Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,691  
Toe to toe combat with big shale rock hiding in tall grass yesterday. Lost one blade but the rock split in two. I'm calling it a draw. IMG_1165.JPG
IMG_1157.JPG

Pretty impressive. What was remarkable to me is that the old Caroni metric clevis survived and it was the blade that broke off. Usually the clevis is the weak point with these rock strikes.

BTW, photo shows good comparison of Caroni clevis and blade on left with Flailmaster clevis and blades on right. Slight difference in weight doesn't bother the mower. The Flailmaster clevis has shoulders ground down to fit but is still beefier than the Caroni.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,692  
I've just recently started looking at flail mowers again. I did read the entire thread about a year ago. Roy, buying his new Caroni flail, got me interested again.

I've been looking at the Land Pride FM2584 and FM3188 mowers.

One of the tasks I have is mowing the edges of two ponds so, the offset feature should make that easier. I'm looking at the wider flails to achieve significant mowing track to the right of my tires. Right now I'm using a TSC Branded Switzer push type string trimmer. It does a good job but, it's not self propelled so, a lot of work to be sure.

Another feature of the LP Flails is both have Cat1 / Cat 2 hitches so I could use on both of our tractors.

The Woodmaxx flails are interesting but, their wider models are Cat 2 only.

The majority of my use would be with my LS XR4046HC tractor which is Cat 1.

Anyone have experience with the LandPride flails? We have two local dealers within 30 miles of ranch.

Thanks!

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,693  
I've just recently started looking at flail mowers again. I did read the entire thread about a year ago. Roy, buying his new Caroni flail, got me interested again.

One of the tasks I have is mowing the edges of two ponds so, the offset feature should make that easier. I'm looking at the wider flails to achieve significant mowing track to the right of my tires. Right now I'm using a TSC Branded Switzer push type string trimmer. It does a good job but, it's not self propelled so, a lot of work to be sure.

Another feature of the LP Flails is both have Cat1 / Cat 2 hitches so I could use on both of our tractors.

Anyone have experience with the LandPride flails? We have two local dealers within 30 miles of ranch.

Thanks!
============================================================================

Our fellow resident "Flail Mower Nations" member Docsfarm has a Maschio/Landpride flailmower on his Mahindra brand of water buffalo/mule and he loves it.

If either of those units is equipped with the cast flail hammers and brush ejection door they are the Maschio flail mowers from Italy with land pride paint and either one will work for you very well.

Land pride is making their flail mowers now and they do not have the brush ejection doors that lets you mow in tall brush without plugging and replace any broken hammers without crawling under the mower or turning the mower over to change them.

I cannot say anything as to the quality of the landpride built flail mowers one way or the other and I wish they had kept the relationship they had with Maschio as the Maschio company has always made heavy duty farm machinery and vineyard mowers and rototillers.

Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #4,694  
   / Let's talk flail mowers #4,695  
   / Let's talk flail mowers #4,696  
   / Let's talk flail mowers #4,697  
The Chinese ones are in the $2500 range from Betstco for example. There's a lot of Italian ones too, many smaller than the link I provided above.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,698  
Thanks for the info and links guys.

I think, if I can get sufficient cutter outside my right tire with wider cutter and good offset, I'll be ok.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,699  
There's also ditch bank flail mowers. They can be offset much farther over than a regular offset flail.
For example: Iowa Farm Equipment -- Maschio GIRAFFA Series Ditch Bank Flail Mowers

I have the Giraffeta 160SE from these folks ( next unit lighter than the Giraffa). It has the outboard gear box so it can reach further. When I even do normal cutting I set it outside my tire track like I do with my drum mower. This reduces any uncut mowhocks that can occur after running over the grass before it is cut. Is also slick for cutting around trees as you just adjust the reach on the go to get around them. Being able to tilt it on its side makes it also a breeze to inspect and touch up the hammer flails if needed. Well built unit.

As a side note I know many units from Europe have the trash door. Mine was supposed to have it, but I believe their regulations now don't allow that feature as of 2016. I could be wrong, so be sure to ask the dealer.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #4,700  

Thanks!

After 5 years with a 60" New Holland 918L, I have just bought and used a 72" LandPride (FM2172). I mow a 4-5 acre field with my Kubota B3300. The difference, as you might expect, is substantial. The duckfoot knives cut through tall, thck grass and twigs with ease, and the roller turns without digging into the ground. It's substantially heavier (it weights about 750 lbs.) than my New Holland, but the Kubota B3300, with the front end loader, handles the weight just fine. This is a first rate, well built machine, but then again it should be given the cost.

Sam