Lawn Sweeper

/ Lawn Sweeper #11  
anyone have experience with a pull behind lawn sweeper?
I have looked at a lot of them, Powered and othyerwise.
All the ones' I've seen are so bad that I decided to instead look for the drum sweeper as a used part that I can buy separately and build my own around it.
I've even considered building my own drum sweeper. It can't be that hard.

/ Lawn Sweeper #12  
I have an older AgriFab sweeper that does a good job, but I rarely use it. If I have to pickup clippings when I get behind I generally use a walk behind and small bagger.

/ Lawn Sweeper #13  
I use a push mower with catcher near air conditioner and leave clippings on remainder for a healthier lawn and less fertilizer. Those few clippings go in compost and free wood chips from tree service for mulch. Less labor that way.

/ Lawn Sweeper #14  
I used an agri-fab for a few years and gave it to my neighbor when I bought my Walker with grass handling system. My neighbor used it several years after that. The one I had was cheap and needed repair once in awhile but it worked.

/ Lawn Sweeper #15  
I have a sweeper and like it. Look at a good quality one. I have two, one is great, a cheaper one is terrible. The better quality sweeper has a much better adjustment to get closer to the ground if needed. Picks up grass clippings, mulched leaves, sticks well. I have both up north, and can't tell you the names off-hand. Had them both for years. As I'm typing this, I should dump the cheap one, not sure why I still have it.

/ Lawn Sweeper #16  
I used one of the Agri Fab pull behind sweepers for years. I pulled it with my 3 wheeler, Honda Big Red vintage 1985. I generally used 2nd and 3rd gear. I had a JD 750 with the 60 inch deck with side discharge. It took about 2 hours to cut the grass and about 20 minutes to sweep the yard. I didn't sweep the yard after every cut only when the grass started to accumulate. The I think I purchased at least 2 of the sweepers over that time period. The last sweeper I purchased only lasted one year. Agri Fab upgraded the wheel drive train to plastic drive gears. The wheel hub was still cast aluminum ?? but the small pinion drive gear was plastic of some kind. It didn't hold up. I never used the sweeper behind my mower. It was to awkward and to slow to effectively pick up the grass. With the three wheeler I would some times go to fast and throw the grass over the sweeper bag setup. And then I would need to circle back. Also the sweeper would skip/ wheels slide/ until there was sufficient grass weight in the sweeper. Last item is that it would stand up some of the grass and weeds that maybe did not get cut completely. That's all I know. Later

/ Lawn Sweeper #17  
I have a Brinley pull-behind sweeper. For the most part, it worked fine for about 12 years. If you keep it cleaned up between seasons and stored indoors it should last. However, the bottom and fabric wore out and I'm looking for replacement options. I think it was about $300 when I bought it, so that's about $25 a year for leaf and grass pickup.

Last edited:
   / Lawn Sweeper #18  
I'm on my second Agri-fab sweeper. The first one I destroyed the wheel gears so that I learned to set the depth of sweeper just enough to lightly whisk the top of the fresh cut grass. Also wait until the grass has dried out some (just a couple of hours) as a bag of wet grass is HEAVY, when you try to pull the rope to empty the basket. The results I really like is to De-thatch the yard and sweep up that debris.

/ Lawn Sweeper #19  
I have an AgriFab 52" sweeper.
It works quite well.
It cannot have the brushes set to close to the ground or it will not work as well as it is capable of.

/ Lawn Sweeper #20  
Hi all,

Anyone have experience with a pull behind lawn sweeper? I have a Kubota BX2680 with a 60" MMM. I just want to gather clippings for mulch when I need some. I know there are several brands to choose from.

Thanks
Dave
I have gone through two of them over the years. They are cheap when on sale and surprisingly durable. In my salad years as a country home owner I was determined to gather the leaves from our three-acre lawn, and haul them to a dumping area at one end of the patch. I found the best tow vehicle was any 3 point hitch sub compact tractor, because I could adjust the sweeper on the fly by raising the hoist, thus tipping the sweeper back to engage the beaters. For travel with a load, I could lower the hoist and disengage the beaters from the lawn or gravel driveway. A pull on a stout rope looped over the tractor seat took care of the dumping. Repair parts for the sweepers are available online. On one occasion I replaced the bearings on the wheels, which had worn out after a lot of use. Your Kubota would do well to have a tow bar attached to the 3 pt hitch for easiest handling of the sweeper.