Life on the farm

/ Life on the farm
Fuddy, nice pics of them. Wow, she was a lot shorter.

/ Life on the farm #793  
My wife's parents taken about 1949, funny because he was 6'6", Mom 5'2"! He was in the Army WWII & I found this life insurance policy he got out then.
My grandfather's radio he built 1919-1920 when they lived near Pittsburgh. Detector was a "cat whisker", a variable inductor and soldering by flame. Framed picture of him about 1900.View attachment 855174View attachment 855175View attachment 855176View attachment 855178View attachment 855179View attachment 855180View attachment 855181View attachment 855182
Very cool... especially hoe happy they look... do many old time pictures are serious.

Dad had onr of those 10k policies from WWII...

I remember he was quite pleased when they cashed him out around retirement age and the accrued value was a lot more than 10k....

/ Life on the farm #794  
I called and my wife is the beneficiary. She's looking for his SS#. It was taken out June 1943. Wonder what the interest is?

/ Life on the farm #795  
It may be not good for whatever reason...but what if the $10K was at 4% interest?
2024_03_01_17.07.12.jpg

/ Life on the farm #797  
I called and my wife is the beneficiary. She's looking for his SS#. It was taken out June 1943. Wonder what the interest is?
I dont think dad had a choice and it seemed to be when he was 70 and I thought it was more than double the face amount???

This was over 25 years ago but I remember he was quite happy about it...

Last edited:
   / Life on the farm #798  
   / Life on the farm #799  
Grandfathers old radio, I have never put a battery in it to try it. Tube radio.View attachment 855195
That's beautiful & I collect & repair old radios. If it's battery power it probably takes an A-B battery, heater filaments low voltage (1.5,3v,) and B+ (90v)for cathodes.
If I know tube numbers I can tell a lot by that and if battery connector has 2 or 3 wires.

/ Life on the farm #800  
At the middle of the big hill, there used to be an old road from the horse and buggy days. It was a ditch, with locust trees growing up on the banks. When I was around 12, I would get paid $1 a day to cut small locust trees with an axe that grew on the banks. I still have a scar on my thumb from a sharpening accident. In the mid 70's my dad bought a small dozer, John Deere 1010, gas engine. We cut a lot of timber and pulled it out using that dozer. I used that dozer a lot as a teenager. Before the dozer, we cut a lot of timber using our 8N to pull out the logs. The 8N is all we had then, until my grandfather died in the late 80's and we also used his old 9N. This is my oldest brother filling in the old road and taking the edges off the side, so it could be mowed and be part of the field. My dad sold the dozer a few yrs ago, after I got him the L5030. I remember having a swing on the cherry tree in the background. We would braid ropes from old baler twine for the swing ropes. I also remember hanging meat from the tree limb when butchering.

View attachment 393581
This is great reading.. Thanks for posting this!!