Lattice install under the deck?

/ Lattice install under the deck? #1  

summit151

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey 1135
Hello I would like to install some lattice underneath my deck and I am wondering if you guys and gals have any pointers or ideas how to install it on this particular deck?

IMG_0451.jpgIMG_0452.jpgIMG_0454.jpg

/ Lattice install under the deck? #2  
The easiest way to make it look straight and smooth is to make (2x2) frames for each section that can be secured to the bottom of band boards at the top and at the concrete pads at the bottom...

/ Lattice install under the deck? #3  
Is your goal decorative or critter/insect/debris control? I tried a few things and nothing kept stuff from getting under. Finally had to go with hardware cloth. If you want appearance, you could put lattice over the HC, using the 1x2 or 2x2 frames.

/ Lattice install under the deck?
All I want it for is appearance to finish off the deck. What do you mean by HC?

/ Lattice install under the deck? #5  
hardware cloth. it has about a 1/2 in square with welded wire.

/ Lattice install under the deck? #6  
On a similar deck, I built panels that matched the railing structure above. It looked much better than the cross hatch lattice that was originally installed. I put netting on the backside to keep the leaves out.

/ Lattice install under the deck? #7  
U KNOW your going to use lattice.. I would just get a few sections/panels & do a trial & error..
I'm sitting here w/ a lot of ideas.. how about this, how about that.. but its hard to REALLY TELL unless your there moving it around..
WHATEVER U DO, get the PLASTIC lattice..
& keep in mind access.. put a few sets of hinges on a panel..
& PLEASE Post a pic or 5 of the result..

Really good idea Kenny..

/ Lattice install under the deck? #8  
The lattice makes excellent kindling. If fire is a concern, I'd suggest something else. When we redid our deck we replace the lattice with fiber cement boards.

/ Lattice install under the deck? #9  
^^ OP isn't in Cinderfornia, but that's another reason to use wire mesh of some kind. There are some decorative versions available for not a large cost.

/ Lattice install under the deck? #10  
Might consider putting heavy black plastic of sort just under dirt/gravel help keep grass weeds etc. from growing,also some sort wire fencing to keep critter out.