Land Clearing With Your Tractor

/ Land Clearing With Your Tractor #21  
It wasn't the lack of TV. They didn't have cell phones!

But, I can see the motivation for clearing. You start with a little plot that maybe feeds your family. And then a little more and a little more. It must have been most satisfying and there was probably some sense of competition as well.

Often the government stipulated that you had to have so much land cleared in a given time frame, and a house built to keep your land claim.

/ Land Clearing With Your Tractor #22  
   / Land Clearing With Your Tractor #23  
I never really gave that much thought. How did the pioneers remove those stumps? I always thought of stones and stone boats, and pulling trees away by horse, but what of the stumps?

I had a Vermeer that could easily do a six foot stump without repositioning. But even that gets tiring if you have a lot of stumps. Plus, in rocky ground, you know every stump is ringed with stones. Hard and expensive on teeth.

I have a book written by my Great Uncle, and he states "in 1838 me and my chum Brother cleared 10 acres of land and burned the brush in one summer." Consider they used an axe, and ox and a match, that was pretty productive.

My understanding is, for the most part they just farmed around the stumps because back then, a tree was huge, so there were fewer of them per acre. They did however have means to remove stumps. One method was a tripod made out of wood with a big threaded rod. That was attached to the stump and a team of horses walked around and around until stump was ripped from the ground.

Another method was a lever. That was hooked to the stump, then another tree and slowly by leverage a team of horses ripped the stump from the ground. Both took a long time to remove.

/ Land Clearing With Your Tractor #24  
Rocks were another story. I have found many, many rocks in my fields with a hole drilled in the center ready for dynamite, but for whatever reason were never blasted. Many on the stone walls show that they split the granite ones in half by star drill and wedges called "feathers". But where I live we have lots of slate. Once slate is split (by machine or glaciers) it is easy to split into layers, but splitting a round boulder is a bear, so these were the ones left behind.

The most interesting one I ran across was one shaped like Africa and about the size of a car. We could just feel it when we went over it with the chopper and had to pick the head up just a bit. So we opted to move it. After seeing the size of the rocks on the rock walls we knew it had to be big. It was. It took an excavator and a bulldozer working together to get it to the edge of the field.

But the interesting part was, at the bottom was the most beautiful loam you ever saw. That indicated what happened. My ancestors had dug out a hole, then rolled the rock into the hole. Over the years frost action had pushed it upwards.

/ Land Clearing With Your Tractor #25  
It always amazes me, how clever man was way back when. Even with the stump gone, those roots would have been a royal pain for cultivation. They also may well have burned the brush atop the worst stumps.

I wondered if maybe they levered over the tree and stump, while still standing using a team.

/ Land Clearing With Your Tractor #26  
Rock walls will really tell the history of the land. here in Maine anyway, most rock walls were build between 1830 and 1850. If the rocks are mostly big, then the land was probably used for just grazing, but as the rocks get smaller, you can be assured the land was once tilled.

They claim there is enough rock walls in Maine alone to be a rock wall 3 feet high, 3 feet wide would stretching from Calias to San Diego. In New England, it would be long enough to circle the equator.

A few years ago the USDA was here and we were building a road across my farm and we got into some woods that had grown up beside the fields. The USDA inspector told me to just build the road through the field to make it easier. I refused on the grounds that my forefathers had worked really hard to clear those fields of stumps and rocks and I was putting my road along the rock wall (to use as a sub-base as well) and NOT get out into the field. We had equipment, we could easy move stumps and rocks!

I have a lot of respect for what my ancestors did to make this a farm some 218 years ago!

/ Land Clearing With Your Tractor #27  
Dynalift Digs Stone June 6 1993.jpg

A stone we dug out in the middle of a field that must have eluded the pioneers. Just the surface was exposed.

/ Land Clearing With Your Tractor #28  
It always amazes me, how clever man was way back when. Even with the stump gone, those roots would have been a royal pain for cultivation. They also may well have burned the brush atop the worst stumps.

I wondered if maybe they levered over the tree and stump, while still standing using a team.

This always fascinated me too. There is a video online of how they used the lever, but I have never been able to find anything about the circling tri-pod. I saw it in a book at the library when I was a kid!

/ Land Clearing With Your Tractor #29  
I found this one sitting on top of the ground with a star-drill hole in it. They did not even try to push it out. I got it moved after 100 years, but it took 185 horses treading around an 850 John Deere bulldozer to do it.

The interesting thing about the old rock walls is; the biggest rocks are always on the lowest part of the hill. They could not haul them rocks uphill with ox and a stone boat that is for sure!!

Attachments

• 100_1942.JPG
    100_1942.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 386
   / Land Clearing With Your Tractor #30  
Interesting video. I was questioning why they were so low on that stump initially?

I was wondering the other day, if horses don't get dizzy?