L5740 battery/starting issue

/ L5740 battery/starting issue #1  

Complete Turf Care

Veteran Member
Tractor
2022 Kubota Grand L6060 (no loader), 2017 Kubota Grand L6060, 2011 Kubota L5740 HSTC-3, 1997 Kubota M4700
My L5740 would not start because the battery was dead because a switch to an attachment was left on...or so I thought.
When I went to hook up my jumper cables so I could unload it off my trailer, the positive cable was loose. However, even after hooking up the jumper cables, I could not get ANY power in the cab.
I expected to get at least some power when I hooked the jumper to the positive terminal. What am I missing? Is there a fuse or relay that could be preventing all power beyond the battery?

/ L5740 battery/starting issue #2  
If the positive cable was loose there could be corrosion between the cable end and the battery terminal. Begin the troubleshooting process with a fully charged battery. Remove cables from battery then clean battery terminals and cable ends. Replace cables on battery, tightening securely. If you can move it it's not secure. Follow ground lead to frame. Clean and tighten. Check your system now. This is the point from which to begin troubleshooting.

/ L5740 battery/starting issue #3  
To troubleshoot starting and charging system issues yourself, get a multimeter and get familiar with using it

/ L5740 battery/starting issue #4  
Even with tight, clean connections, if the battery is completely dead or shorted you won't get power immediately. I'd pull the battery, put it on a charger overnight, clean the terminals and re-install. But keep in mind, when a battery gets drained all the way, it severely diminished its life.

/ L5740 battery/starting issue #5  
That's right. A good battery alone won't always have enough power to start the tractor if a completely dead battery is in the circuit.
Either get some charge into the dead battery or take it out of the circuit.

/ L5740 battery/starting issue
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't have time to work on it today, and will try some of the suggestions tomorrow. The tractor is still on my trailer. It rained today, so I didn't need it.

/ L5740 battery/starting issue #7  
On my L3130, it has a strap style battery post clamp, on the side opposite the side with the crimped on wire going to the starter there is a spade connector going to a small fuse box next to the battery that feeds the glow plugs, alternator and the dash. Have had problems with the terminal loosing connection with no start, glow plug and other issues and have had to rework it more than once. Check and see if that is a problem.

/ L5740 battery/starting issue
No luck so far. We have cleaned all connections at the battery and checked all fuses in the cab and still no power to the dashboard. I called my dealer and talked to a mechanic and he said to check under the dash for rat problems. I'll try that next.

/ L5740 battery/starting issue #9  
You haven't indicated if you've tested the battery. If it's good, go to the main fuse and see if there's 12v coming in and going out. If there is go to the fuse box and see of there is 12v on the buss. If there is, find a fuse that has 12v coming out and try the devices on that circuit.

/ L5740 battery/starting issue #10  
You haven't indicated if you've tested the battery. If it's good, go to the main fuse and see if there's 12v coming in and going out. If there is go to the fuse box and see of there is 12v on the buss. If there is, find a fuse that has 12v coming out and try the devices on that circuit.
I don't think he has a meter