Latest grab by auto manufactures

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #271  
Or something happens to the signal. I was laying out a harvest block a few years ago, flagging out the 75 foot buffer along a stream. All of a sudden my GPS showed that I was a full 1/2 mile away from where I knew that I was, and nothing that I tried would bring it back to being accurate. It was about noontime on Friday so I took it as a sign from God that it was time to go home.
The following Monday it was accurate again. I don't know if it was sunspot activity throwing the thing off or what.
That same thing happened to me coming home yesterday! All the sudden the truck navigation on my 2016 F150 put me way over in another county! And show that I was driving in the middle of a field or something. Will check it out again today

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #272  
I find waze to be superior to other options when trying to find the quickest or shortest route. It uses data from its users to determine slowdowns and I have learned shortcuts even close to home. Waze has probably saved me hours of my life, both in fewer hours on the road and less stress. It is best, for me, when dealing with traffic in cities.

That being said, I don't NEED a GPS, I just find it to be a handy tool. Just like a hammer. I could use a piece of angle iron, rock, or some such to pound a nail, the hammer is just more efficient.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #273  
They don’t just prey on the fear, they first try and create some irrational fear then try to have you believe thier gizmo will protect you from it and possibly everything else.
My husband and Hay dude both use the same words “wusification of America” to describe some things.

Back in the late 60’s or early 70’ can’t remember exactly they tried an experiment by having car salesmen giving choices on cars with safety features and cars without. More chose without. I wonder if given the choice now how many would buy the car without all the safety features if offered and you could have the one without for 1/2 the cost of the other?

Janet

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #274  
As I sit here with our new driver, waiting to be unloaded. I just wanted to update. Her GPS tried to take us off the highway and down a tight country road that is not for Trucks pulling 53ft trailers. Ge that atlas was spot on again.

Janet
Where are you? I've never once had the problems GPS problems you seem to run into daily?

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #275  
Where are you? I've never once had the problems GPS problems you seem to run into daily?
Don't know about her situation, but a few years ago we used GPS to get to the Dr. Pepper Museum in Waco, TX. We ended up in a parking lot on the Baylor University campus.

GPS and old maps can be wrong. My biggest peeve with automaker built in GPS is that they are outdated before they ship. Then they want to charge you to upgrade. When they added Android Auto and whatever Apple people use, it allowed me to use up to date directions from Waze right on my dash screen.

As a side note, I think there is an optimal size for those screens. Our Outback has about an 8 inch screen and it seems about right. Drove my mom around last week in her older Prius and it had a 4 inch screen. Too small. My wife's Prius has the 11.6" long one and I hate it. Too hard to drive and see what you need.

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #276  
I rarely if ever use GPS so please don’t think I run into these problems regularly.
This has been some things I noticed the past few days rideing with a new driver my husband hired. It’s his policy to have one of our more experienced drivers or himself work with new drivers until they are comfortable with the routes, policies and procedures and he is comfortable with thier driving and safety practices. With him being away I am having to fill in the gap and start the process until our senior driver returns from vacation.

Most of this drivers routes will cover eastern PA, NJ, Delaware and Maryland with an occasional run into New York. Most originate off the I81 corridor between Shippensburg and Scranton PA and end from Allentown eastward into Jersey. Almost everything is a Home daily route. I see most of the issues with the GPS at this point between 501 and mid way into jersey but have also watched it turn her around and try to put her into trouble in Hazzleton and Scranton.

One thing that intrigues me is her GPS when working without her phone can’t seem to recognize some of the NJ addresses if anyplace west of the I81/78 split but if you get past 61 on I78 it seems to be able to recognize and find them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Janet

/ Latest grab by auto manufactures #278  
I live on a rural two lane oil and chip road but there is a four lane road nearby. We have noticed an increase of people shortcutting by our house and some of the roads nearby. Depending on where your going the “shortest route” from gps takes you by our house or other nearby back roads. I get it, there public roads that’s fine but the big rigs are a problem, they can’t make the corners. I talked to the county engineer about putting up “NO THROUGH TRUCKS” signs up. This requires working with the state DOT. In other words nothing is going to happen.
A rural road as narrow as 9’ with only local resident traffic became a freeway due to GPS…

It is now closed to through traffic.

Last edited:
   / Latest grab by auto manufactures #279  
What GPS are you using?
I think it’s a Garmin but I would need to confirm that before stating it as fact.

Janet