Lifting a 85" TV over Fireplace

/ Lifting a 85" TV over Fireplace #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
Thinking about bringing over my drywall lift to position a 110#, 85" TV over my fireplace.

Other than being big and strong, or hiring a contractor, any other suggestions?

Wifey and I were able to lift the 65" TV onto its bracket in the Bed Room.

Not able to lift any bigger.

TIA

Yooper Dave

/ Lifting a 85" TV over Fireplace
Do you use the fireplace ? Electronics don't like heat.
Agreed. Natural gas FP - smaller than most. Use only on rare occasions. The mantle will also provide some protection. Bottom of TV will be at least 6' above the floor.

/ Lifting a 85" TV over Fireplace #5  
I assume you need to lift and place on a bracket already installed on the fireplace.

110 pounds for 2 men doesn’t seem overwhelming.

Do you have a couple of neighbors you can ask to come over, help set the TV on the bracket then have a couple beers (in that order!).

/ Lifting a 85" TV over Fireplace #6  
Without seeing the space, how solid the mantle is, or the way the tv locks on to the wall bracket... maybe:

stack blocking on the mantle up to where the bottom of the tv will be. make sure it can't slide forward.

lift the tv up with it oriented parallel with the floor and set the bottom lip of the tv on that blocking, thereby offloading much of the weight.

rotate the tv up against the wall.

But yeah, at least two people.

/ Lifting a 85" TV over Fireplace #7  
I assume you need to lift and place on a bracket already installed on the fireplace.

110 pounds for 2 men doesn’t seem overwhelming.

Do you have a couple of neighbors you can ask to come over, help set the TV on the bracket then have a couple beers (in that order!).

OP states the bottom of the TV will be at least 6' off the floor. If its anything like my TV, it is at least 43" tall - meaning the top of the TV will be close to 10' from the floor.

Don't think any couple guys could lift that much weight that high (over their heads) safely. Too easy for something to go wrong and dropping a very expensive unit. I rigged up a way to use two cable come-a-longs to carefully but safely lift my 85" up onto its mount - it's mounted almost as high as the OP's. That was 3 years ago. The high mount has worked out perfectly for me, I love having it that high. No problem seeing it over my feet when I'm kicked back in my recliner, or over tall people seated in front of me.

/ Lifting a 85" TV over Fireplace #8  
Do you use the fireplace ? Electronics don't like heat.
Don't you like watching tv with your head tilted back? It's even better if you put your seating perpendicular to the screen so you have to turn your head 90 degrees AND look up all the time.

/ Lifting a 85" TV over Fireplace #9  
Drywall lift might be the way to go. It would probably be worth practicing the process with a similar size piece of plywood first. Get all the mechanics and bugs worked out of the process with something that won't be damaged if dropped.

Doug in SW IA

/ Lifting a 85" TV over Fireplace #10  
Are you sure it weighs 110#'s? I installed an 80" by myself a few months ago, I don't think it weighed over 50#'s.

If it's more than you and your wife can handle, get two friends to give you a hand for a few minutes. Once the wall bracket is mounted, it's literally a 60 second job to set the tv.