Life on the farm

/ Life on the farm #771  
What an incredible thread! 10/10 pictures and research.

Currently eating some of my grandmother's beef potpie, the kind of country cooking that will soon only be a memory. The sit around for half an hour afterwards and then "Well, let's get back to work!" meal. This thread has been a superb read to go with my lunch and is making me a bit misty eyed for days gone by working with my grandparents on both sides, though back then I couldn't do much more than be a gopher and get in the way!

/ Life on the farm
What an incredible thread! 10/10 pictures and research.

Currently eating some of my grandmother's beef potpie, the kind of country cooking that will soon only be a memory. The sit around for half an hour afterwards and then "Well, let's get back to work!" meal. This thread has been a superb read to go with my lunch and is making me a bit misty eyed for days gone by working with my grandparents on both sides, though back then I couldn't do much more than be a gopher and get in the way!
glad you are enjoying. This picture is NOT from the OR&W, but shows a Breakdown Train lifting derailment back to the track. This might be from the C&M RR, the next county over.
20200609_093334__OH_ORW_railroad_.PNG

/ Life on the farm #773  
I had a train derail behind my old house one day. One locomotive completely left the tracks and ended up in a swamp. The other three were "close" to the tracks but derailed. The railroad brought in the mother of all cranes on rail cars (plural) to hitch and lift the swamp monster out. What a sight to see. What an idiot not to have a camera ready at the time. Picked that engine up like it was a child's toy.
But think of the equipment needed back around when the 9669 left the tracks.
glad you are enjoying. This picture is NOT from the OR&W, but shows a Breakdown Train lifting derailment back to the track. This might be from the C&M RR, the next county over.
View attachment 854893
Any idea of date? Looking at engine style, those cranes could have been around in the 1920's. Jon

/ Life on the farm #774  
Guess my earlier reply to riptides didn't get posted. Oh well. Jon

/ Life on the farm
So, the county is on it's 4th Courthouse.
While the town was Platted in 1812, The county was formed in 1813, 10 yrs after Ohio formally became a state.
1820 - 1829 1st Log Courthouse built by James Corrothers. also used as school & church
1829 - 1867 2nd Courthouse Built (burned 6/13/1867)
secondcourthouse-sm.jpg

1868-1905 3rd Courthouse, burned 2/25/1905
1900s Woodsfield 3rd courthouse.JPG

18680707LayingCornerstoneCourtHouse.JPG

2/25/1905 3rd Courthouse Burned
1905Courthouse3Burned.jpg

1905 0100_woodsfield3rdCHfire.jpg

1878 3rd Jail built behind the 3rd Courthouse This jail still exists and was in use up until 2016.
1878 Jail built.jpg

1908 4th Courthouse built, Clock installed by Howard Clock of New York and is one of the ten largest clocks in the world, which can be seen from miles away. Its four faces were installed in 1908. The cost of the clock was $2,775. The streets were bricked at that time, and there are still bricks under the current asphalt.
woodfieldcourthouse.jpg

Picture I took in 2002 when the copper roof was replaced. People complained like crazy, and were glad when it got painted green (It tarnished, but many believe it was painted). In the foreground is the Historic monroe Theater built in 1932, that has been undergoing renovations and is now open for music and movies.
20021228_092_OH_Woodsfield_.jpg

(Mom's picture) During WW2, this sign board was erected in front of the courthouse with the names of all the people that went to war, including my Dad. It is now on the wall on the 3rd floor of the courthouse. My dad is currently one of 3 remaining WW2 veterans in the county.
The county library was still in that location when I grew up, and I read a lot of books from there. The room above it, was the county engineers office. When I worked for the county during my college summers, that is where I went every other friday to get my paycheck, then walked across the hall to the room on the right, where the treasurer would cash it. Today only one entrance is open, in the back of the courthouse, and you have to go thru security now to enter.

19460704_BlackAlbum__20200708_0063.jpg

Recent picture I took of the courthouse: The state recently redid the square, and many in town were unhappy with the project.
20231124_123259__OH_woodsfield.JPG

/ Life on the farm
But think of the equipment needed back around when the 9669 left the tracks.

Any idea of date? Looking at engine style, those cranes could have been around in the 1920's. Jon
that would be a good guess.

/ Life on the farm #777  
View attachment 854811
This is at Armstrong Mill on Captina Creek, the 2 buildings on the left are still there.
My dad grew up on Captina Creek. We went there to look up the house but it was nothing but a pile of bricks. I stole one for my dad.

I grew up in Caldwell. I hated going to Woodsfield to play basketball. The court was the stage for the auditorium. If you stepped over the line on the front side you fell into the orchestra pit. The opposite side line was painted on the floors next to a brick wall. The baskets were hidden from the seats by the returns that hid the curtains.

Monroe and Noble county was a great place to grow up.

/ Life on the farm
My dad grew up on Captina Creek. We went there to look up the house but it was nothing but a pile of bricks. I stole one for my dad.

I grew up in Caldwell. I hated going to Woodsfield to play basketball. The court was the stage for the auditorium. If you stepped over the line on the front side you fell into the orchestra pit. The opposite side line was painted on the floors next to a brick wall. The baskets were hidden from the seats by the returns that hid the curtains.

Monroe and Noble county was a great place to grow up.
Howdy neighbor. Didn't Caldwell just tear down the old part of their school?
Yes, it was fun playing on our court. The seating was also our cafeteria, all they sold was some heat up bagged stuff, so I always took a lunch to school.
In this picture the orchestra pit had been covered, this was probably taken after the school was being used, as the entrance to the locker rooms without going on the stage was down in the orchestra pit in the center.

WHS-auditorium.jpg

Home team locker room entrance on the left side, stairs down to the locker rooms downstairs under the court. I still have my cardboard name from the player sign board that was near the scoreboard.
whs5.jpg

Woodsfield high school (this one) was dedicated 7/26/1917 and closed as a school in 1996, when Woodsfield and Skyview High schools were combined to create Monroe Central High school. They met in trailers installed at the vocational school from 1996 until 2012 when the present Monroe Central School opened. I went to the same HS building my parents attended.
whs35.JPG

The gym side of the HS. The parking along the gym was the only parking available, and it was for the teachers. If you drove to school, you had to use street parking around the area.

whs21.JPG

Me getting the jump ball against Shenandoah. I was the only one on my team that could dunk.
20230616_204953_IMG_9774.JPG

Dad played HS football, tallest one on the back row behind #40. He graduated in 1943 and the next year was fighting in Europe in WW2.
20050618_OH_RayNorris Football 1941.jpg

/ Life on the farm #779  
   / Life on the farm
If those prints could only talk and tell the tale of those people.
I have a bunch of pics from late 1800s or early 1900s, unmarked of people. Some I have figured out by comparing to other know pictures, some I have no idea.