L3301 vs. L3901

/ L3301 vs. L3901
Thanks for the replies. The 3560 sure tempts me, but I have to think a bit about spending that much money! The difference between the 3901 and the 3560 is about 3k roughly-that was makes so hard !

Will

/ L3301 vs. L3901 #12  
We had a L3800, the predecessor to the L3901. HST transmission, which I would always get. It was a great tractor, although we replaced it with a MX5800, a major factor being our desire for a FEL with more lifting power. With the L3800 we used a 60" rotary mower, a 66" box blade, a 72" pulverizer, and other similarly sized attachments. We did two things with the L3800 that I would highly recommend: We replaced the turnbuckle-style stabilizers with telescoping stabilizers we bought from Mark Hodge. That significantly adds to the convenience of 3PH hook-ups. We added 4" wheel spacers to each rear wheel. That really improved the stability of the L3800. In case you need them, the last contact info I have for these vendors is (a) for Mark, email markhdg@gmail.com and telephones cell (540) 241-1782 and home (540) 942-3210 and (b) as to our spacers, Christian S. Hansen, christianhan@earthlink.net, web site Tractor Wheel Spacers Hub Extensions, Kubota, John Deere, Compact Tractor, Utility Vehicle. Best wishes with your selection and results.

/ L3301 vs. L3901 #13  
We had a L3800, the predecessor to the L3901. HST transmission, which I would always get. It was a great tractor, although we replaced it with a MX5800, a major factor being our desire for a FEL with more lifting power. With the L3800 we used a 60" rotary mower, a 66" box blade, a 72" pulverizer, and other similarly sized attachments. We did two things with the L3800 that I would highly recommend: We replaced the turnbuckle-style stabilizers with telescoping stabilizers we bought from Mark Hodge. That significantly adds to the convenience of 3PH hook-ups. We added 4" wheel spacers to each rear wheel. That really improved the stability of the L3800. In case you need them, the last contact info I have for these vendors is (a) for Mark, email markhdg@gmail.com and telephones cell (540) 241-1782 and home (540) 942-3210 and (b) as to our spacers, Christian S. Hansen, christianhan@earthlink.net, web site Tractor Wheel Spacers Hub Extensions, Kubota, John Deere, Compact Tractor, Utility Vehicle. Best wishes with your selection and results.

I disagree on the stabilizers. But I put TnT on both my machines, which isnt cheap. When combined with the Quick Hitch means I can hitch up without getting off the machine. I've used my easily adjustable stabilizers once, when putting the QH on. TnT, or more precisely they hydraulics to run them are several grand though.

I was happy with the 60" track on my L3200 & never had stability issues. But you can't run tire chains on R4s without them. Definitely consider spacers if you are going for R4s & might need chains. Front chains turned out to be enough for me. Might have been a different story if I hadn't already matched several impliments to my 60" track. Whatever way you go, match the impliments to be equal or a hair bit wider than your track.

Was mucking manure out of a paddock for somebody today... The extra weigh of the L4060 definitely tears up the grass as I maneuvered across the rest of the pasture. Way more than my L3200 ever did. Kicking it out of 4x4 helped, but not as much as I'd have liked. Weight means you can lift & pull more, but it does come at a cost.

As much as I think I'm I nice guy I won't be... Try driving a HST+. A high/low range toggle at the touch of a lever while under power is so nice. No need to mess with crappy shifting HST transmissions (every one from every brand sucks, have to fiddle with them to get into gear had the time). Kubota 3 speeds stuck as well, so not needing to shift gears is beautiful. GST gets you similar shift on the fly action, but not as fast or smooth & you give up the HST precision.

Oh an in reply to the earlier stuff, apparently my speedometer is off a hair. It says 14mph on flat or ever so slight uphill, but my GPS said 16mph. On the 15mph downhill GPS said 17/18. Nice to know. Pretty sure the right size tires were programmed in when I checked on the dash when I first got it. Would take me 5 minutes to figure how to check it again, but it's not worth the effort. 99% of tractor driving is seat of the pants anyway (if your pants aren't in the seat anymore you are way to fast for the terrain). I mostly use the speedo to shift high/low range in high gear on hills while roading (or being slightly wrong on the Internet apparently ;-). Top speed in 3 low is about 8mph, so I downshift to 3 low if my speed drops to about that. Speedo is probably useful for spreading seed or fertilizer, which I dont do.

/ L3301 vs. L3901 #14  
   / L3301 vs. L3901 #15  
If money isn't a factor I wouldn't even think about it -- L3560 all the way. They are nice machines. That said, the basic L models are really good values for what you get.

/ L3301 vs. L3901
Well guys, I have decided to go with the 3560. Nest question-I will be buying a RFM with the tractor. I am building a house next year on a 10 acre field. I have been mowing 5-6 acres there with my ZTR, and the remainder with a 5' RFM behind the B 2620. That tractor (19 PTO hp) did a fine job with that mower, having plenty of power, even when I got behind and the grass was 6-8" high.

The 2560 has 28 PTO hp-would I have enough to run a 84" RFM? I know 5pr per foot is the established rule for rotary cutters, but what about RFMs? I know that the weight of the 3560 would be able to handle the extra 100lbs of the mower. but do you think it has enough power?

Thanks,
Will

/ L3301 vs. L3901 #17  
I know that the weight of the 3560 would be able to handle the extra 100lbs of the mower. but do you think it has enough power?

Thanks,
Will

These "does it have enough power" questions are always tricky to answer. I am sure some people will say yes, some will say no.

But the question of "do I have enough power to run 84" RFM"....quite simply is an incomplete question that CANNOT be answered.

To complete the question you really need to know how fast you want to mow and how high the grass is.

If you want to mow at a reasonable ~5 MPH in grass up to 6" tall.....then yea....you have power for that.
If you want to mow at 10 MPH while shaving thick 12" tall grass back down to 4".....then no, you dont have enough power.

IF you are getting a HST trans.....you can go infinity slow. Treat it just as you treat a ZTR mower.....when you hit some thick and tall stuff and you start bogging down......just slow down a bit.

/ L3301 vs. L3901 #18  
$3,000 over the next 10yrs is on $0.82 a day.
I’ve own a L3540 cab and it was an awesome tractor........ I wouldn’t even consider a standard L series....... to many better options out there.

Thanks for the replies. The 3560 sure tempts me, but I have to think a bit about spending that much money! The difference between the 3901 and the 3560 is about 3k roughly-that was makes so hard !

Will

/ L3301 vs. L3901 #19  
My L3200 ran a 7' flail. I had to go slow, but it ran fine. As others have noted "will it run" can be relative. I'm a fan of going wide & going slow. You cover the same area but bounce yourself & your machine over rough ground a lot less.

The medium loaded in my L4060 could end pick up the 1910lbs pallet my new flail came on. But the 3pt horses it around just fine. The leverage of that long of a rotary cutter may cause you more pain, I dont have a frame of reference.

/ L3301 vs. L3901
I thought I would update this thread. I ended up buying the 84" Land Pride RFM. The 3560 has plenty of power for my usage-as one of your replies said, it handles 6" grass at 5mph just fine. The land I am mowing makes more then 5mph too fast for comfort anyhow-if it was smoother I would mow it with my ZTR.

It amazes me when I look at the Land Pride/Kubota implement chart-it recommends a L4760 for the 84" RFM, but list a 6' rotary cutter for the 3560-I am considering a new bush hog, and I think 5' vs 6' on that is something I more concerned about than the 84" RFM.

Will