Landscapes

/ Landscapes
Great pics Pete!!!! Sorry I forgot you in regards to linking this thread to that other thread..... Now I can't even remember what that thread was.

Since the title of this thread is Landscapes I'll post a couple of mine. If that's not okay, just let me know and I'll delete. I just think it's so interesting to see the differences on our little "rock" floating around in space. :)

This is the view to the Southeast at my home property. Not quite as pretty as yours but hey, it's got a rainbow. :)

View attachment 496224

Here's that same view in Winter. Our landscape changes dramatically thru the Seasons.

View attachment 496225
That looks so open and uncluttered without fences everywhere. Wow. And such a contrast between seasons on a continent is the other noticeable feature to an islander.. we have 3 seasons in one day, we have a saying down here: if you can see the hills, take your coat; if you can't, then best put it on thanks

/ Landscapes
@redman135 I got an email that you replied but it won't come up on here for some strange reason.. where in the Waikato are you?
Have always been interested in hives but never seen the point while riding the dairy train around southland, more things to shift! Yes I'd heard the honey yield was way down this year, it's more as a hobby and pollination and lots of free honey that I'm interested. There are 3 teams in the area, lots of manuka and semi remote farms that need bees. Think I will get some odd size frames for cheap as they are looking to standardize sizes.

/ Landscapes #13  
Hello olPete, I deleted the post as it came out wrong.
If you are dairying then you will run into the same problem I did. The busy time for bees clashes with busy time for dairy, and sheep-and-beef. If you do go for bees , you will find the queens are fast and elusive. By odd size do you mean 1/2 or 3/4 depth supers(boxes). they weigh 10 and 15 kg respectivly. A full depth super weighs 20 kg and the bees stick everything togather, so the smaller sizes are an advantage for an amatuer apairist.
The other thing you will need to be wary of is hive theft, there is more going on than you hear about, so nonstandard hives should be an advantage to discourage theft.
Here is a chuckle, in the 80's manuka honey was fit only for bee fodder as you couldn't sell it then. It tasted too strong. Believe it or not.
I live in hamilton these days. The country I grew up on appears similar to yours with mairoa ash soils.
What sort of soils do you have?

/ Landscapes
Ah that explains that! We are a lamb and calf fattening/slash finishing block here. On a clayish loam on this ridge, next one over is rocky as can be.. the previous guy here was right into the biological side of farming, used heaps of agrisea seaweed fert and it really hums. I have been aerating the paddocks with a groundhog just to help keep it cranking.
They are 3/4's, these hives. They have a big area and it makes sense to just have halves and full size and then that saves them mucking around. You could be a handy guy to know!

/ Landscapes
@EddieWalker
492f7a62256874852fa3df2df2049fd9.jpg

/ Landscapes #16  
eagle.jpg

/ Landscapes #18  
That one would have a wingspan of 5 feet or so.

We almost killed them all off with farming chemicals. They've made a spectacular comeback over the past 20 years. I grew up having never saw one. My first was in Colorado in 1989. There are two nests within 3 miles of my farm now.

We have a lot of Turkeys here now too. They were introduced back into my area about 25 years ago.

20150824_180419 (1280x720).jpg

/ Landscapes
I'm glad they're making a comeback. It's a shame that our national birds are under such pressure.

Attachments

• 20150720_115116.jpg
    20150720_115116.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 99
   / Landscapes #20  
@EddieWalker
492f7a62256874852fa3df2df2049fd9.jpg

Great pic. I took my pictures of them with a 35mm camera and never see them anymore because they are in an album under my bed. It would be worth it to go there again and take some new pics with my digital camera!!!!