Lift For Chain/Drag Harrow

/ Lift For Chain/Drag Harrow #31  
How does this look?

307656d1363028011-harbor-freight-tools-dont-suck-p1710751rspikeharrowlifted-jpg

Here's a thread where I started out asking questions the same as this thread, and my design evolved to the photo above.

Photo below was during construction:

A full-width toolbar rests in the hooks of the qhitch. This toolbar has chains going forward from its outer ends to the drawbar socket on the tractor. Designed so if (when!) I snag a tree in the orchard I will just stall instead of bending the toolbar.

Behind the toolbar, four chains going back to the mount points on the spike harrow.

Lift: A pulley at the top of a mast that was salvaged from junked exercise equipment. A wire rope goes from the back of the spike harrow up over this pulley and down to the tractor's drawbar socket. Raising the 3-point with the tractor end of this cable fixed low on the tractor, gives a compound lift to the spike harrow.

Everything to lift and pull the harrow was built out of scrap on hand. The pipe got welded to the little boxes on the angle-iron 'toolbar' plus I added plates adjacent to the qhitch's hooks. Three season's use now and I haven't bent anything.

228185d1315079829-new-toys-spike-harrow-p1650531rtoolbarmockup-jpg

One advantage of this design over a ginpole lift is: Raising the 3-point pulls the harrow in snug to the toolbar so it doesn't sway and makes the overall rig a little shorter, which helps when making a tight turn near the fence.

/ Lift For Chain/Drag Harrow #32  
Egon,

I would think that you could take that picture and the dimensions of your hitch to a local welder, and he could make you one out of scrap for less than either of those cost.

That price is ridiculous, IMO.

Can't comment on prices but there are a plethora of three point draw bar designs. The cost depends on location, having steel available and the welding rates.

If you go back and do a search you will find some really nice versitile three point hitches that posters have built.

/ Lift For Chain/Drag Harrow #33  
Congrats on the boom pole you will find uses for it you didn't imagine. It made rebuilding my brush hog so easy it paid for itself and I also have a chain drag harrow plus other attachments I can now move when working on them.

/ Lift For Chain/Drag Harrow #34  
   / Lift For Chain/Drag Harrow #35  
How does this look? (Post #31, Pulley and cable over qhitch to raise harrow as 3-point is raised).

Pretty darn good. Smart design to use an old product that way.
Thanks! I love inventing stuff. Now I'm retired and finally have time to play with projects like this. Or more precisely, I have time to resume where I left off playing with mechanical stuff 50 years ago. :)

/ Lift For Chain/Drag Harrow #36  
Thanks! I love inventing stuff. Now I'm retired and finally have time to play with projects like this. Or more precisely, I have time to resume where I left off playing with mechanical stuff 50 years ago. :)

I like the pulley and cable to raise the rear of the harrow, simple is good.:thumbsup: