L6060 Stall Guard

/ L6060 Stall Guard #1  

SDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Multiple Fords and Kubotas
Mowed for about four hours with the L6060 and Woods BB720X HD 6' cutter today. Parcel is mostly fescue and orchard grass, is irregular, some places steep and lots of obstacles. M9960 with either Woods BB840X 7' cutter or, especially 15' BW is not practical here due to the many obstacles. Parcel had not yet been mowed this year and was heavy, some places very heavy.

BB720X is HD cutter with lots of grass clearance and rear chains, so clears well. Mower is set with skid shoes less than 1" from concrete in barn, and rear of cutter is about 1" higher than front. I keep blades nearly as sharp as a lawn mower. Pulled hard today.

Rarely use auto throttle advance when mowing but do use stall guard on occasion. Cannot use both at same time because they often fight each other.

After about an hour of modulating ground speed per conditions with hydro pedal, I decided to see how stall guard would do.

Set PTO to 540 PRM and, where terrain permitted, floored hydro pedal to let stall guard control ground speed. HST in medium range. Not bad. Nearly 6 MPH going downhill if grass not heavy. Usually, stall guard slowed ground speed enough to keep PTO speed above 500 RPM in heavy grass but I did see some 480s before stall guard could get ground speed to 0.

Worked 6060 and stall guard hard. Used over 5 gallons of diesel. M9960 with 7' cutter would probably have used around 3 gallons if could have used it.

Still, happy with results. HST is ideal for heavily obstructed parcels.

SDT

/ L6060 Stall Guard #2  
Many of the features you are using for the right person it might make them look like they are a pro!

/ L6060 Stall Guard #3  
I have the stall guard set on my Grand L3560. New to tractors and it has kicked in a few times while mowing, very nice feature for a newbie like me.

/ L6060 Stall Guard #4  
I am a bit confused by stall guard. I attached my Woods SG50 Stump Grinder on Tuesday and ground out about two dozen pine stumps. The tractor worked pretty well with the stump grinder.....but I did stall the engine twice....with the stall guard on. I do need to read up on setting this function. Also my slip clutch on the SG is too tight or stuck. Only about 5 more stumps for this season.....so I may not get too serious about the set up for the stump grinder.

I have ground out nearly 2500 stumps from my trails and food plots.....and it appears my stump grinding days are about over. The stump grinder is hard on stuff....as its hard to regulate the cut and thus the PTO loads and side pressures from the cylinders on that 3 point hitch. The L 3560 works the grinder better than my old JD 3320....as the hydraulic flow is somewhat smoother via the remotes than the way I connected to the JD (used the joystick valve to operate the grinder).

I'm glad my major stump grinding is over.....as I dont want to subject this tractor to very much of that kinda operation.

/ L6060 Stall Guard
I am a bit confused by stall guard. I attached my Woods SG50 Stump Grinder on Tuesday and ground out about two dozen pine stumps. The tractor worked pretty well with the stump grinder.....but I did stall the engine twice....with the stall guard on. I do need to read up on setting this function. Also my slip clutch on the SG is too tight or stuck. Only about 5 more stumps for this season.....so I may not get too serious about the set up for the stump grinder.

I have ground out nearly 2500 stumps from my trails and food plots.....and it appears my stump grinding days are about over. The stump grinder is hard on stuff....as its hard to regulate the cut and thus the PTO loads and side pressures from the cylinders on that 3 point hitch. The L 3560 works the grinder better than my old JD 3320....as the hydraulic flow is somewhat smoother via the remotes than the way I connected to the JD (used the joystick valve to operate the grinder).

I'm glad my major stump grinding is over.....as I dont want to subject this tractor to very much of that kinda operation.

Stall guard is a transmission control feature. It works by reducing ground speed if the engine becomes heavily loaded. It will not help with PTO loads.

You should slip/adjust your SG slip clutch. If stuck or adjusted too tightly (just about all of them are) you can damage internal tractor parts.

SDT

/ L6060 Stall Guard #6  
Stall guard is a transmission control feature. It works by reducing ground speed if the engine becomes heavily loaded. It will not help with PTO loads.

You should slip/adjust your SG slip clutch. If stuck or adjusted too tightly (just about all of them are) you can damage internal tractor parts.

SDT
Correct. It let's off the go pedal to slow the tractor & hopefully prevent a stall. It will have no effect if you bury a PTO impliment in something.

You need to do manual maintnance on a slip clutch or they are locked up solid & completely useless. When the slip clutch on my tiller is completely loose & springs untensioned during spring maintnance, the rust can still make the tiller snap a 2x4 like a twig. Add that to normal tension on the clutch & it wont protect anything.