L3800 Start Issue

/ L3800 Start Issue #1  

bdeboer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2402D
2014 L3800 HST about 500 hours.

Starter won't always engage like there is an issue with an interlock. I would tap the forward/reverse pedal a couple times and it would start. Assumed it was switch related or a loose wire or connection.

Now it sounds like it isn't fully engaging the flywheel sometimes when it does decide to start. I'm thinking trying a new starter may be the best step.

Battery was replaced this spring with a Kubota replacement.

Thanks in advance.

PFA
20220807_123546.jpg

/ L3800 Start Issue #2  
Well you may have a weak or sticky solenoid issue from the sound of it. HOWEVER, before we go replacing starters, make 100% sure you are getting the real 12v to the solenoid/starter to "start with." The usual check ground cables, clean terminals, unbolt ground cables at the frame and clean and tighten, check each safety interlock, etc. Also try attaching a battery charger (regardless of battery condition) and see if the disease goes away while the charger is connected. The charger will put out around 13.8v compared to the 12v of the battery and if you have a bunch of safety interconnects dropping half a volt each you may not be getting 12v to the starter.
Another thing to try is tap on the starter with a long heavy rod and a light hammer tap. Sometimes these issues involve a reluctant starter due to age, wear who knows what. [I have a B2150 with exactly that situation.]