Leaking SUDT out mid PTO...BX2660

/ Leaking SUDT out mid PTO...BX2660 #1  

amg280

Silver Member
Tractor
2011 Kubota B3000
Been noticing small drops here and there. I looked under it briefly and it looks like its coming from the Mid pto that hooks to the mower. Going to look closer today and take the mower off and clean it. If it is leaking, is there a seal that can be replaced from the outside? Also, this is the same PTO that wrinkled two driveshafts on my snowblower if you guys remember. Im hoping I didnt damage the bearing it rides on or has any radial play. If thats the case, chances are a new seal would be a temporary fix :( and the tranny would have to come out. Blah!

/ Leaking SUDT out mid PTO...BX2660 #2  
Looks like seal is outside of case, but shaft and bearings require case to be separated. Good luck. I hope it is not a bent or gouged gearshaft.

32430-25540 seal: $6.50
08101-06205 bearing front: $6.55
08101-06204 bearing rear: $6.10
K2581-11712 gearshaft: $85.12 Ouch!

Attachments

• mid pto Parts.pdf
    74 KB · Views: 333
   / Leaking SUDT out mid PTO...BX2660
Took a quick look at it last night. The seal wasn't pressed in all the way, coming out almost on one side. I took a hammer and gently pounded it flush with the tranny case.Then I used brake clean and a rag to make it spotless. I checked the PTO shaft for wiggle, and everything seemed tight (thank god). I started it up and ran the mower for 5 minutes at full throttle. Looked under there, and everything is dry. The real test will be when I use it to mow for 4 hours next time (if it ever stops raining). I hope the seal stays. The local mechanic said check the case vent. I don't know where that is though, and I also think it would have pushed the dip stick out before the seal if that was plugged with a bees nest or something.

Will keep you updated.

/ Leaking SUDT out mid PTO...BX2660 #4  
Took a quick look at it last night. The seal wasn't pressed in all the way, coming out almost on one side. I took a hammer and gently pounded it flush with the tranny case.Then I used brake clean and a rag to make it spotless. I checked the PTO shaft for wiggle, and everything seemed tight (thank god). I started it up and ran the mower for 5 minutes at full throttle. Looked under there, and everything is dry. The real test will be when I use it to mow for 4 hours next time (if it ever stops raining). I hope the seal stays. The local mechanic said check the case vent. I don't know where that is though, and I also think it would have pushed the dip stick out before the seal if that was plugged with a bees nest or something.

Will keep you updated.

I would agree, but you dog looks quite concerned. Just kidding...but everytime I see your dog in the avatar, he looks concerned. Have you told him your bearings are good...that might cheer him up.

I would truly check the vent. I think it may very well push a seal out before the dipstick. It is luck of the draw, really, and there is little reason for the seal to become displaced if not for some sort of pressure increase.

I would agree, but you dog looks quite concerned. Just kidding...but everytime I see your dog in the avatar, he looks concerned. Have you told him your bearings are good...that might cheer him up.

I would truly check the vent. I think it may very well push a seal out before the dipstick. It is luck of the draw, really, and there is little reason for the seal to become displaced if not for some sort of pressure increase.

Do you know where the vent is located? I will check it tonight. The tractor has I think about 155 hours on it.

Sadly that dog died (Sam) March 23 of this year :( from cancer. He was 11.

Thanks for the advice. I don't want to lose anymore SUDT, that stuff is expensive!! The seal felt solid as I tapped it back in. It felt tight.

/ Leaking SUDT out mid PTO...BX2660 #6  
Do you know where the vent is located?

Just read on another thread by another poster that the BX vent is that little red button right under the top link bracket. I was just looking at mine the other day (doing the 50hr service) and was wondering what the heck that red button was. I don't see how it works, but if yours is stuck somehow, maybe you do have an over pressure situation.

Sorry to hear about your dog. Our golden is 14 and has seemed on her last leg for a year and a half, but somehow she keeps going to our amazement. Still, I know the day is getting close.

/ Leaking SUDT out mid PTO...BX2660 #7  
Do you know where the vent is located? I will check it tonight. The tractor has I think about 155 hours on it.

Sadly that dog died (Sam) March 23 of this year :( from cancer. He was 11.

Thanks for the advice. I don't want to lose anymore SUDT, that stuff is expensive!! The seal felt solid as I tapped it back in. It felt tight.

Go with what Chris said. I was trying to help someone whose dip stick popped out on its own, and I just found out that there are enough changes between your tractors and my old BX2200 that I was "all wet" with my advise. His had a red cap too, but where I was wrong is the size of his dip stick hole is MUCH larger than mine, so I was giving advice he could not easily execute.

Oh, and I'm sorry to hear about Sam, a very handsome fellow.

I will check out the red cap. I knew it had to be somewhere up top, but didn't want to pull seat, fenders, gas tank, etc to get to it. Do I just pop it off and make sure air flows through it?

Thanks for the condolences on Sam. It's hard to lose a part of the family. Sad thing is, it probably could have been prevented. Our local vet really dropped the ball. They said it could be anything but cancer months and months before. Finally he barely could walk and would wimper for no reason. We had enough, and brought him to Cornell. They instantly diagnosed him over night but it was too late :(. It was affecting his CNS nervous system on his spine. Had tumors on it We put him down at there recommendation. They were truly great. Lesson here: always get a second opinion.

Thanks guys. Will check out the vent.

/ Leaking SUDT out mid PTO...BX2660 #10  
amg280 - I'm the OP of the other thread that Chris and EE Bota referred to. If you figure out how the vent (called breather in the parts manual) works, please post back so I know. If I figure it out first, I'll post back here.

I'm really suprised that no one has posted on how it actually works or how it's removed to be checked. It appears to be the same part number for many different models of tractors and RTV's.