Kubota Paint and Primer

/ Kubota Paint and Primer #1  

Atchuuu

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 HSTC
Repainting my bucket with Kubota OEM primer. I am not impressed with the coverage of the primer at all. Can says do not try to cover in one coat. Yeah, would be lucky to cover in 4-5 coats it goes on so thin. Seems like it is more accelerant than paint. The can also does not say when it is okay to apply a top coat.

Anyone use the primer and orange II paint? If so can you tell me if the orange goes on about the same as the primer.

The Rustoleum auto primer I usually use is much better, cheaper and faster. I would prefer to use that but don't know if the paint is compatable.

/ Kubota Paint and Primer #2  
I've used the Rustoleum primer with Kubota paint, all colors, no problem. I have noticed that on a RTV I did that the factory primer was very poor or non existent.

/ Kubota Paint and Primer #3  
I have a quart of OEM Orange 2, I've never used. It's dusty...lol

I use Rustoleum Kubota Orange which is Orange 2 with no primer at all on bare but prepped metal and Magic Kubota Orange which is really Orange 1 with Rustoleum white primer, just a wash coat and no wet sand. Rattle cans only.

Interestingly, our new Kubota Sidekick which is orange 2, has a black frame and underpinnings.

/ Kubota Paint and Primer #4  
Glad you reminded me, I need to repaint all 3 of my buckets. I'll sand blast them first.

/ Kubota Paint and Primer
Don't have a sandblaster so I am using a sander and prepping the metal with a rust converter. Glad I don't have three buckets to paint. If I did I would invest in a sandblasting rig too.

Really disappointed in the Kubota Primer. Will give the Orange II from Kubota a try but if it is as bad as the primer it is all going in the trash. For the price Kubota charges the paint should be excellent.

/ Kubota Paint and Primer #6  
I think (not sure) but Kubota don't use a lot of Titanium Dioxide in their formulation. That is what effects the ability of a coating to 'hide' what is underneath. Not only that but the Kubota OEM paint likes to fade. Had really good luck with the Rustoleum Kubota Orange 2. Seems toi hold up very well with good coverage and high gloss. The Magic Orange (1) isn't bad either but not as good as the Rustoleum. I repainted all the tin on my OS M9 this spring (was a job removing all the tin) and it came put very nice.

The Kubota ROPS grey semi gloss actually covers quite well unlike the OEM orange and the frame blue does as well but both are pretty expensive from the dealer. Like I said, I have a quart of the Orange on the shelf I've never opened. Probably toss it at some point.

/ Kubota Paint and Primer #7  
I think (not sure) but Kubota don't use a lot of Titanium Dioxide in their formulation. That is what effects the ability of a coating to 'hide' what is underneath. Not only that but the Kubota OEM paint likes to fade. Had really good luck with the Rustoleum Kubota Orange 2. Seems toi hold up very well with good coverage and high gloss. The Magic Orange (1) isn't bad either but not as good as the Rustoleum. I repainted all the tin on my OS M9 this spring (was a job removing all the tin) and it came put very nice.

The Kubota ROPS grey semi gloss actually covers quite well unlike the OEM orange and the frame blue does as well but both are pretty expensive from the dealer. Like I said, I have a quart of the Orange on the shelf I've never opened. Probably toss it at some point.

I do not use spray cans of Kubota Orange 2.
I use X-O Rust TTB-27.....a gallon is $44 on Amazon, quarts are about $16.
Add a little thinner, a little hardener, and a perfectly sprayed Kubota 2 match you will get.

/ Kubota Paint and Primer #8  
I do not use spray cans of Kubota Orange 2.
I use X-O Rust TTB-27.....a gallon is $44 on Amazon, quarts are about $16.
Add a little thinner, a little hardener, and a perfectly sprayed Kubota 2 match you will get.

I prefer not to buy anything from Amazon, not because of cost, delivery or anything like that but because of ownership. Besides, Rustoleum and Majic is readily available locally.

I'd rather use rattle cans, cleanup is much simpler and I have one of those spray can trigger things that fit on the can and depress the spray nozzle so the rattle can becomes just like a handheld sprayer and you don't get a painted finger.....:D

/ Kubota Paint and Primer
Thanks 5030 - The Kubota Orange is actually going on pretty well. It lays down flat and the coverage is about what I would expect. It will be a 3-4 coat job with sanding in between. The only issue I have with the OEM orange is the cost. In the future I will use Rustoleum or similar.

The ROPS gray does cover very well and I'm happy to use that even at the higher cost. The primer is junk and I wouldn't use that at $2.00 a can.

Will post photos when job is complete.

/ Kubota Paint and Primer #10  
Thanks 5030 - The Kubota Orange is actually going on pretty well. It lays down flat and the coverage is about what I would expect. It will be a 3-4 coat job with sanding in between. The only issue I have with the OEM orange is the cost. In the future I will use Rustoleum or similar.

The ROPS gray does cover very well and I'm happy to use that even at the higher cost. The primer is junk and I wouldn't use that at $2.00 a can.

Will post photos when job is complete.

Sounds good. I agree 100%, the ROPS grey has excellent coverage. Don't know what you pay but my dealer is at 9 bucks a can.

One thing I learned pretty quick with the Rustoleum Kubbota Orange (in the spray can) is, don't use it in the sun on a hot day. I repainted the wheels on both my M's and it has a tendency to dry too fast and lose it's gloss. Probably won't happen with the quart or gallon can and a slower reducer.