Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #2,631  
I'm curious. Do the current line of flail mowers drive the cutter drum at PTO speed or does the gear box over-drive it? I've noticed that most have only one drive belt. My flail has three drive belts but I suspect that's because the larger drive pulley over-drives the drum pulley about 2:1 or there about.

In fact, its upper pulley outer diameter is 170mm, its lower pulley outer diameter is 120mm, so its ratio is 17:12. This mower is called EFGC flail mower in China Alibaba, you can find many of them, but it is difficult for you to identify if good or bad.

Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #2,632  
Well, after a couple of days of use I must say I am extremely impressed with the mower. I have thrown everything at it from Lantana, saplings, dried up stick debris, dirt, stones, and even some small stumps that were hard to see in the grass.
The mower has come through with flying colours so far.
I did regular inspections of the hammers and they look as good as new so far.
I re-checked the tension on the belts and greased it a couple of times so far. The only other minor thing was I re-positioned my 3PL so it sat better.
My paddocks never looked better. Still got a ways to go but......

I even got my chainsaw out and cut a lot of low branches off some trees so I could drive in under them easier. My place is starting to look like a city park. :D
I would have no hesitation recommending this mower.

Hi Alien, this mower is from a factory in my city, can you take a photo for me about its gear box brand? I would like to see what gear box they are using now. Is it "JCTT"? I m quite familiar with this mower.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #2,633  
Will do Jack, Without getting notifications any more, I missed this request. Later today when I wake up properly....

Edit

Nipped out and had a look. Yes, It is a JCTT. If you want a photo I will do that later.

I have done quite a bit more with it already and love the way it shreds lantana etc. It really does a great job.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #2,634  
Neighbor has a Ford flail mower he offered to sell. The tag is beat up and old! Looks like model: 1 22-I08 and serial number looks like I (or L) 958. He said he used it, but got a bigger mower. Looks like it's been over the mountain a couple of times!!

Anyone have an opinion of this model. I need something for a 30HP tractor to cut some buck brush. Thanks.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #2,635  
Neighbor has a Ford flail mower he offered to sell. The tag is beat up and old! Looks like model: 1 22-I08 and serial number looks like I (or L) 958. He said he used it, but got a bigger mower. Looks like it's been over the mountain a couple of times!!

Anyone have an opinion of this model. I need something for a 30HP tractor to cut some buck brush. Thanks.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #2,636  
Neighbor has a Ford flail mower he offered to sell. The tag is beat up and old! Looks like model: 1 22-I08 and serial number looks like I (or L) 958. He said he used it, but got a bigger mower. Looks like it's been over the mountain a couple of times!! Anyone have an opinion of this model. I need something for a 30HP tractor to cut some buck brush. Thanks.

Can you post a photo?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #2,637  
Can you post a photo?
Ya, would help a bit with photos.

If its anything like the old thrashed 917 I got for $100 & spent $400 & 2 weekends on, it will be way worth it.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #2,638  

Does it look like this one on eBay? Ford Model 22 108 Red Flail Mower Demo Video | eBay

D6E1719A59694E24B21F738ED04B1986.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

/ Let's talk flail mowers #2,639  
Hey Alien, nice mower but how bout a picture of that paddock? A before and after would be great but might be too late for that!