Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what?

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #11  
I top off the fuel in my zero turn mower rifgt after I’m done mowing. Earlier this summer, i was getting ready to mow and saw that i had forgotten to put the cap back on the mower tank. Had rained during the week too.

Just put the cap on and ran it; no issues

You should be fine.

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what?
I used to be good for that 'trick' as well myself. I replaced a few fuel caps and then got smart. I drilled a small hole in the center of the cap and attached a light chain to it and secured the chain with a stainless hose clamp to the filler neck. Have not 'lost' a cap since. New caps aren't cheap either.
Ya, the 5045E has the chain on the cap----so the good news is----I didn't lose the cap.

I top off the fuel in my zero turn mower rifgt after I’m done mowing. Earlier this summer, i was getting ready to mow and saw that i had forgotten to put the cap back on the mower tank. Had rained during the week too.

Just put the cap on and ran it; no issues

You should be fine.
Thanks for the inspiration!

I've eliminated that with the in filler neck strainers. Amazing how much stuff they collect.
How does that work?

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #16  
Have you even taken a look down the filler neck yet? Some have a fine mesh screen.

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #17  
Was meaning to inspect the fuel, but wouldn't hurt to look around in the tank although IIRC the tanks on those are rather wide and would be hard to see much without a borescope.
Borescopes/endoscopes are extremely inexpensive (and should be in every mechanics/homeowners tool kit). If you are just looking inside a wall cavity for a a wire, inside a pipe for an obstruction, or in my case yesterday inside an a/c unit for a problem they are the tool. High grade ones are expensive but cheap ones are usually < $20 on amazon.

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #18  
On my M6040. There is a cord from the cap to the filler neck. There is also a fine mesh screen down the filler neck a ways. After about five years I pulled this screen. It had a couple small rocks and small chunks of pine tree branches. What can I say.........

I know that I've never forgotten to replace the cap after a refill.

/ Left fuel cap off 5045E---now what? #19  
Guess I am human---maybe to human. Filled up the tractor today and then did some spot mowing of CRP. It was dusty off and on. After mowing for about 2 hours, I realized I forgot to screw the cap back on the fuel tank. I am guessing there was close to 5 gallons of diesel that spilled out. The back of the tractor is a mess as the dust and crp residue collected on the spilled fuel. The tractor is still running fine but am wondering what would be the wise thing to do at this point? Should I go ahead and burn most of the fuel before attempting to change the fuel filter or go ahead and change it now and then maybe again after I use the fuel up more? Thoughts!
You are an environmental nightmare. You have now created an EPA superfund site. Think of all the creeks and water wells that your fuel is getting into. Just kidding, my fuel cap has been a zip lock bag and a rubber band for years now.

Have you even taken a look down the filler neck yet? Some have a fine mesh screen.
Yes and there is no screen and no filler neck. It pretty much goes straight into the tank!
1660913297437.png