leaky farm pond

/ leaky farm pond
When I dug my big pond, I hit an area of sand that was probably about a thousand square feet. I dug it out several feet to where I couldn't find any more sign of it along the edges, and then filled the hole with re clay from other parts of the pond bottom. All it takes is a small area for the water to leak out, but the only way to know where it is and how big it is will be to start digging and examining the material that comes out.

Yeah, I am sure you are right. For now I need to get through the rainy season so I can dry it up enough to go digging...can't wait!

/ leaky farm pond #12  
I drained my small pond once, and then Mother Nature dried it out one year when we had 100 days of temps that went into the hundreds every day without any rain. First time I rented a big pump and got all the standing water out, the second time I waited until it was dry to walk on. In both cases, there was a layer of silt that felt solid, but was more like a pie crust that held the worse mud imaginable. I dug a ramp into the side of the pond that I could drive into there and scoop out the mud, then back up out of the pond and dump it. Eventually I got into the pond enough that I was able to turn around and drive back out going forward. I can carry more in my bucket going forward then backing out, so that really sped up the process. It was still painfully slow. Then I was able to dig down another couple of feet with one massive hole that's 12 feet deeper then the bottom of the pond and about 400 square feet. Since then, I haven't had any issues and hope to never have to mess with it again.

Just be sure to have a way out of there once you get your tractor into the pond.

/ leaky farm pond
I drained my small pond once, and then Mother Nature dried it out one year when we had 100 days of temps that went into the hundreds every day without any rain. First time I rented a big pump and got all the standing water out, the second time I waited until it was dry to walk on. In both cases, there was a layer of silt that felt solid, but was more like a pie crust that held the worse mud imaginable. I dug a ramp into the side of the pond that I could drive into there and scoop out the mud, then back up out of the pond and dump it. Eventually I got into the pond enough that I was able to turn around and drive back out going forward. I can carry more in my bucket going forward then backing out, so that really sped up the process. It was still painfully slow. Then I was able to dig down another couple of feet with one massive hole that's 12 feet deeper then the bottom of the pond and about 400 square feet. Since then, I haven't had any issues and hope to never have to mess with it again.

Just be sure to have a way out of there once you get your tractor into the pond.

Man, that sounds fun{:)

/ leaky farm pond #14  
Since then I have suggested an infusion of a clay slurry with fine wood chippings and work it up till it holds water. He has very fine clay available on property and a chipper and a wood lot. So I think you are on the right track with the clay idea. You are looking for a way to plug this on the cheap. The neighbor has given up on the idea of a pond because he is into it for over 30K already.
why wood chip ??? clay is a very good sealer on its own I don't understand why adding wood chip would help ? ...

/ leaky farm pond #15  
Why add a permeable organic to your clay to seal leaks
It seems you would have more work for a worse end product

/ leaky farm pond #16  
I am retired but worked as a land surveyor for a civil engineering firm. I saw a few dams get built. The first thing done before the dam was started was a fairly wide and deep trench was dug. This would find any field tile, sand seams and other soils that would drain the pond and cut them off. This trench was then filled back in with clay and compacted. If some kind of seam or soil is draining your pond that’s going to be hard to stop. It’s possible to drill and pump concrete like slurry and cut it off but way to expensive for your case.

/ leaky farm pond #17  
I have been down the Illinois River in a canoe many times. Tahlequah Oklahoma. Enjoyed every trip.