L2501 with HST

/ L2501 with HST #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
How does an L2501 work with brakes on same foot as the HST pedal?

I've been looking a Kubota for my next tractor. Have pretty much set my mind on a B2301 but decided to look at the L2501 since it is so popular.

Real deal breaker seems to be the brake pedals on same side as the HST treddle. No way can you use the steering brakes unless you put the HST on "cruise". Just won't work for snow removal or pushing of big pieces with the FEL when the steering won't work, etc.

/ L2501 with HST #2  
I have the same issue with my B2620. When I do need to use the steering brakes in winter when I am cutting the ice in the driveway I just reach down and use my hand on the brake pedal, LOL

It is not an ideal setup, but my B has a clutch which I like, so no choice.

I see the new L02 series that is coming out has left side brakes but I don't know if the updates will carry over to the L2501? I'm guessing probably not yet.

/ L2501 with HST #3  
I use the cruise control on my 3901 when I need the steering brakes. Tractor brakes were never meant to stop just turning or holding in place

/ L2501 with HST #4  
I use the cruise control on my 3901 when I need the steering brakes. Tractor brakes were never meant to stop just turning or holding in place
I second that. I use cruise control and steer with the brakes for snow removal. Just reduce the speed for better reaction time for directional control.

/ L2501 with HST #5  
The problem is that brake steering with 4x4 engaged doesn't work to well... If you are in snow, you are most likely in 4 wheel drive. Grab a stick, and use your hand to press on the brake with the stick...

With a HST, hitting reverse to back up is SO easy, I never see when I would ever have a need to spin around on a dime.

/ L2501 with HST #6  
Old and Tired....where I find the steering brakes useful is if I am using the loader to cut hard pack snow and ice in the winter. Because you are putting down pressure down with the bucket and can't steer, they do help you maintain direction even in 4WD.

/ L2501 with HST #8  
Not living in snow country had to read to understand the need for the brakes. Makes sense. As tractors were mainly built for farming and row crops you needed the ability to make tight turns and thus the split or individual brakes. When a farmer was use to turning a single horse or mule at the end of a row or a team they needed the same ability with the tractor as you pulled out of one row and make turn back into it for row spacing. Still normally done with single row equipment.
I have a B2710 with brakes on right side but my L6060 last year does have them on the left and yes no clutch. But it is seldom I have needed the brakes to even slow down or stop. Again it makes sense about your need on snow or ice.

/ L2501 with HST #10  
Not living in snow country had to read to understand the need for the brakes. Makes sense. As tractors were mainly built for farming and row crops you needed the ability to make tight turns and thus the split or individual brakes. When a farmer was use to turning a single horse or mule at the end of a row or a team they needed the same ability with the tractor as you pulled out of one row and make turn back into it for row spacing. Still normally done with single row equipment.
I have a B2710 with brakes on right side but my L6060 last year does have them on the left and yes no clutch. But it is seldom I have needed the brakes to even slow down or stop. Again it makes sense about your need on snow or ice.
I've seen big AG tractors use them turning at the end of the rows as you say, but on my little tractor I've never had the need to use them in the summer. Even mowing circles around all my trees. With a hydrostatic transmission it is just so easy to switch from forward to reverse to make tight turns that's all I end up doing.

I used to run full size backhoes lots and I found I used the steering brakes lots in those when using the front bucket.