Large concrete water trough needs repair.. How

/ Large concrete water trough needs repair.. How #21  
How deep and wide are the cracks.

/ Large concrete water trough needs repair.. How
This is a large concrete water trough. This is the type that is built on site. it's about 12-16 foot in diameter 3 foot tall. Some of the cracks are small while I do have a large crack down to the rebar about 3 foot long.

I purchased some concrete bonding adhesive and 2 large pails of hydraulic cement. Ill post some pictures of the progress this weekend.

I purchased some concrete bonding adhesive and 2 large pails of hydraulic cement. Ill post some pictures of the progress this weekend.

Well after using the bonding adhesive and two pails of hydraulic cement, my water trough is back in business. Still have some seeps but nothing major. I ran out of cement so kept the water low until next trip where I can finish job on the very top end...

Attachments

• IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 165
   / Large concrete water trough needs repair.. How #25  
Nice tank, what are you watering

Nice tank, what are you watering

It's built for cattle but we haven't re-stocked after our 8 year drought we suffered through. Currrent plan is for wildlife. Our main pond dried up this summer. I would like a place for our whitetail herd to be able to water if needed..

Last edited:
   / Large concrete water trough needs repair.. How #27  
Fight fire with fire. Masonry problems are cured with masonry products. Clean crack and repair area. Get acrylic fortifier (acryl 60 etc), bag of surface bonding cement (aka b bond), and a bag of Thoroseal. Pack crack with the b bond, then skim over the damaged area. Next day 2nd coat. Use the acryl 60 as part of your water in all steps. Then coat the repaired area, or preferably entire trough with Thoroseal, 2 coats. One bag goes a long way. It'll be fixed till the next settling and makes more cracks...
Thoroseal with acrylic fortifier is amazing. I went into my cistern, made of concrete block with washed out joints, cracks, and holes and did all of the above, it's like a new tank. 1,000 gallons of spring water inside, no leaks outside.

/ Large concrete water trough needs repair.. How #28  
Use it as a form and line it with fiberglass, will last another lifetime. Get the FG at a marine supply place or industrial pipe supply house.

Ron
I've lined many an oil field than battery with fiberglass. But it is flammable. We had big rolls of fiberglass and 55 gallon drums of resin. Usually the owner would slip off and do the tank jobs. I'd cut it all out on the floor because some tanks were 12 -15 ft diameter. Then I'd number those pieces and draw out a map how they went. Boy, he never had it that way. It was an industrial sand blast painting place. Lots of chemical plants around here. We were using things that could not be sold in California. Skull and cross bones on everything. Dangerous. That owner was blown out of a tank and had nothing on but his belt and one back pocket that had his wallet in it. Was in the burn unit several weeks. It was 30 miles to a hospital and he drove himself. One guy fell off a ladder or ladder fell over rather, on a large tank. Pipes were run across near ground about a foot high. He landed on his feet but went forward and bend both kneezs the wrong way. Put him in the truck with legs hanging out the passenger window and anothr 30 mile trip to hospital. Legs shattered. Healed that and put two bionic knees in. As soon as he could hobble around on crutches he was back out barking orders. I stopped by and visited with a fellow said he had to work that night switching wells. Got word they couldnt find him at 2:30 am. Found him cut in half at a pumping unit. From under his left arm to between right side of neck and right shoulder. I guess he thought it was off and it kicked on while he was greasing it.

/ Large concrete water trough needs repair.. How #29  
Somebody must have been looking way back.

/ Large concrete water trough needs repair.. How #30  
A liner isnt a bad idea. A roll of 30mil maybe. You could clean out the whole insides with a pressure washer, open the cracks and have someone come in and shotcrete it. spray the cracks a couple times then the whole tank. They build swimming pools that way.
maybe get ahold of a swimming pool company...