LED bar light experience?

/ LED bar light experience? #1  

daveinnh

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4310
I have a Kubota L4310 HST with a Curtis Cab. I added 2 halogen lights atop the cab back in 2005, then replaced one with an LED fixture ~ 2015. Now the other halogen lamp died.

We have an 800 ft. crushed gravel divre that includes about 300' of 6% slope from the road, then transitions to 10% for 150' so I need to clearly see where I'm plowing.

Amazon has a curved LED bar:

Nilight - 71013C-A 32" 180W Spot Flood Combo High Power LED Driving Lamp LED Light Bar Off Road Fog Driving Work Lights for SUV Boat Jeep Lamp,2 Years Warranty

1. Has anyone mounted a similar LED bar light?
2. The truck mounted units I've seen in Town are blinding to oncoming traffic; do any units offer a "low/bright" switch?

Thanks,
dave

/ LED bar light experience? #2  
I bought a similar ‘no name’ brand light bar a few years back that has served me well (on my car) I see a few quality issues pop up on various forums about some of these bars, so you could get what you pay for. I’d think it’s worth the gamble for use on your tractor. Beats spending $4-500.
As for dimming, I’ve never seen that option. On or off! Operating it less than the recommended 9v may, but if you’re not making your own gadget to do this....

/ LED bar light experience? #3  
I installed the combo spot/flood LED lights on mine about 5 years ago. Not the curved bar. mine are straight (either 22 or 24" I think). I made brackets to mount them front and rear. They are much brighter than stock lights. They are blinding if you are in front of them. And No, mine don't offer a low/high position.

light bar front.JPGlight bar rear.JPG

/ LED bar light experience? #4  
I have 50watts of LED on my zero turn, plenty of light. I'll switch to the same led light on the L3710 when my halogens bite the dust. I also snow blow 800' driveway in the snow belt of NY state. 180watts of LED sounds like overkill. LED's use about 10% of the power of halogens. 180watts of LED would be about 1500 watts of halogen.

/ LED bar light experience? #5  
We have an 800 ft. crushed gravel drive that includes about 300' of 6% slope from the road, then transitions to 10% for 150' so I need to clearly see where I'm plowing.

Private drive? Why not use multiple lights, different lights can be independently aimed.
20200905_180723.jpg

/ LED bar light experience? #6  
I bought a supposed 240 watt light bar off eBay. I worried about wiring enough power. I checked with an ammeter and found it took five amps. That's like sixty real watts. I can feed it from my existing worklight connector which is fused at ten amps. It's plenty bright and it doesn't dim. I'm not sure a lower voltage would dim it. Some are powered by an electronic power supply which can overwork itself at low voltages. I've not dug into it. I don't worry about blinding oncoming traffic. Nobody should be in my driveway or field at night anyhow. Besides, I can always kill the light bar and run on just the tractor's wimpy headlights.

/ LED bar light experience? #8  
I bought these magnetic mount led spotlights for my skidsteer for snowblowing. Excellent lighting. I aim them towards the sides because the lights on the skidsteer are just front and back facing, so the sides were always pitch black. Got a few more this year for my plow truck for added lighting.

Amazon.com: LEMIL - 48W 5D Lens LED Work Light 12V Spot Light Driving Fog Light Off Road Spot Beam Lamp Boat Light with Magnetic Base Waterproof Emergency Light for Truck SUV 12V 24V Searchlight: Home Improvement

/ LED bar light experience? #9  
   / LED bar light experience? #10  
I bought a supposed 240 watt light bar off eBay. I worried about wiring enough power. I checked with an ammeter and found it took five amps. That's like sixty real watts. I can feed it from my existing worklight connector which is fused at ten amps. It's plenty bright and it doesn't dim. I'm not sure a lower voltage would dim it. Some are powered by an electronic power supply which can overwork itself at low voltages. I've not dug into it. I don't worry about blinding oncoming traffic. Nobody should be in my driveway or field at night anyhow. Besides, I can always kill the light bar and run on just the tractor's wimpy headlights.

When they state something like 250 watt LEDS its the equivalent of incandescent lighting.... The real telling thing is lumens.... Generally LEDs draw something like only 10-15 % of what a incandescent lamp draws...

Dale