Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast!

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #141  
This is why ballast so is important....

NO ballast box...
20190513_134020.jpg

About 500 pound ballast box...
20190513_134501.jpg

Don't panic, these pic were staged under controlled conditions...

JD L120 weighs in at about 520 pounds according to JD...

Dale

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #143  
   / Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #145  
   / Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #146  
Pictures taken with I-Phones don't always orient correctly, something APPLE has never really fixed.... Best solution before upload is to load pic into good graphics editor on real PC do any fixing and then save, then upload....
Some times the most modern technology is not your friend...
Dale
Android phones too.
The reason is that its faster for the phone to always save the picture in the same direction and mark "this side up" in the file than it is for the phone to save the picture with the right side up.

Aaron Z

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #147  
This is my ballast box. It is a 3' by 4' pallet box made of scrap treated lumber and plywood. It is carried on my rear pallet forks, which also come in handy for carrying other stuff like round bales, fence posts, etc.

Attachments

• Ballast Box.jpg
    Ballast Box.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 336
   / Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #148  
IMG-20130512-00016.jpg

IMG-20130413-00014.jpg

Mine. About 1/2 ton

Last edited:
   / Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #149  
Just tossing this out there. When is it too much ballast? I know ballast is great for traction and Bucket balance However. When does the weight on the rear start to become a problem? Real Axle Bearings are strained. DL Meisen showed he can lift more weight with the Ballast that's all well and fine to help with the chores but how long will Front axles last if your ballast allows you to lift dirt all day rather then Hay bales?
Just looking for thoughts

/ Let's see some homemade 3 point ballast! #150  
Just tossing this out there. When is it too much ballast? I know ballast is great for traction and Bucket balance However. When does the weight on the rear start to become a problem? Real Axle Bearings are strained. DL Meisen showed he can lift more weight with the Ballast that's all well and fine to help with the chores but how long will Front axles last if your ballast allows you to lift dirt all day rather then Hay bales?
Just looking for thoughts

I would think if you are having trouble keeping the front tires on the ground, then you might think about removing some of the rear ballast. Otherwise carry on.