Lift For Chain/Drag Harrow

/ Lift For Chain/Drag Harrow
Re: Lift For Chain Harrow / Drag Harrow

I use a 3-point carryall from TSC hooked to a spike harrow with short chains and beam clamps. Works great

SNONUT: PICTURES PLEASE.

Last edited:
LIGHTWEIGHT $149 COUNTYLINE BOOM POLE: CountyLine Boom Pole - For Life Out Here

Any reason I could not attach two slip hook fittings on two 1/4" chains to summit ring, then opposite end grab hooks to Chain Harrow mat, with or without supplementary chains on drag mat?
Alternately, CLEVIS SHACKLES, available in multiple sizes, could be used for mat-to-chain attachment.

Seems like one chain threaded through summit loop might shift at inopportune moments, or would one chain, slipping, be a useful equalizer?

Last edited:
   / Lift For Chain/Drag Harrow #13  
LIGHTWEIGHT $149 COUNTYLINE BOOM POLE: CountyLine Boom Pole - For Life Out Here

Any reason I could not attach two slip hook fittings on two 1/4" chains to summit ring, then opposite end grab hooks to Chain Harrow mat, with or without supplementary chains on drag mat?
Alternately, CLEVIS SHACKLES, available in multiple sizes, could be used for mat-to-chain attachment.

Seems like one chain threaded through summit loop might shift at inopportune moments, or would one chain, slipping, be a useful equalizer?

No pictures provided of your chain harrow that i saw but it seems that the boom pole you listed would work with chains as you are thinking. Might need a spreader bar or something to keep it from folding in half or sagging in the middle. Might need two such sets depending on how your harrow it built or its size. Seems you have a good economic option there that also provide you other uses for it later.

It seems the boom pole you listed would work with chains as you are thinking. Might need a spreader bar or something to keep it from folding in half or sagging in the middle.

Seems you have a good economic option there that also provide you other uses for it later.

The TSC 4' X 4' Chain Harrow is at the Blueberry Patch, seven miles distant.

Here is TSC's info: Loyal Multi-Use Harrow, 4 ft. x 4 ft. - For Life Out Here

My Ace Hardware has a large assortment of various strength springs. Perhaps I can use springs or HD bungee cords to provide some suspension, while still permitting mat lift to shake out detritus.

Also see Post #8.

Last edited:
   / Lift For Chain/Drag Harrow #16  
Lots of different ways to raise harrows with a three point hitch. Goggle search !

[video]https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Supplier-of-HRP120-farm-tractor-3_1666266929/showimage.html[/video]

I prefer your solution in Post #4, or the $149 TSC/CountyLine/Tarter, made-in-Kentucky, Boom Pole solution. With coal in rapid decline, Kentucky manufacturing businesses need every sale.

jeff9366

Last edited:
   / Lift For Chain/Drag Harrow #18  
I would use a 3 point harrow instead, easier to manage and works very well. I built this one years ago but it would be very easy to make a smaller one for the row spacing you need. This one cost about $250 to build in an 8 ft. width.

Attachments

• 3pt harrow 8' 006.jpg
    3pt harrow 8' 006.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 1,794
  • 3pt harrow 8' 005.jpg
    3pt harrow 8' 005.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 3,049
The Blueberry patch has used a TSC 'Loyal' (brand) Chain Harrow in size 4' X 4' for three years. Teamed with a Woodward Crossing's (brand) Tool Bar Cultivator for deeper rooted weeds, the two implements have served well for organic weed control in the rows. All we need is a mechanism to lift the Chain Harrow so we can shake out accumulated weeds and Blueberry trimmings with less human commitment.

I power a Korean Hoe for close-in weed control. We sow Buckwheat near the plants in the Spring to shade/crowd out weeds. This is pretty effective March-June, when the Buckwheat has cycled and dies. Then back to the Korean Hoe.

Based on the contributions to this thread, especially BCP's video in Post #15, TSC's CountyLine (brand) Three Point Hitch mounted, lightweight Boom Pole appears a practical solution: inexpensive and two functions, mat lift and 1,000 pound capacity crane. As the Chain Harrow mat is only 4' wide, with the boom in the middle mat overlap will be scant 2' on each side of the boom, so the boom-to-mat mounting chains will be close to vertical.

Fortuitously, TSC sent me a 10% OFF coupon last week.

Fine fabrication evident in your two photos. :construction:

Attachments

• DSC00365.jpg
    DSC00365.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 603
  • DSC00403.jpg
    DSC00403.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,008
Last edited: