Leaf Collection Options?

/ Leaf Collection Options? #21  
I see what you did there. :laughing:

/ Leaf Collection Options? #22  
Funny, but true. I have 6 or so sycamore trees, and the leaves are certainly "robust".

Yeah, it's a love/hate relationship with my sycamores.....beautiful, stately trees, but so messy! Part of the deal when you live along a river. I have several with 50+" diameter trunks....big, big girls, and LOTS of huge leathery leaves.

I'm "sick-a-more" leaves, does that count? :laughing:

Sure does! My feelings exactly by about Thanksgiving time! :confused2:

/ Leaf Collection Options? #23  
Yeah, it's a love/hate relationship with my sycamores.....beautiful, stately trees, but so messy! Part of the deal when you live along a river. I have several with 50+" diameter trunks....big, big girls, and LOTS of huge leathery leaves.

I planted mine along a stream about 18 years ago, so they are not as big as yours. Probably 20" or so in diameter. Kinda cool though, as they were like 24" tall saplings when I planted them.

/ Leaf Collection Options?
.....If you get a tow behind unit the biggest problem you will run into is your 61" deck. The 61" deck usually puts out more than the hose can take and you have to take "bites". We have a Trac-Vac, I hooked it to our ZT with a 54" deck and spent more time unclogging the hose than I did actually getting leaves up.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Good info that I didn't even consider, thanks.

.....I bought a 12 hp Cub Cadet cheap, and dedicated it to the Vac, as I use it weekly......

That's a good idea, I'm now kicking myself for giving our nice little JD X310 with 42" deck to my son because I didn't think I'd need it anymore. :mad:

....... If money were no object I would but a 5' collection flail mower for my tractor. Those things are awesome.

You may have solved my problem RJ., thanks! I just bought a flail which I've been using on the meadows, it really does mulch the weeds up. I never considered using it on the yard areas for leaves.

/ Leaf Collection Options? #26  
If you get a tow behind unit the biggest problem you will run into is your 61" deck. The 61" deck usually puts out more than the hose can take and you have to take "bites". We have a Trac-Vac, I hooked it to our ZT with a 54" deck and spent more time unclogging the hose than I did actually getting leaves up. A friend gave me an old Cub Cadet with a 32" deck and in 2 years I've only had to unclog the hose a couple times dues to the leaves being to wet. We have 3 large willow oaks in our yard and leaves are a pain.

I guess this is a very situation specific issue. I have a Cyclone Rake Commercial Pro and a 62 inch deck on my JD. I get a clogged hose maybe once a year and that's always due to picking up sticks that get caught in the corregations. My deck can't put out enough leaves to plug the CR.

/ Leaf Collection Options?
I wouldn't have thought a flail mower would do a good enough job....interesting option if it works. Anyone tired it???

I'll find out in a few weeks or so.

I guess this is a very situation specific issue. I have a Cyclone Rake Commercial Pro and a 62 inch deck on my JD. I get a clogged hose maybe once a year and that's always due to picking up sticks that get caught in the corregations. My deck can't put out enough leaves to plug the CR.

Good to know. If I do end up going with a vac I'll be sure to make Cyclone, or whoever I'm buying it from, aware of my deck size.

/ Leaf Collection Options? #28  
oosik
Whoopy Do & a double Ya Hoo. This year - no raking of the pine needles. They all fell with no wind to blow them out onto the lawns. Pine needles can be a real ***** to rake.
Good size back pack blower does :thumbsup: job.

Lucky you.... This year almost 2-3 inches of oak leaves and acorn ... Bumper crop.... Grrrrr...

Must have remove 20 trailer loads (vacuum leaf catcher) off lawn and driveway this year and killed several thousand acorn the were germination ... Probably a "bumper crop" year...

Dale

/ Leaf Collection Options? #29  
I planted mine along a stream about 18 years ago, so they are not as big as yours. Probably 20" or so in diameter. Kinda cool though, as they were like 24" tall saplings when I planted them.

That's great! As you know, they grow really fast, if they can keep wet feet.

/ Leaf Collection Options? #30  

I agree.. I have a Cyclone Rake XL Pro & I get it clogged maybe one time per year, & like you said it is usually do to sticks getting stuck. Had it originally on our Husqvarna zero turn with a 62in deck & now have it on our Exmark zero turn without issue. It is powerful, does a better job than I anticipated (yes running the mower deck at the same time) & mulches them up really well. Now I don't know the Trac-Vac line, but the Cyclone Rake we have, has an 8" diameter pick-up hose & a 8 hp motor which I'm sure is a big factor in it not clogging.