L35 vs Grand L Series

/ L35 vs Grand L Series #1  

Jibber

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST 4WD, BX2350
I have a neighbor who has a L35. I have an L3130 with loader and frame mounted backhoe.

I'm in one of those "who has the bigger one" discussions.

My neighbor claims the L35 is a MUCH beefier machine than the Grand L series. But to look at his machine and mine I don't see many differences aside from the cosmetics. When I bought the backhoe the subframe kit included larger and stronger frame side rails and other components which are comparable to what appears to be on the L35. His engine HP is higher, but my loader is rated stronger than his. The machines APPEAR to be very comparable.

He says even if I had the L3830 it wouldn't be as tough as the L35.

Am I missing something? I understand the L35 is built for the rental and light construction market, but is it truly a heavier duty machine?

I wouldn't want to think the Grand L series is getting a bad rap just because it has a cup holder.

/ L35 vs Grand L Series #2  
Jibber

<font color="blue"> I have a neighbor who has a L35. I have an L3130 with loader and frame mounted backhoe. </font>
Your may have looked at all the creature features that your L3130 has. Then went and looked at his industrial grade tractor and wished he had IntelliPanel, Folding ROP’s, Quick detach loader and many other items. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I believe your tractor will last a long as his. The big difference is that his could be left out in the weather and no major damage would occur except faded <font color="orange"> orange </font> .

Yours may start having problems with the IntelliPanel, and plastic items that are not weather tolerant. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ L35 vs Grand L Series #3  
Jim, you can go to kubota.com and compare the specifiications. As for which one is "bigger", I guess I'd probably agree with your neighbor; slightly larger engine displacement, a little more horsepower, and larger hydraulic pump flow for the L35. As for which one's "best"; I'd say it's a matter of what you want to do with it and personal preference; HST vs. GST, quick attach FEL vs. fixed FEL, and a few things like that. As for which one's "tougher", I have no idea. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ L35 vs Grand L Series #4  
Interesting that we compare a tractor that was designed in the late 80's that was well ahead of it's time as far as the competition to a new tractor. The frame work for the loader and backhoe on the L-35 are stronger then the ones you have on a Grand L. I wonder as to the comparison that you use as to the loader lift as well as yours is rated at 1400lbs vs the 1653lbs on the L-35. The hydraulic system on the L-35 is 17.3 gpm vs 13.2 on your tractor. The new BH 90 hoe is a good unit and the first of new designs that give full four point support same as the industrial line of Kubota's which is superior to the underslung frame models. You have a good tractor but at 250lbs I can jump on a L-35 hood, can I do that to yours? There are more differences but it it best to look a little closer just at the frame work to get started. As with most all things beauty is only skin deep!

/ L35 vs Grand L Series #5  
If it's any consolation, I had the L48 and sold it, purchased a L3830 and quite frankly, other the the much larger loader/bucket it had, I much prefer the L3830 for everyday tasks. While the L35 could possibly be a little "beefier" with an integral loader, I much prefer the ability to very quickly remove/replace it. The lift ability on the LA 753 I believe is slightly better the what is on the L35, but quite frankly, it makes little difference in what you can do. If both tractors have a bucket that is the same size and one lifts a little less, all it means to me is you need to work it a little more when loading/lifting into a pile of material. That of course is where the beauty of the HST comes into play. If I had it to do over again, I would still much prefer the L3130 or L3830 over the L35. All are great machines. Heavy duty is a relative term. None of them are heavy duty when compared to an industrial. Rat...

/ L35 vs Grand L Series
Agreed.

I guess what started all this is a current listing on ebay from a guy in eastlake, ohio which is a virtually new L35 with a "buy it now" price of 30 grand, right around what I have invested in the L3130 with the FEL and BH90. He says that would have been the better tractor for me. But, as pointed out in this thread.. I do like that folding ROPS and the fact that I can take off the loader or backhoe with ease.

And, no, I wouldn't jump on the hood of the 3130. I do like the idea of that kind of toughness that the L35 has. I guess there's give and take in every decision of this sort. I don't regret going with the Grand L. I had looked at the L35s. The 3130 was definately the better looking tractor and could do all I asked of a tractor.

I still don't think it was the cosmetics that attracted me.

Still haven't used that cup holder.

/ L35 vs Grand L Series
Art, they list the specs differently on the Kubota website for the Grand L's and the L35. But, the loader I have is the LA723, which is rated at 723kg or 1593 lbs lift capacity at bucket center. I think the 1400 number is 500mm forward. Not sure what that means in the real scheme of things. The L35s TL720 is basically the same loader. I think the power difference is probably due to the increased pump flow as you have pointed out. And therefore, you are correct.. the L35 has more lift capacity than the L3130. I know it's more than I've needed. Statistically, the two loaders are rated about the same, so you would think they are constructed similarly to deal with these sorts of forces. That's the point I was trying to make.

/ L35 vs Grand L Series #8  
I've always thought the L35 was introduced as a "fortified" small TLB. Not that it was especially powerful - but that it was just more resistant to damage in the heat of commercial battle. Little things like perforated plate grille, steel rings on the wheels to protect the valve stems, lights up high, a hood you could step on (and canopy), more protected routing of hydraulics and wiring. Often the operators of commercial machines are not their owners - so the backhoe may be used as a hammer, the FEL as prybar, the whole machine as a battering ram, etc. The Grand L is designed with an operator in mind who may treat the machine a little more carefully. All tractors are similar in concept - just different in design emphasis. In the right hands, an L3130 could easily out-perform an L35 in the wrong ones. In the hands of two experienced skilled operators, the L35 might have the edge but there wouldn't be much difference. As usual, cheerful refund if bogus. Take care, Dick B

/ L35 vs Grand L Series #9  
Jibber:

I was going to say that my 5030 has no cup holder but then I remembered that it's behind the seat. Actually, I don't use it. I keep my gloves wadded up in the holder. I usually carry a little cooler on the floor with some pop in it.

As far as the "intellepanel" goes, you could leave the tractor outside in the rain and it won't get wet. I just happened to take my dash apart because one of my implements had a short in the running lights and fried the 4 way flasher unit. The flasher unit is behind the dash on the cab model and is only accessible by removing the inner cowl, the "intellepanel" and some other hardware. The "intellepanel" is a sealed unit. The leads are through a plug with an "O" ring seal. I suspect that there is some sort of desiccant inside to keep it from fogging up. I wonder if your flasher unit is behind the panel like mine.....or should I say, I hope you don't have to find out. By the way, my dealer replaced it "no charge".

/ L35 vs Grand L Series #10  
i think the L35 was designed more as a small TLB. the guy that dug my water line had one and that thing was awsome.