Oil & Fuel L6060 trash in fuel tank

/ L6060 trash in fuel tank
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. Been having similar issues with our '13 L6060 HSTC, stalling out esp under load, fairly intermittent but was occurring with increasing and annoying frequency (eg 3 or 4 times snowblowing down a few hundred feet drive). Got somewhat better after fuel treatment so wondered re algae but still occurring. No response to new fuel filter, no water in gas etc. Had our mechanic (very skilled recently retired Caterpillar diesel mechanic, seen it all) out on weekend.

Was able to detect very low fuel fill by removing line after the electric pump (the one that goes into the check valve) and running with key on into a bucket. Suspected the electric pump but able to test that by removing the line from water separator to the fuel pump and putting that in a small container of clean diesel and retrying key on - ran fine, so issue clearly between tank and pump. Removed line into water separator from tank, loosened fuel cap and blew air through the line, can hear left hand tank vigourously bubbling as do so. Flow fine after that, reassembled system and worked flawlessly afterwards.

Realize probably some debris or slime in tank (conceivable if slime may break down after agitation with treated fuel) and if/when recurs will need to drop the fuel tank for full cleanout but that is a warmer weather task if it is required.

This thread had a bunch of useful diagrams/photos on the fuel system on these tractors for future reference. Questions on the care of the fuel systems in new common rail L tractors
Glad this thread was able to help. That is the reason I posted it here. It is satisfying when efforts pay off. Many others here have done the same, and that's why I continue to visit this forum.

/ L6060 trash in fuel tank #42  
I have had similar problems with my BX and a previously owned L model. One preventative measure I took was to make a screen that fits into the tank fill neck to prevent foreign items from getting into the tank. I used piece of pipe as a template to bend some heavy wire around, welded the wire ends together and than made a "basket" out of window screen to put in the frame. It does not cause fuel to back up when the tank is being filled.

At least one member here will tell you that Kubota sells the screens, but they do not. If you can come up with a Kubota PN I'll gladly admit I'm wrong.

/ L6060 trash in fuel tank #43  
Sounds like a competent retired mechanic & not a parts swapped. Good friend to have.

/ L6060 trash in fuel tank #44  
   / L6060 trash in fuel tank #45  
I've not tried this on diesel but with gas a paint filter from NAPA makes a good filter while filling to keep leaves , june bugs and much smaller from entering the fuel tank . Don't recall the micron but they are PDS .

/ L6060 trash in fuel tank #46  
I was able to work on this project today. First, I found an old tank with a 12 volt pump on it. I cleaned it out and ran a little bit of old diesel through it. Then I stuck the suction into the right tank and sucked out what I could. I probably got 5 or 6 gallons out.

View attachment 552221

Then I removed the guard that protects the crossover hose that connects the left and right tanks.
View attachment 552223

Next, I slipped my old spray tank under where the crossover hose connects to the left tank. Remember, there is a check valve near the right tank that prevents fuel from moving from the left to the right tank, but it allows fuel to move from the right to the left. Then I slipped the hose off of the left tank and let it drain into my spray tank. This is where a little diesel spilled. I only got a few drops on my lips.....

View attachment 552224

Then I went to the water separator and blew air back into the left tank. This is what we had done to get the tractor running again. After blowing air, I ran some diesel back into the left tank from my spray tank. Actually, I did this twice.

View attachment 552225View attachment 552226

I also ran a bit of fuel through the right tank. I did stick a camera into the left tank while I had