Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,181  
I was hoping it was really more than what their website showed.

For a tool used to mow ditch banks it seems really a goof up to have the low end be 20mm (about 3/4") I wonder what the engineer was thinking?

It seems like say 2" to 5" would be mower usable unless they marketing it towards say a golf course type application.
I guess that they send unit at lowest setting for shipping purposes but I should have put it on the highest setting first for the maiden voyage due to the many rocks that are everywhere. Fortunately it seemed to destroy the rocks instead of the hammers.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,182  
Greetings,
I am posting after using this site quite a bit to research tractor/ implements that I have purchased. Thanks to everyone that has contributed as there is a wealth of knowledge available here. I have my dad’s old flail mower, which my best guess it’s an old Mott but no tags or numbers I can find. While researching to find new knifes for this I discovered the ditch bank flail mower which is exactly what I need to mow the creek that divides my property. Then I priced them out north of 7k and thought this wasn’t going to happen soon. More reading and I found the imports not from Italy. Seems like for the most part everyone was happy with them. I decided to purchase a nova tractor BCRM 175 mostly because they had in stock. It arrived in 6 days and took a couple of hours to assemble. I used it for a short time and was initially very impressed with what it can do. I would recommend adjusting roller to highest cut on the first try as I destroyed a few rocks on my first cut, it dinged up a few of the hammers but they still seem to cut pretty well. Itching to get back on it in a couple weeks and see what else this thing can do. I included some photos of both and maybe someone can tell me more about the old one as I will be repairing it and putting it back in operation. Thanks to all for their input and opinions as it has been very helpful for me.
Hello bigalege32,

I thinkk it is a Mott flail mower, either way you can get parts for it and help from the Flail Mower Nations resident members.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,183  
I've read through much of this thread, but not all. I don't think I've answered my question from what I've seen so far.

My grandparents-in law and I share a zero turn. I'm not sure what will happen to it when they pass away.

If I ever need a mower I plan to buy some sort of mower for my bx1880. I think I would like a flail due to its multi-purpose capabilities. I have some areas under and around my Leland Cypress trees that grow up with woody weeds that I have to hit with a string trimmer and brush cutter head. I don't have any saplings that I'd be chewing up. I also have some aggressive thorny vines of some kind that come up, maybe as big around as my thumb.

The 1880 is limited on PTO horsepower, but my gut tells me I could mow my lawn and trim this type of junk okay with a flail and my tractor. Do y'all agree? I'm guessing a 48" model.

I also like that I could put dethathing flails on it and either dethatch the lawn, or tear up th surface a bit for future seeding projects.
Hello mwemaxxowner,

The BX 1880 will work well with a 48 inch flail mower. I am sending you a PM.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,184  
Hi guys,

Im about to pull the trigger on a Titan 72" side shifter. Agri Supply has a 73" Caroni with no side shift for a few hundred more. You can add side shift for 1000!:eek:.

No one else has anything in stock as far as I know. Choices Choices..

Should I be afraid for the Titan Flail for 1/3 the price? HELP!

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,185  
I've read through much of this thread, but not all. I don't think I've answered my question from what I've seen so far.

My grandparents-in law and I share a zero turn. I'm not sure what will happen to it when they pass away.

If I ever need a mower I plan to buy some sort of mower for my bx1880. I think I would like a flail due to its multi-purpose capabilities. I have some areas under and around my Leland Cypress trees that grow up with woody weeds that I have to hit with a string trimmer and brush cutter head. I don't have any saplings that I'd be chewing up. I also have some aggressive thorny vines of some kind that come up, maybe as big around as my thumb.

The 1880 is limited on PTO horsepower, but my gut tells me I could mow my lawn and trim this type of junk okay with a flail and my tractor. Do y'all agree? I'm guessing a 48" model.

I also like that I could put dethathing flails on it and either dethatch the lawn, or tear up th surface a bit for future seeding projects.
Reasonable assumption. If you can lift it, you can spin it. If it's a HST, just slow down or speed up until you don't bog the engine. Harder to do on a gear machine as there minutes not be enough gears.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,186  
Flail arrived yesterday, just in time for a thunderstorm. So did not get it fully assembled yes.
Betstco 48 HD.
To be continued....

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,187  
Flail arrived yesterday, just in time for a thunderstorm. So did not get it fully assembled yes.
Betstco 48 HD.
To be continued....

Hello and good afternoon kenmbz,

I want to welcome you as the newest resident member of the "Flail Mower Nations" from the S.E. Region of the keystone state.

Happy mowing.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,188  
So my Betstco FH-AGL165 arrived today!
Hope to get it uncrated and assembled tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20210618_101835.jpg
    IMG_20210618_101835.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 90
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,189  
Hello and good afternoon Zeppelin,

I want to welcome you as the newest resident member of the Flail Mower Nations from the great State of Wisconsin.
If you invest in two or three furniture dollies you can screw 2 by 12's to the bottom of them and use them to roll the
mower around on a flat surface /garage to store it in the off season.

You can take the steel frame to the scarp yard and recycle it.

Happy mowing

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,190  
So, I have already chipped two hammers on the Betstco Flail, don't know how since I went through and did rock removal already. The clips for the pins are junk and I had to replace 2 of the three already. The one on the top link I have the chain to the PTO line, otherwise I would have lost that one too.
It did great on the trails though and ok on the smaller fields.
Trail1 20210618_151629.jpg
flail parked20210618_142521.jpg