. I've put a couple tubes of it into the pins on the FEL and backhoe, and it seems to be working fine. That's been enough to push some, but not all, of the moly grease out that was in there. I haven't noticed any run out, but it'll be over 100F tomorrow so I'll keep an eye out. It's supposed to have low viscosity at low temps, so it'll replace the boat trailer grease that's in the steering bearings on my winter motorcycle. Handling gets "interesting" in sub freezing temps as it is now...

/ Kubota M62 TLB Pin Retaining Bolt Snapping / Loose Nylon Lock Nuts #24  
:) I don't use Messicks, love his videos but I'm not about to pay $65.00 shipping for a .50 bolt.
I love my local Kubota dealer, too, but he has to order most Kubota parts I need and charges 8.25% sales tax to boot. Messick's usually ships the next day, I get the parts in a week at about the same price, and don't pay sales tax. I buy a lot of stuff at once, and the tax savings is usually more than the shipping costs, so I end up saving money in the long run. And so far, they've always managed to put the right parts in the box, something that a lot of other mail order outfits seem to have trouble doing.

/ Kubota M62 TLB Pin Retaining Bolt Snapping / Loose Nylon Lock Nuts
What kind of grease you are using? I’ve been using moly from TSC on loader and backhoe pins. Red grease on bearings and drive lines. The moly seams to be dry. Thinking about changing to one grease, Lucas heavy duty EP grease. It’s treated polyurea suspose to be compatible with lithium base greases. Higher EP specs. That retaining bolt is showing wear from lack of lubrication or wrong lubricant on that pin. You do have a good testing apparatus to evaluate grease performance.

I limit my TSC purchases to stuff other than purchases as important as lubricants after some horror stories I read... https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasc...r-supply-smittys-hydraulic-fluid-lawsuit.html

It doesn't matter what kind of grease you use if it doesn't have a path to get into that hole where the bolt is. The cleanliness of those bolts clearly show no grease of any type has gotten there.. but I hear what you're saying and to answer your question :)
1623777481059.png

/ Kubota M62 TLB Pin Retaining Bolt Snapping / Loose Nylon Lock Nuts #26  
Curious about what makes moly grease so special, so I found a Mining and Construction grease by Lucas and looked at the specs. It provides much more protection on some of the tests than either the red or X-TRA Heavy Duty I've been using. And it specifically mentions pins and booms, where we're needing protection the most. NAPA has it for $7.69/tube, and it falls to $7/tube if you buy a case of 30. Even though it's messy moly, I think maybe next time I'll buy it instead of the X-TRA Heavy Duty.

$.02...

/ Kubota M62 TLB Pin Retaining Bolt Snapping / Loose Nylon Lock Nuts #27  
I'm religious about the 10 hours, mainly just because it's so much fun using the Milwaukee cordless grease gun. What blew me away is that for that bolt to clean sheer would have required a lateral rotational force ON the pin of such high amount, it must have been dry and the boom grabbed a dry spot on the pin and grabbed on. I bought it with 50 hours on it, it was a rental from the local dealer but you never know how much they greased it.. just always assumed that pin would be so locked down it wouldn't rotate. I was going to get grade 8's as well but the Homeless Despot (the only hardware store within 100 miles) only had those.. Now that I'm aware, I'll watch them close, they only really do keep the pin from leaving the boom so should be ok as grade 5 (which I assume they are).

The cheap Chinese slave labor nylocks backing off was a surprise as well, normally I hate those things cus they gall and lock up so tight you need to chisel them off, not loosen by themselves... That all being said, it's obviously good practice to check all those post delivery (which I did, they were all snug) and continue to on a regular basis.

Item 40 below is the little snapper....

View attachment 702301

Curious about what makes moly grease so special

This guy does some great testing of various items, the test jigs he builds are way cool...

This video by tractor Mike is pretty good as well.

/ Kubota M62 TLB Pin Retaining Bolt Snapping / Loose Nylon Lock Nuts #29  
I limit my TSC purchases to stuff other than purchases as important as lubricants after some horror stories I read... https://www.bizjournals.com/kansasc...r-supply-smittys-hydraulic-fluid-lawsuit.html

It doesn't matter what kind of grease you use if it doesn't have a path to get into that hole where the bolt is. The cleanliness of those bolts clearly show no grease of any type has gotten there.. but I hear what you're saying and to answer your question :) View attachment 702586
There isn't supposed to be an channels for grease to reach the bolt, any grease that reaches that area is just excess. Are you getting grease out the other end of the pin?

Its not a bad idea to grease the pin with the boom at different positions sometimes, can help with grease distribution on problematic pins.

There isn't supposed to be an channels for grease to reach the bolt, any grease that reaches that area is just excess. Are you getting grease out the other end of the pin?

Its not a bad idea to grease the pin with the boom at different positions sometimes, can help with grease distribution on problematic pins.
Thanks, yea I suspected there was no intentional grease path, no excess... thanks for the input.