L48 split for HST repair

/ L48 split for HST repair #1  

rbargeron

Elite Member
Tractor
L5450, L48, L3250, L345
Members here may remember this L48 HST story from 2013 . It had developed weak reverse and the repair estimate was north of ten large. The owner decided to sell it as it was, and I adopted it.

With regulator and servo piston adjustments reverse worked again, but wasn't perfect. I've used it that way for quite a while. Its a strong capable tractor. But reverse isn't 100% so it was finally decided to have a look inside.

The ROPS comes off first, then the rear wheels and the main frame. The WSM describes taking off the loader and center console - but they can be left on. The loader posts were unpinned from the main frame and the steering column assembly can lift a few inches for clutch housing access.

The HST has to come apart, so the first separation was behind it. Then the HST was rolled away from the clutch housing.

In the next few days I'll post what was found in the HST and the cure. More old/new pics when swash plate cradle bearings are delivered.

While clutch is accessible, a new disk and release bearing will go in, and new sleeve and seals on the front driveshaft. It hasn't been leaking but you know it will start if new parts aren't installed. Dick B.

Attachments

• L48 project.JPG
    L48 project.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 669
  • L48 front section.JPG
    L48 front section.JPG
    451.6 KB · Views: 809
  • L48 HST removed.JPG
    L48 HST removed.JPG
    489.4 KB · Views: 795
Last edited:
   / L48 split for HST repair #2  
Subscribed, cant wait to hear about it!

/ L48 split for HST repair #4  
Talk about taking on a project. I like doing my own repairs but one of this scale would be way beyond my comfort zone. Interested to see results

/ L48 split for HST repair #5  
Chapter one on this story was great, can’t wait to see how this unfolds.

/ L48 split for HST repair #6  
Members here may remember this L48 HST story from 2013 . It had developed weak reverse and the repair estimate was north of ten large. The owner decided to sell it as it was, and I adopted it.

With regulator and servo piston adjustments reverse worked again, but wasn't perfect. I've used it that way for quite a while. Its a strong capable tractor. But reverse isn't 100% so it was finally decided to have a look inside.

The ROPS comes off first, then the rear wheels and the main frame. The WSM describes taking off the loader and center console - but they can be left on. The loader posts were unpinned from the main frame and the steering column assembly can lift a few inches for clutch housing access.

The HST has to come apart, so the first separation was behind it. Then the HST was rolled away from the clutch housing.

In the next few days I'll post what was found in the HST and the cure. More old/new pics when swash plate cradle bearings are delivered.

While clutch is accessible, a new disk and release bearing will go in, and new sleeve and seals on the front driveshaft. It hasn't been leaking but you know it will start if new parts aren't installed. Dick B.

This story scares me.
I am looking for a low time L48.

/ L48 split for HST repair #7  

While clutch is accessible, a new disk and release bearing will go in, and new sleeve and seals on the front driveshaft. Dick B.

You're right about this: "It hasn't been leaking but you know it will start if new parts aren't installed."
Nothing saved by not doing all of them; BUT if you don't do them, you will pay for sure. Does the input shaft have a pilot bearing? If so, I suggest replacing it too. Good luck! How much time in so far on the teardown?

/ L48 split for HST repair
...... Does the input shaft have a pilot bearing? If so, I suggest replacing it too. Good luck! How much time in so far on the teardown?
No pilot bearing in this model. And I'm moving at "retired" speed - a few hours at a time. It's actually at the halfway point because its beginning to be reassembled - new clutch and release bearing are installed, front driveshaft parts are next. All parts are ordered, some delivered. New swash plate "bracket with bearings" (EDIT - now expected Wednesday 3/27). Hoping to get it back together enough to run a few days later.

Last edited:
   / L48 split for HST repair #9  
The costs associated with this would be most interesting. Too few people ever mention the most important part.

/ L48 split for HST repair
The costs associated with this would be most interesting. Too few people ever mention the most important part.
The link in the first line of post #1 above gets into the costs for parts and labor for HST repairs on the L48. Due to this model's large under-frame dealers estimate around 50 hours shop time to replace the HST. The unit itself is currently priced close to $5k. Its component parts are pricey as well. If 3 or 4 major sub-assemblies are what's needed a whole new unit may cost less.

The issue with mine is worn cradle bearings - parts 90. 100 & 110 on attached parts page. Dick B

Attachments

• L48 HST internals.pdf
    275.5 KB · Views: 489
Last edited: