Let's see your flatbeds!

/ Let's see your flatbeds! #21  
View attachment 386099View attachment 386100View attachment 386101My old girl. Built the deck, painted it and built a removable 4-way fifth wheel when I was 17. Absolutely love having it, it's handy with the flat deck like that. Three things though, 1-should have had stake pockets, 2-that dang fuel tank should have been round and hung off the drivers side frame, 3-should have built the headache rack when I did everything else, I never seem to get around to it.

I like those old trucks. I have a 78 F-350 12' dump.

/ Let's see your flatbeds! #22  
IMG_4592.jpgATTACH]IMG_4592.jpgOk, here is mine. 99 F250 SD V10, extended cab 4x4. Bed was replaced last year, old bed rusted too bad to fix when I repainted the cab. Added the Ranch Hand bumper at the same time. Bed is off an older truck cut down to about 7' from the 9' original. Frame is 3" channel, deck is about 1/8" plate. The headboard is just squared. The bed is a dump, goose neck ball frame mounted, accessible through a flip out of the way plate. Use rear air bags, on board compressor. Normally have stake sides, 18" high. Truck is my daily driver, love the dump for firewood, mulch, gravel. DO not think I would go back to a regular bed. Side note- Tractor is an old Ferguson that we use for rollover demos. The cage protects the tractor, we roll once with the roll bar up, dummy belted in like recommended, then we take the roll bar off and roll it again. First one dummy survives, second one-he gets squished. Very effective demo for farm programs, especially youth. We just pull the tractor over with another tractor. One of my retirement "jobs". Built by our local ag research station. The bush hog is used for PTO shaft demos, we wrap up a dummy around the shaft. again, very graphic, always get comments, especially with older farmers( I know someone who did that, here are some scars, had my shirt ripped off, ect.)

/ Let's see your flatbeds! #23  
I like those old trucks. I have a 78 F-350 12' dump.

I love old trucks and equipment too. Last month I almost got a 1937 international 1 1/2 ton with a hoist. Unfortunately it was 2 1/2 hours from home and by the time the weekend came around it was gone. BTW my old ford was bought brand new by my dad in 79'. It spent its whole life as a welding truck, he sold it sometime before I was born of shortly after and by chance bought it back from the same guy in 2001. It worked in Fort Mac until 2005 when I got ahold of it.

/ Let's see your flatbeds! #24  
Hoping to get this road worthy as it would be a hoot to run to town in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 95
   / Let's see your flatbeds! #26  
I'll have to see if I can find any pics of the one my brother made for his C20 in the 80's, all full dimension roughsawn white oak (uncle had access to a mill). I think the main rails started as 3x8 which were contoured to the frame. Crosses were 3x (4? 5?) with 1-1/2 decking. Headache uprights were just outside the frame, and the rack itself was 1x. Hole cut out in the center for the back window, with a piece of punched steel for a window guard (might have been 1" holes?), and the whole mess was carriage bolted together. Finish was motor oil+diesel.
He ended up making a front bumper out of a leftover piece of 3x8. All cuts were made with a chainsaw.

It outlasted several trucks, I don't know what happened to it in the end (might have been sold to a buddy).